Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No refrigeration, portable snacks that taste good and aren't jerky? page

banananutmuffin is offline Senior Member

No refrigeration, portable snacks that taste good and aren't jerky?

Primal Fuel
    I have a (bad) habit of leaving the house thinking that I'll be back home by the time I get hungry again. But the best laid plans, yada yada, and I end up famished while out. It's not always easy or practical to just "stop in" at a store to grab a snack (I am usually toting three kids aged 5 and under... just dealing with the car seats is a nightmare). By the time I get home, I end up inhaling whatever I'm (at this point) craving, and it's usually quick-energy carbs like my kids' goldfish crackers.

I'd like to just carry a snack in my bag that I can default to in these situations so I don't arrive home famished. But I'm not a big fan of fruit (don't like Larabars), nuts, or beef jerky. Any other suggestions? The only thing I can think of is primal Slim-Jim style meat sticks, but I was hoping for other ideas, too.

Thanks!
    Female, 40 yrs old, 5', 120 lbs (post-pregnancy)
    Went Primal January 2, 2012!

Paleo Cooking for Cavekids cookbook

ilovesteak is offline Senior Member
    Whenever in doubt: Pre-cooked strips of bacon - oh, delicious bacon!!! Holds up without refrigeration for a whole day and always hits the spot.

gdot is offline Senior Member
    Pork rinds.

Or a small bottle of quality olive oil. Take a swig and follow with lots of water.

Both need to eaten BEFORE you are ready to bonk - but the high fat content will keep you going for a few hours at least.

Personally, I keep walnuts on me - eat 10 with a huge drink if I feel a bonk coming on. Works like a charm if you are efficient at fat burning.

YMMV

kathleen is offline Senior Member
    If you don't like beef jerky you can always try pork jerky or turkey jerky. KRAVE makes a couple nitrate/sulfate-free varieties. I have also seen uncured pre-cooked bacon at stores, too.
    Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
    Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
    Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
    F/23/5'9"

26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

Elliot is offline Senior Member
    Dried fruit/coconut

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    I have friend that keeps a cooked sweet potato on hand. I recently took cooked red potatoes with salt with me on a long drive, also had some good salami, cheese and apples. The potatoes were surprisingly good and satisfying on their own.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

InSearchOfAbs is offline Senior Member
    String cheese is fine outta the fridge for hourrrrs.

Will it get wobbly and sweat a bit? Sure it will, but it will NOT go bad.

Also, boiled eggs, I have found, don't need to be refrigerated constantly.

I bring a couple to work, put them in my desk drawer at 8am (if i put them in the
    fridge, someone will eat them!) and then eat them around 1. They're room temp, but
    I don't care. At least they don't freeze my front teeth that way.

Anyway, never gotten sick from eating either un-refrigerated.

If you were skurred, you could always get a little personal cooler to put in your
    car with some ice packs. Then you could bring anything! Premade tuna, leftovers
    from the night before, a little salad with a little meat...etc.

Good luck!

Julia

oxide is offline Senior Member
    Paleo candy, but I don't know how well this would hold up in a hot car:

This recipe makes 36 truffles, and you’ll need:

•10 ounces dark chocolate, 70% cacao content or higher
    •3 tablespoons coconut oil
    •1 cup full-fat coconut milk
    •1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    •½ cup finely shredded unsweetened coconut and/or ½ cup unsweetened cocoa

Nom Nom Chocolate Truffles | Award-Winning Paleo Recipes | Nom Nom Paleo

More coconut, from Trader Joes:

If you can deal with carbs: here is my go-to cheat. They are made with lard, and they are very satisfying.

5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

I'm putting a can opener in my van the next time I go shopping. We're gonna be the weirdos eating salmon out of a can at the park. I can't keep bacon or prosciutto stocked enough to take out and about.

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

eats.meats.west is offline Senior Member
    Messy sure, but a can of Sardines is good. Keep napkins and fork handy. Previously mentioned hard boiled eggs, which if prepared properly last a very long time. Basically after cooking don't cool in unsterile water as the egg can suck in the bacteria.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast