Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Weight Loss Questions Thread page

cerebelumsdayoff is offline Senior Member

The Weight Loss Questions Thread

Primal Fuel
    I have been noticing that there are numerous threads being started that all deal with the topic of weight loss, or one's inability to lose fat. Hopefully this is not overkill, but I have decided to take one for the team [for all those with questions on their minds] and start a thread that will function as a Q & A for anyone with questions and hopefully even answers.

No question is too big or too small, too stupid or too smart, etc. Ask away!

I'll start the momentum.

I know plenty of you have given me various advice regarding the path to primal glory. I do have one overall question however that has been on my mind for a while. Is there any way possible to the primal plan to actually hinder fat loss for certain people. I for one noticed that when I completely gave up veggies (my only carb sources) and upped my fat intake, I actually gained fat. I've been trying to figure out why I have been gaining visible fat lately and it seems that I have been doing everything by the book: weight lifting 3x a week, lots of moving, sprinting, IF every day, no nuts, just cut out dairy two weeks ago, but nothing seemed to be working. I got some great advice when I considered carb reloading, and I do feel a bit slimmer but I don't know if that is an illusion or not. I know that some of the mass I gained is muscle but I just can't figure out why I have gained fat too when I've been doing everything by the book.

That's the start. Anyone else feel free to ask or answer. I'm sure many here will appreciate it!
    --
    Here it is, your moment of zen.

It's a no brainer: The journal of the cerebelum

Mike Alzen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cerebelumsdayoff View Post
    I have been noticing that there are numerous threads being started that all deal with the topic of weight loss, or one's inability to lose fat. Hopefully this is not overkill, but I have decided to take one for the team [for all those with questions on their minds] and start a thread that will function as a Q & A for anyone with questions and hopefully even answers.

No question is too big or too small, too stupid or too smart, etc. Ask away!

I'll start the momentum.

I know plenty of you have given me various advice regarding the path to primal glory. I do have one overall question however that has been on my mind for a while. Is there any way possible to the primal plan to actually hinder fat loss for certain people. I for one noticed that when I completely gave up veggies (my only carb sources) and upped my fat intake, I actually gained fat. I've been trying to figure out why I have been gaining visible fat lately and it seems that I have been doing everything by the book: weight lifting 3x a week, lots of moving, sprinting, IF every day, no nuts, just cut out dairy two weeks ago, but nothing seemed to be working. I got some great advice when I considered carb reloading, and I do feel a bit slimmer but I don't know if that is an illusion or not. I know that some of the mass I gained is muscle but I just can't figure out why I have gained fat too when I've been doing everything by the book.

That's the start. Anyone else feel free to ask or answer. I'm sure many here will appreciate it!
    I've played around with VLC vs a more moderate approach with plenty of veggies (which is what my understanding of "by the book" actually is). In my experience, I run leaner with the more moderate approach, plenty of veggies, low fruit intake, no dairy. I've read good calories bad calories, and buy into it, but it doesn't seem to be quite as simple as a linear progression of lowering carbs = fat loss. As long as I include veggies with every meal, and make one of my meals a BAS, that seems to be where I operate the best.

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    Should I continue IF'ing once I reach my BF% goal and will be focusing primarily on strength gains?
    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Egoldstein is offline Senior Member
    IF'ing, especially if done irregularly promotes autophagy, generally good for overall health and longevity.

Quote Originally Posted by rphlslv View Post
    Should I continue IF'ing once I reach my BF% goal and will be focusing primarily on strength gains?
    From my limited knowledge on IF, I would say that if you enjoy doing so then there would be no reason not to engage in it. The research seems to point out that IFing, no matter how big or small one is, will always prove to be beneficial, whether that be cell repair, muscle growth, or fat burn.

What leads me to think so is that studies show that growth hormone increases during an IF, which may help with strength.

I myself have gained a lot of strength in a relatively short period of time with daily IFs, although I am still working on BF%
    --

Grol is offline Senior Member
    I
    Is there any way possible to the primal plan to actually hinder fat loss for certain people. I for one noticed that when I completely gave up veggies (my only carb sources) and upped my fat intake, I actually gained fat.
    Going zero carb is probably not the best way to lose body fat. Remember you burn dietary fat before you burn body fat. So it is possible to consume so much fat that you don't burn body fat. Doing so can also turn dietary protein and fat into additional body fat. Insulin is not the ONLY way to store fat. I think the best use of the extremely low carb diet is repairing broken metabolisms, not necessarily weight loss. The kicker is that most broken metabolisms come with morbid obesity, so they may enjoy massive weight loss on a diet that could put a few pounds on a leaner person. I'm a big fan of veggies for a few reasons, but primarily the calorie reduction that comes from eating them in bulk.

I could be completely wrong in the above ideas.

I am a huge fan of a lifetime habit of intermittent fasting. It doesn't need to be a daily thing, but weekly for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Grol View Post
    Going zero carb is probably not the best way to lose body fat. Remember you burn dietary fat before you burn body fat. So it is possible to consume so much fat that you don't burn body fat. Doing so can also turn dietary protein and fat into additional body fat. Insulin is not the ONLY way to store fat. I think the best use of the extremely low carb diet is repairing broken metabolisms, not necessarily weight loss. The kicker is that most broken metabolisms come with morbid obesity, so they may enjoy massive weight loss on a diet that could put a few pounds on a leaner person. I'm a big fan of veggies for a few reasons, but primarily the calorie reduction that comes from eating them in bulk.

I could be completely wrong in the above ideas.

I am a huge fan of a lifetime habit of intermittent fasting. It doesn't need to be a daily thing, but weekly for sure.
    I'm really wondering if IFs are really necessary every day or whether you would recommend doing them a few times a week. If I should only do them a few times a week, then would my IF days always be low-calorie or should I eat all my necessary calories on all days, regardless of whether they are IF or not?
    --

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    I think IFs longer than 16 hours are detrimental to my particular goals. Especially since I plan on training 4 days a week. But the way my schedule is looking for next semester, looks like I'm gonna be pulling some pretty long fasts 2 days a week...
    Last edited by rphlslv; 06-29-2010 at 07:29 PM.
    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Grol is offline Senior Member
    I'm really wondering if IFs are really necessary every day or whether you would recommend doing them a few times a week. If I should only do them a few times a week, then would my IF days always be low-calorie or should I eat all my necessary calories on all days, regardless of whether they are IF or not?
    I think the best answer here is whatever works. I gain weight smelling pizza. Some people, like my brother, cannot gain weight eating boxes of donuts for breakfast and fast food for lunch daily. Likewise the best fasting regimen for one person won't be ideal for another. Mess with it. See what feels best being sure to incorporate at least a couple healthy fasted states into every week. I personally hope to function on one meal a day, long term, once I reach my goal weight, whatever that is. Your needs may vary.

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rphlslv View Post
    I think IFs longer than 16 hours are detrimental to my particular goals. Especially since I plan on training 4 days a week. But the way my schedule is looking for next semester, looks like I'm gonna be pulling some pretty long fasts 2 a week...
    Are you planning on IF'ing on rest days? I'm planning on hitting it hard this summer and I have way less energy if I IF before weight training etc.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast