Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Raw vegan success and childbirth? page 3

Neeleh is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    M - you may be correct about iodine, it was not tested at that time. I was deficient in something, for sure! If you are of a scientific-rational outlook, then much of what I write may appear to be nonsense

The deep philosophy of raw veganism, I'll have a go at explaining that *gulp* Anyone else fancy a shot at this??

I know a lot of raw vegans. Many/all of them are spiritually orientated. By which I mean they acknowledge and operate from a belief system that includes the idea of the unseen being as important as the material. And the influence of the spiritual on the material, and vice versa.

Exploring ideas of a conscious universe that emits an energy frequency (love? God?) that we might align with through spiritual practice, natural lifestyle - going back to the garden. Knowing that everything is sacred and desiring to experience the sacredness available in every moment.

Food is a huge piece of it. The idea is that the more simple and unaffected our dietary choices, the greater the benefits to health and consciousness. By eating raw plant foods we absorb their light frequencies and uplevel our cells and our thought processes become aligned with the univeral consciousness - love.

It is believed that a dense, cooked animal flesh diet dulls consciousness and prohibits spiritual awareness. Accordingly, a light, 'pure' diet = spiritual advancement. For some, this ultimately leads to existing on pure consciousness, life force itself - prana through inedia (breatharianism)

The book I would recommend for a more erudite and thorough treatment of these concepts is this one. It's a highly inspirational read, but may be too 'out there' for some. Viktoras co-founded the original Hippocrates Institute with Ann Wigmore.

Jenna, I'm so sorry to hear of your sister's experiences. I can understand your feelings about the diet. That's hard.
    Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Journal: Vibrant Life

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Do these super-next-level-spiritual vegans do drugs? namely weed and mushrooms? Sounds like mushrooms at least would be right up their alley... god rest ye, merry vegans.
    I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    I appreciate you writing out the ideas behind the philosophy of raw veganism. I can see how it would be appealing to people and I don't think think eating a significant quantity of raw foods is necessarily bad, but there are a lot of nutritional problems with it. Not to mention some people just can't handle raw foods (plant matter) very well. Cooking helps a lot with that. I firmly believe that foregoing any animal meat or product in one's diet is detrimental to achievement of optimal health (over time). Homo sapiens are omnivores and I doubt there is anything out there that could convince me otherwise.

I worry that people who believe they're reaching some kind of spiritual enlightenment through eating only raw plant matter are actually suffering from several nutritional deficits and are very ill. It sounds like living in a fever dream.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Wildrose is offline Senior Member
    Have you read Death by Food Pyramid? That book goes into the ways we can be different... For instance, some people have a gene that makes their bodies very efficient at using fat. They do badly on a high fat diet, a leaner version of paleo/primal is called for. Other people have very little amylase. If they try to eat a high starch/vegetarian diet, they will crash and burn. We're all different, it's just how life is.

Neeleh is offline Senior Member
    Wildrose Agree! The matter of individual constitution is really important. I will check out that book, thanks for the recommend.

Namelesswonder It's frequently said that you can't eat your way to enlightenment! As you say, the matter of digestibility and individual constitution means that cooked food may be a better choice for some. I like a big salad at lunch, but cooked veg in the evening (and plenty of it!) There are a lot of former vegans out there - who have faced dietary deficiency - myself included.

Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    Do these super-next-level-spiritual vegans do drugs? namely weed and mushrooms? Sounds like mushrooms at least would be right up their alley... god rest ye, merry vegans.
    Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Journal: Vibrant Life

MEversbergII is offline Senior Member
    Neeleh, you are correct. That does sound like nonsense to me. But that's ok; we have come into the world to work together.

M.

glorth2 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neeleh View Post
    The book I would recommend for a more erudite and thorough treatment of these concepts is this one. It's a highly inspirational read, but may be too 'out there' for some. Viktoras co-founded the original Hippocrates Institute with Ann Wigmore.

Jenna, I'm so sorry to hear of your sister's experiences. I can understand your feelings about the diet. That's hard.
    No offense to anyone but, damn, I thought I was looking at a My Little Pony VHS from the 80s or something. Find a graphic artist or something.

Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity
    I worry that people who believe they're reaching some kind of spiritual enlightenment through eating only raw plant matter are actually suffering from several nutritional deficits and are very ill. It sounds like living in a fever dream.
    That was my first thought, mistaking starving for enlightenment. Of course, I'm not doubting that some of these people ARE spiritual. It's also easy to be spiritual living in a hut on the coast of Costa Rica. But I think they start from a place of "I'm enlightened", starve, and then backwards engineer why they're feeling so enlightened.

Anyone who knows people that take hunting seriously know the spiritual aspect of taking an animals life and how revered the animal is in that practice. The idea that, say, the native americans were less spiritually enlightened than frubivores because they ate buffalo is patently offensive to me.

MEversbergII is offline Senior Member
    Yes, driving them off cliffs en masse. A minority of the serious hunters I have ever known show any kind of special respect towards the animal they kill. My experience doesn't dictate the whole, however.

Remember that starvation/dehydration for "spiritual enlightenment" was a practice in some native American groups. As was out and out drug use.

M.

Veganism is still In The TESTING stage! It's very new to society. You are definitely taking chances here

Demosthenes is offline Member
    Human beings are omnivorous and opportunistic- we can live on a wide variety of edibles. It's quite possible that she's thriving on a raw vegan diet just like some people here appear to be thriving on a strictly carnivorous diet. It takes all kinds, and we shouldn't be threatened by other people who live, think, and eat differently than we do.
    Love, peace, and bacon grease.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast