Thread: My first couple days page

VeggieToCarnivore is offline Junior Member

My first couple days

Shop Now
    I started my primal journey on Saturday after a long week on the road eating junk.

Saturday
    After a catching up on sleep - most of the day - I had a dinner of peameal bacon (no corn) spinach and tea with cream. So not a lot of calories but I'm sure the week of over indulgence had me covered. Breakdown (g) -F 12:CHO 11:PR 23

Sunday
    Tea with cream (I hate breakfast), tiger shrimp, cucumber, tomatoes, chicken breasts with butter, cocoa butter balls (modified blueberry butter balls). Breakdown (g) -F 56:CHO 15:PR 72

Monday
    Egg, peameal bacon, butter, team with cream, chicken breasts, tomatoes, cucumber, genoa salami (treat), green leaf lettuce, cocoa butter balls. Breakdown (g) -F 50:CHO 14:PR 60

Tuesday
    Egg, butter, homemade sausage, tea with cream, genoa, green leaf lettuce, grapeseed oil, balsamic vinegar, roast beef, whole unhomogenized milk, haddock. Breakdown (g) -F 75:CHO 20:PR 94

Supplements
    O3 2300 mg (EPA 1500HA 500)
    Multivitamin
    Vitamin D 6000 iu

Me
    Early thirties
    5'4"
    139 lbs (feel better at 125 lbs)
    Activity minimal lately but hoping to reintroduce weights (x3) and walking (everyday).

--Feel free to share any comments--

What I have found so far:
    1. I find the food filling. My calories are still low so I am going to try to commit to breakfast even though I usually skip it.

2. I've been SUPER thirsty even though I usually had to force myself to drink and I've tried to minimize the salt (peameal is reduced salt too). Yesterday on the way home I bought a litre and a half bottle of water (which I hate to do) and drank it in 5 minutes.

3. My brain wants gluten-y cookies or pizza.

4. I'm not ready to give up dairy particularly cream in my tea but I will try to make good choices.

5. My brain still finds the meat shocking but my taste buds are enjoying it. I'm happy to have local farmers in my area where I can buy free range chicken and eggs, pastured pork and beef, whole unhomogenized milk (but not raw) and organic veggies in season.

Khrystyna is offline Senior Member
    Hi there it looks pretty damn good to me, I would say though maybe you could get some more green leafies in there and maybe try some different types (kale, cabbage, spinach etc) to up your vitamin K and folic acid intake and to balance out the acidifying effects of a higher protein diet. Are you a female? If so I personally think a calcium supplement is a good idea, preferably with some magnesium in there too. I'm a recent convert from long-term vegetarianism too so it's cool to know there's more of us out there
    My primal adventures:
    http://foodfloraandfelines.blogspot.com/
    Cooking, nutrition, gardening, foraging, preserving, photography

Grol is offline Senior Member
    What is peameal bacon?

Welcome aboard. I'm impressed and a little excited about the weekly veggie traitor showing up around here. I like the way you recognize your brain's issues with your bodies. That kind of self-awareness is powerful stuff.

Khrystyna - thanks for the suggestions. I do normally get more veggies but my farm pick up day is Thursday and I missed last week. I love kale chips and it is an easy way to eat a whole bunch in one evening or spinach salads or steamed.

I am a woman and my multivitamin is a good balance one with calcium/magnesium - it a women's blend from my naturopath.

My friends are all shocked to see me eating meat - to an annoying point where I have to tell them to 'get over it'.

Quote Originally Posted by Grol View Post
    What is peameal bacon?
    This is an explanation I found but mine is made at a local farm without the corn, less salt and with fat still left around the edges.

'Peameal Bacon is similar to Canadian Bacon. It is cured but not smoked. Peameal Bacon is made from pork loins weighing 12-14 Lb. They are trimmed of all the fat and the bones are removed. The term peameal comes from the ground yellow peas with which the bacon was originally coated. This ensured better curing and shelf life and avoided bacterial problems. Over the years this tradition was changed to cornmeal, due to the availability of corn. '

Quote Originally Posted by Grol View Post
    Welcome aboard. I'm impressed and a little excited about the weekly veggie traitor showing up around here. I like the way you recognize your brain's issues with your bodies. That kind of self-awareness is powerful stuff.
    I've done some long fasts (no food or water) and quickly realized your brain has a lot of influence in your food choices and hunger levels/eating times (habits).

Grol is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by VeggieToCarnivore View Post
    I've done some long fasts (no food or water)
    Dry fasting is so hard core. I hope you're over that stuff.

Khrystyna is offline Senior Member
    Oh I'm the same with my friends, it took me ages to tell my family or anyone that I was eating meat. I felt ashamed of it even though they all do it themselves! I've been veggie since I was a kid pretty much so it's really been part of my identity. I feel like I'm out of the club now
    My primal adventures:
    http://foodfloraandfelines.blogspot.com/
    Cooking, nutrition, gardening, foraging, preserving, photography