Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is there anything wrong with drinking coffee after a meal? page

FatIsAwesome is offline Member

Question Is there anything wrong with drinking coffee after a meal?

Primal Fuel
    Done some google searching but can't seem to find a definitive answer.

I often have coffee after my lunch. Just wondering if this has any negative consequences I should know about, like impairing digestion or something.

Keen to hear thoughts!

Meghanner is offline Senior Member
    A lovely cup of espresso is enjoyed by millions after meals in Europe. I'd stay away from American coffee as it contains mostly water and can dilute stomach acids. Plus...it's just gross

MEversbergII is online now Senior Member
    All coffee is mostly water. It's also got a pH of 5 on average, which would seemingly make it a better choice than water if the dilution of stomach acid is a problem.

M.

kathleen is online now Senior Member
    I have had no problems drinking espresso after eating. It is a great pick-me-up after a satisfying meal.

Don't overdo the espresso though. It contains a lot more caffeine than yucky American coffee, and if I have more than 4 shots at a time I'll end up with indigestion!
    Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
    Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
    Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
    F/23/5'9"

26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    The answer is....No.

eats.meats.west is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kathleen View Post
    Don't overdo the espresso though. It contains a lot more caffeine than yucky American coffee, and if I have more than 4 shots at a time I'll end up with indigestion!
    Not really, by all accounts I've read it is in a range that puts it less than, equal to or more than regular coffee. Not sure exactly what yucky American coffee means however. So my double shot espresso with hot water (americano) is no more caffeinated than one of those mid sized Starbucks coffees. Certainly doesn't give me any kind of jolt or sleepless nights.

Balance is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FatIsAwesome View Post
    Done some google searching but can't seem to find a definitive answer.

I often have coffee after my lunch. Just wondering if this has any negative consequences I should know about, like impairing digestion or something.

Keen to hear thoughts!
    I think it might depend on what you have with your coffee. At least for me personally, if I have black coffee afterwards it isn't a problem. But if I had a coffee with a ton of cream or as a bulletproof coffee my digestion gets screwy and I end up with a lot of bloat. For me, it's all about what you have with your coffee. Coffee in itself isn't too bad unless you have terrible addictions or have problems sleeping.
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

kathleen is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eats.meats.west View Post
    Not really, by all accounts I've read it is in a range that puts it less than, equal to or more than regular coffee. Not sure exactly what yucky American coffee means however. So my double shot espresso with hot water (americano) is no more caffeinated than one of those mid sized Starbucks coffees. Certainly doesn't give me any kind of jolt or sleepless nights.
    It is the way the coffee is brewed. Espresso is stronger than French press, for example. By stronger I mean...more coffee per cubic liter. If you add hot water to your double shot espresso, you're watering it down. I don't add to it...I just drink the shots. Too many will effect me. If I drink the same amount of liquid from an Americano at Sbux it will not have the same amount of coffee per cubic liter, so I could drink more before feeling jittery.
    Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
    Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
    Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
    F/23/5'9"

26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kathleen View Post
    yucky American coffee
    Ok, just going to make an offer, pour over of your choice from Qualia Coffee on me next time you're in town. You'll be able to see what Americans truly passionate about their coffee can do when they open up a fabulous microbrewery.
    "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

PrimalMama is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Espresso actually has less caffeine than coffee, but it's a quick high that also wears off quickly, whereas coffee is a slower but sustained high.

Bulletproof coffee is meant to be consumed INSTEAD of a meal, so I'd imagine you feel bloated having it after a meal... I've done bp coffee + brunch before... So. Full.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast