Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: All my friends are SAD page

biomags is offline Senior Member

All my friends are SAD

Primal Fuel
    As a child I was thin. My mother would always complain that my little brother and I were too thin, but I think looking back I was normal, but a bit thin. Since we were the 4th and 5th children, I figure my older sisters were not as thin. This kept up right up until puberty. That’s when I put on the weight. I went straight from a child and thin to a PCOS adult and overweight.
    Also as I entered my teen years I stopped spending summers swimming and biking, but started to spend them working at the mall and studying. Gone was my bronze coloring. I went from a bronzy color to fair. This was for the best since the sun was now determined to be evil and poisonous. Something to protect against.
    Collage was an odd dichotomy for me. I was more active, walking miles a day, but my health started to decline. I gained the freshman 25 and my diet changed from a much more homemade diet to true a standard American diet. Joint pains in my knees, PCOS issues became pronounced, and a lifelong bladder condition worsened. Looking back, I also had sinus and bloating issues with occasional gastrointestinal issues. What’s ironic is, I always saw myself as fairly healthy.
    I’ve read before that if you have always felt sick you will never really know the difference. Poppycock I said. I’ve had colds and flus and then I get better. That all better stage is healthy, it must be. I almost had a breakthrough in my early teens. My at the time step father proclaimed I needed go to the doctor. I completely didn’t understand, I wasn’t sick. Apparently, I was congested and breathing so loud he could hear me a floor away. I was confused, and though no one had noticed, no one could deny it. So off to the doctors I go. The doctor examines and questions me. I admit I hadn’t thought about the congestion and it didn’t really bother me. The doctor’s results were that while I was congested, probably from an allergy of some sort, if it didn’t “bother me” I was fine.
    So fast forwarding, I’m 33 years old and right after Christmas I started a very meandering path towards primal. My first idea was to give low carb a shot for the first time ever. I was going to do South Beach, but with real foods. As much as I would eat them, I just have never really like processed foods. I truly can’t tolerate the taste of artificial sweeteners. If I ignore this in favor of politeness, I end up with mouth sores. I remember talking to a food scientist that told me it just wasn’t possible. No one is allergic to artificial sweeteners.
    A day or two in, and I have a talk with a few friends who were getting back into paleo after the holidays. One conversation later and I am doing some internet research. I decided to go low/moderate carb, moderate protein, and high fat. This made the most sense to me, since it reduced the health concerns with high protein diets. Kidney stones, no thank you.
    Within the first two weeks I was a convert. I had low carb flu, was cranky and even threw up once from the abrupt change. Sounds miserable, but magic also happened. My knees stopped aching and my bladder issues were gone. I discovered what the opposite of bloated was. I never understood people talking about feeling “bloated.” Too me that was normal, and normal didn’t bother me. My sinuses also opened up for the first time in I think ever.
    While for the most part none of these issues “bothered me,” not having them was, well amazing. I didn’t know you could feel this way.
    I’ve also discovered slips are dangerous as they lead me back to before I know my issues were even issues. Now that I know better, I think they would bother me.

I decided to do this journal since well as the title says, all my friends are sad, or at least eat a SAD diet.

Last night I went to bed early at 10pm and woke at 7am.

Today
    Breakfast: coffee
    Lunch: dried fig, liverwurst, olives, root vegetables
    Dinner: Ground lamb and spices, cucumbers soaked in vinegar and oil.

Biked to work and went for a bike ride with a friend.
    Last edited by biomags; 05-07-2014 at 11:21 AM. Reason: Added a real introduction to me

So I forgot to pack a lunch for work today. Usually not the biggest mistake. I tend to eat a bit too much at some meals and then not be hungry for some time. However, with the SAD Easter dinner I ate, I was starving. I was shocked at how many ridiculous ingredients where in meat. Why does rotisserie chicken need corn starch and corn syrup? When did sugar start becoming an ingredient for meat? Its meat, its not pie, its not ice cream. Sadly, I did not look closely at the chicken before I bought and ate it. And I may have studied science, but I honestly should not need a degree to read the label on chicken. I knew it wasn't farm raised or pastured, but I didn't realize how processed it would be. It's rotisserie chicken, not McChicken.

My Stats
    33 years old
    240lbs (started 255 in December)
    5'2"
    IT desk job

Last night I went to bed arround 11pm and woke up at 7:15am. I didn't sleep well, I think I went riding too late.

Today
    Breakfast: farm eggs, raw milk feta, grilled mushrooms and a cucumber
    Lunch: "herb" "roasted" processed chicken thighs and drumsticks, some salad, a few berries
    Dinner: Raw fermented pickles
    Evening snack: feta, 1 dried fig, stewed unsweetened rhubarb (ultra tart)

Biked to work and carried a couple 5gal buckets full of water around to water plants and change aquarium water.

Ah, so I didn't really post yesterday. I decided it would be best to post about yesterday then to try and post in the evenings. I skipped yesterday on purpose.

Yesterday was the unofficial weekly lunch out my group of coworkers. It includes one of my bosses, and isn't really optional. While its easy enough to decide not to go, it would not be a politically wise move. I've always found this to be a difficult issue to balance with a healthy life style. In an area that your career depends more on who you know then what you know, it's difficult to not join in with the business happy hours and lunches out. In fact it would be career suicide to do so. For now I save most of my 80/20 for these moments and make the best decisions possible. Red wine at happy hour, and meats with veg at the lunches.

Tuesday night went to bed around 9:30 pm and slept till 6:40 am. Woke in the middle of the night for water and cause my cats wanted more food.

Yesterday
    Breakfast: farm eggs soft boiled (oops, wanted hard boiled)
    Lunch: butter chicken, kebab chicken, lamb and vegetable all from an Indian buffet. Added a side salad.
    Snack: Avocado, 1 dried fig
    Dinner: avocado, chocolate (~2oz dark), olives, whipped cream (grass fed, no sweeteners, odd craving for pure tasty fat?).

Biked to work, was very tired in the afternoon. I blamed it on the unusual head winds.

Last night went to bed 9:30 pm, woke up with the alarm exhausted at 7:30 am.

Most of yesterday I felt a bit under the weather. I'm not sure if its allergies or a bug making the rounds at work. Strangely enough my I'm sick cravings were way different. I want fatty and salty foods. I felt better later and went out to a club happy hour. I have many groups of friends that don't always interact. This group has the most diverse eating habits you will ever find. Paleo, SAD, Vegan, Vegetarian, Low carb, Organic, Weight watches... it goes on and on. If someone asks you share info, but mostly everyone eats what they eat and leave everyone else to eating in peace. This group of friends is always the easiest to eat around, while few turn down cake for a birthday, many give their piece away or never eat it.

So I weighted in this morning, 238 lbs. More exciting, my stretchy jeans that I had to struggle to button at Christmas needs a belt badly. Also dress pants I haven't worn in a long time (2012?) fit perfectly.

Yesterday
    Breakfast: soft boiled egg (last one)
    Lunch: pastured chorizo, rhubarb
    Dinner: egg salad
    Snack: avocado

Did not bike or do much active wise. Was tired and a bit off. I didn't want many vegetables. I'll listen to my body and only worry about it becomes a trend.

Last night went to bed at 11pm and didn't fall to sleep easily. Woke up at 8:30am (I'm off work every other Friday).

So the weekend was way busier then usual, and I made many not so wise decisions. I actually contemplated what to write, what to do and where to go from here. I decided to take apply an answer my Aunt gave to keeping kosher and mistakes when I was curious.

My aunt's house has used a significant amount of labels and color coding to help keep kosher. One color plate is for meet, one for dairy and one for neither. They never mix meat with dairy and do not eat pork. They buy kosher meats and avoid shell fish. I asked my aunt what happens if they accidentally used the wrong plat or found out they just ate pork. I was mostly worried I'd accidentally get meat on the diary plates and cause the cosmos to rain down fire. Having had my sibling visit in the pass, I think she new my concerns. My aunt just looked at me, we out missing a beat and with a smile, looked up and gestured with her hands slightly to the ceiling and said "I just say, sorry god. and then move on"

So in regards to the weekend I will just day "sorry body" and then move on.

I've had lots of compliment on loosing weight, more so then expected for the number of lbs down. I think my body is slimming and I'm gaining muscles.

Friday
    Breakfast: Nitrate free pasture bacon, mushrooms, carrots. Cooked in lard. Topped with a bit of grass fed butter.
    Late lunch: restaurant burger with blue cheese and bacon. Side salad with burger juice for dressing.
    Late night dinner: 10 McNuggest. (the start of my iffy choices)

Danced a bunch and did set up and take down for all the decorations for my clubs spring dance.
    Went to bed at 2am woke at 10 am. Was cranky the last 3-4 hours I was awake. I just wanted to go to bed.

Saturday
    Breakfast: NA
    Lunch: taco bell bowl. Ate around the corn and rice.
    Dinner: 60's american party foods. Salmon/cream cheese mold, cream cheese and caviar, shrimp cocktail, bacon wrapped teriyaki chicken, olives, veggie tray, 1 mai tai (rum, pineapple juice, orange juice), one martini. No crackers/chips, all dips were eaten with vegetables or a spoon.

A good friend turned 50. We celebrated with a mad men themed party. I was dressed in mod and bartender.

Went to bed at 1 am and woke at 9 am. ugh, I wanted to go to bed much earlier.

Sunday
    Breakfast: NA
    Lunch: Very large german beer, german brats, fries, a potato pancake.
    Snack: iced latte
    Dinner: pastured nitrate free bacon and acorn squash. (omg, this was the best thing I ate all weekend)

walked around a flower festival for 2-3 hours.

Went to bed at 10 pm, woke at 7:30. Did not want to get up and start the day at all.

Ok so not the best choices this weekend, but in another life I would have eaten much worse and slept less.

MamaMidwife is offline Junior Member
    Are you in Oregon? I'm wondering if you went to the tulip festival.

bullymama is offline Senior Member
    Hi Biomags! Just popping into your journal. You have a great attitude. Love your quote, "sorry body. And then move on..." That's the way to do it. We all slip up...it's normal, we're human. I'm only 1 month into primal eating and I'm still learning a lot myself. All the best to you!

Last night began what looks to be 4 days of rain. The weathermen say I may see the sun sometime Thursday, but otherwise its on vacation. Everyone around me is dragging a bit more today. I know scientists have relegated humans to having almost no instincts, and pretty much none past infancy, but my instincts tell me hunting and gathering will not be successful today. I should just relax by the fire.

I'm tired and moody and would have liked to of hid in my bed/cave all day.

The results of the weekend caught up with me Yesterday. My blood sugar felt all out of whack. I was shaky and ravenous before dinner and ate what every I could get my hands on. It was a return/revenge of the carb flu. Thankfully my house is all paleo. I was surprised at how quick my body reverted.

Yesterday:
    Breakfast: Coffee
    Lunch: kimchi, hard boiled eggs, pistachios, fresh melon/berry fruit cup
    Dinner: ground lamb, lots of hearts of palm, artichoke, a dried fig, avocados, heavy cream

went to bed about 11 pm, and woke first at 3:30 am. Not sure why, but went back to sleep till 7 am. I wasn't really tried but I didn't want to get out of bed, its raining and chilly outside.

MamaMidwife -I'm just outside Washington DC, so no tulip festival sounds like alot of fun.

bullymama -It's gotten easier to know what I should be doing. I'm still learning and figuring out what works best for me. Since I'm really trying to put stock into this being a way of life I figure there is no "cheating" or "falling off the wagon" just more adherent or less.
    Last edited by biomags; 04-29-2014 at 09:35 AM.

So once upon a time I studied science in collage. Its how I got the screen name biomgs - bio (biology) mags (mags for margo). I had a decent career, but with only a BS in microbiology/chemistry I couldn't make it, but I did know my stuff. Many of the details I used to just know I'd now have to lookup, but pathways and genetics where my forte. I also loved the history of science, and much of it is not all that nice.

Blah, blah, blah.

Why does any of this really matter? Well one of the reasons I decided to give low carb/primal/paleo a shot was the double think that was driving me crazy.

1. Left over unused carbs unused turn into fat. This is just a fact, like the sun is hot. So why then is eating fat bad?
    2. It used to be salt was only bad if you were on diuretics. Salt counteracts diuretics. The original low salt people where on diuretics, so why is salt now bad for everyone?
    3. Why do we always compare physiology of diet to a rat when animal models only work well for traits shared throughout the mammalian kingdom. There have been some tragedies in drug development that have proven this. Sometimes humans are different. Just google TGN1412.
    4. Science hates change. It took someone drinking H pylori to convince other scientists that stomach ulcers were caused by bacteria, not stress.
    5. Conclusions with out experimentation is flawed. Plato thought logic was all that was needed. He concluded that if two objects were the same size and shape, the heavy object would fall faster. Turns out he was wrong, took a few hundred years for Newtons apple tree to be planted. Scientists shouldn't experiment on people.
    6. Correlation does no equal causation. As Ice cream consumption peaks in August, so to do deaths by drowning. Abstaining from Ice cream won't prevent drowning.

There were more, but the more I jot down the more embarrassed I become. Yep, I drank the koolaid and double thought with the rest of them.

Yesterday:
    Breakfast: coffee
    Lunch: Shrimp, salad, lemon juice (really sad I ate all the ripe avocados Monday)
    Dinner: Tuna sauteed in lamb fat, zucchini and a dried fig. 2oz milk chocolate and partially ripe avocado.

No exercise, its dark and gloomy, I didn't want to.

Went to bed at 2 am slept till 8 am. That new video game was a bad, bad choice. Gonna set an alarm for bed time tonight.

K-Tel Records is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hi and welcome to the journal-world! I'm new myself but it's nice to read and give/get support. Also a fellow IT person!!! We had a deployment of new machines so i'm glad for the extra exercise. I also run tickets to make myself move around. I forgot about artichokes, your post reminded me hm I need to pick one up for something different. Sorry it's still cold/rainy where you are, when it gets like that I want to snuggle and get all carb-y and watch tv hahaha. It's been 90+ here already but Houston is like that (but it was 60-something this morning....don't get it). I'm originally from NYC so I get the whole no nice temps until late April/early May thing. Looking forward to the updates and have a great rest of the day!!

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast