Thread: newbie who was a long-term veggie/vegan page

Khrystyna is offline Senior Member

newbie who was a long-term veggie/vegan

Primal Fuel
    Hi everyone! My name's Khrystyna, I'm a 25 year old nutritional scientist living in the south of Ireland. I was a long-term veggie (usually vegan) for the last ten+ years, gave that up about three months ago to go primal in a desperate attempt to cure myself of the IBS that has been plagueing me almost daily for the last four years and guess what! It worked! Been 99% pain free pretty much since day one, no exageration, I used to suffer from bad cramps that lasted anywhere from an hour to a day 5-7 days a week. Obiovusly I am delighted with this result and won't ever go back to my old diet. I grow a lot of my own food and like to forage for wild stuff as much as possible and I like to eat simple fresh foods so primal suits me down to the ground. One of my aspirations would be to write a really decent primal cookbook for foodies.
    My primal adventures:
    http://foodfloraandfelines.blogspot.com/
    Cooking, nutrition, gardening, foraging, preserving, photography

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Welcome! The more nutritional experts and scientists the better, we love that kind of stuff here.

If you don't mind me asking, what's the deal with smart, educated nutritionists being vegan? Where's the reasoning? Fat, cholesterol, unsubstantiated claims about colon cancer and constipation? Or was it an ethical thing?
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

lol hi Stabby, I love the name and avatar combination btw! Ehm for me it was purely ethical since day one, I always felt meat and fish were important components of a healthy diet. I've known for a long time about the dangers of gluten, phytates, lectins etc but I felt if I could get by without meat then I was willing to make the sacrifice, then my IBS just got so intolerable in the end (I put up with it for four years) and with a bit of persuasion from other IBS sufferers I know who've had a lot of success with paleo/primal I eventually convinced myself that I deserved to eat meat seeing as being a veggie was making me so sick. I felt like I was backed into a corner with the whole thing tbh but I'm also very glad to be able to manage the pain so well now. I've always advised others to include meat in their diets, I didn't promote veganism or vegetarianism as a way to achieve optimal health even when I was one myself!
    Last edited by Khrystyna; 06-30-2010 at 02:36 PM.
    My primal adventures:

reddhedd is offline Member
    Hi Khrystyna,

I'm also new here. Apparently a lot of us were former veg-heads to one degree or another. Love your blog, BTW...

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Khrystyna View Post
    lol hi Stabby, I love the name and avatar combination btw! Ehm for me it was purely ethical since day one, I always felt meat and fish were important components of a healthy diet. I've known for a long time about the dangers of gluten, phytates, lectins etc but I felt if I could get by without meat then I was willing to make the sacrifice
    You are very very welcome here, Krystyna. You'll find good company.

I too was an ethical vegetarian - from age 19 or 20 until 34 iirc. And at that point, while I was fully academically on board with primal, I couldn't shake my sugar and grain addictions. Being diagnosed with celiac disease helped but I still ate too many gf grains and far far too much sugar.

My journal has the long list of symptons and issues that plagued me for years - most of which resolved with sufficient vitamin d to maintain optimal 25(OH)D levels or simply with the removal of grains and sugar.

Best,
    Katherine
    Last edited by cillakat; 07-02-2010 at 11:36 PM.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Quote Originally Posted by reddhedd View Post
    Hi Khrystyna,

I'm also new here. Apparently a lot of us were former veg-heads to one degree or another. Love your blog, BTW...
    Veg-heads AND red-heads lol! Thanks, it's nice to know the odd person actually reads it and I'm not just waffling away to myself!

[QUOTE=cillakat;149321]
    lol hi Stabby, I love the name and avatar combination btw! Ehm for me it was purely ethical since day one, I always felt meat and fish were important components of a healthy diet. I've known for a long time about the dangers of gluten, phytates, lectins etc but I felt if I could get by without meat then I was willing to make the sacrifice [/QUOTE

You are very very welcome here, Krystyna. You'll find good company.

I too was an ethical vegetarian - from age 19 or 20 until 34 iirc. And at that point, while I was fully academically on board with primal, I couldn't shake my sugar and grain addictions. Being diagnosed with celiac disease helped but I still ate too many gf grains and far far too much sugar.

My journal has the long list of symptons and issues that plagued me for years - most of which resolved with sufficient vitamin d to maintain optimal 25(OH)D levels or simply with the removal of grains and sugar.

Best,
    Katherine
    Thanks so much for the welcome Katherine, people seem really lovely here alright. There's a nice cheerful vibe about the place. I'm glad to hear you've resolved your health problems so effectively, I'll have a read of your diary for inspiration and insight. I'm a big fan of vitamin D alright, I take 5,000IU daily.
    My primal adventures:

goingprimal is offline Senior Member
    That's awesome your IBS has improved! I am working on getting all the kinks out of myself from my previous veg lifestyle - and feeling better every day! Of course my family is still a bit skeptical (after all, I used to push veganism on them!) Many of my family are on drugs for IBS, neuropathy, fibromyalgia, etc - but they don't want to change anything they eat. Isn't it amazing how people are not afraid to pop pills every day without knowing what the heck is in them but the suggestion of changing their diet gets them all ruffled?

I know what you mean, I guess there's so much emotional stuff surrounding what we eat and why it can be a very personal issue (probably subconsciously) for people and any challenge to what they themselves choose to do then makes them touchy. My sister has fibromyalgia I'd love it if she gave primal/paleo a go but she's a strict veggie. My mum has already figured out for herself that wheat and nightshades aggravate her arthritis which I thought is pretty cool!
    My primal adventures:

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    My sister has fibromyalgia
    *vitamin d*

That is all

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order