Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lab Results page

Meadow is offline Senior Member

Thumbs up Lab Results

Shop Now
    So in case anyone is lurking and would like further 'medical' proof that eating primal does not blow up your cholesterol levels and such thought I would share my latest lab results. I have kept my carbs low and my fats high for over 6 years now. I was officially primal for about 6 weeks when this bloodwork was drawn, but that was not a big difference in what I was eating for the last few years....so this is a good long term result.

Labwork 5/25/10
    Total Cholesterol 208 mg/dL (under 200 recommended)
    LDL 109 mg/dL (under 130 recommended)
    Triglycerides 46 mg/dL (female under 100 recommended)
    HDL 90 mg/dL (greater then 40 recommended)

My ratio looks great, HDL is very good

Glucose (fasted) 87
    Vit D 51.0 ng/dL (20-100 recommended, but doc would like me to get this up more)

My Vit D was almost half that last year, so I have done well with mild supplementation and more sun exposure...will continue that and try to be more consistent.

(I was going to list last years overall labs, but they were very similar)

I have eaten an average of 2-3 eggs a day for years now, bacon, raw milk, cream, butter, more butter, coconut oil, LOTS of red meat (I love steak), avocado, nuts, cheese, etc etc. I eat organic, pastured when I can, and a lot of my meat consumption is wild game. I eat lots of green veggies, avoid the starchy ones, and very little fruit (sugar in any form does not do me well). My exercise levels are anywhere from 0-4 days a week depending on my mood, I would not call myself overly active by any means but I do stay moving.

I am not the perfect example because I have never had major cholesterol problems, but for me it has not created any problems. Going primal was not a giant step, I was already low carb and gluten free, but removing grains 100% has really taken my health and energy to the next level the last few months. I have a long history of chronic muscle pain, chronic fatigue, interstitial cystitis, skin problems...blah blah blah. Most of that is now history through diet and mental changes over the years, and if anything is still lingering it is very very minor. Adding in healthy fats, dropping out sugars and grains have been by far the BEST thing I could have ever done. Finding the primal lifestyle really helped me understand why this all worked over the years.

In case that helps anyone worried about cholesterol, take that for what it is worth

Metismomma is offline Senior Member
    Awesome!
    Calm the f**k down.

Katie82 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadow View Post
    I have a long history of chronic muscle pain, chronic fatigue, interstitial cystitis, skin problems...blah blah blah. Most of that is now history through diet and mental changes over the years, and if anything is still lingering it is very very minor
    Don't blah, blah it! I love hearing all the details of things people have recovered from by living this way. I am dealing with chronic pain and fatigue myself and the PB seems to be slowly working for me so I love hearing things like this, and your triglycerides and HDL are so good!. Stories like this give me the incentive to stick to this so thank you for sharing.

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Mighty.

C-reactive protein is a good one to get too but all of that looks baller. These success stories are always a lot of fun.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Vit D 51.0 ng/dL (20-100 recommended, but doc would like me to get this up more)
    This is great Meadow! My only concern is that no one except a few groups using Quest still accept 20 ng/mL as a lower level of the reference range. Everyone else is using a minimum of 32 ng/mL.

It alerts me to several possibilities, none of which I'll detail here unless folks want the info, but you may want to look at who did the test and what method they use.

It's possible - perhaps even likely - that unless LabCorp did the test, your actual 25(OH)D levels is lower than this test indicates.

Excellent news though really on all fronts. Keep up the good work. Wonderful ratios. Ideal trigs. Really.....wtg

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Quote Originally Posted by cillakat View Post
    This is great Meadow! My only concern is that no one except a few groups using Quest still accept 20 ng/mL as a lower level of the reference range. Everyone else is using a minimum of 32 ng/mL.

It alerts me to several possibilities, none of which I'll detail here unless folks want the info, but you may want to look at who did the test and what method they use.

It's possible - perhaps even likely - that unless LabCorp did the test, your actual 25(OH)D levels is lower than this test indicates.
    My doc office uses Quest....but this doc in particular seems much more up to date on Vit D and always discusses his recommendations and thoughts rather then the labs. It is probably the longest conversation we have since everything else comes out fine and he is really a big proponent on extra Vit D.

I had only been supplementing D more regularly for about a month before this test and have since increased my doses after all the discussion as of late in the webworld. So hoping this is still improving for me quite a bit.

Fatkid is offline Senior Member
    Awesome Meadow! Grok On!

Quote Originally Posted by Katie82 View Post
    Don't blah, blah it! I love hearing all the details of things people have recovered from by living this way. I am dealing with chronic pain and fatigue myself and the PB seems to be slowly working for me so I love hearing things like this, and your triglycerides and HDL are so good!. Stories like this give me the incentive to stick to this so thank you for sharing.
    If you want to know, the blah blah blah was mastocytic enterocolitis (essentially my gut was reacting to everything I was eating for some reason), bipolar, tension headaches (caused by chronic muscle tension in my back/shoulders), endometriosis, fibromyalgia was tossed around by my doc (although I never was officially diagnosed) and probably a few things I have forgotten about. I was 29 and worried I would be on disability in less then 6 months because I was out of sick days and falling apart.

I am now 35 and have recently taken up indoor climbing which I absolutely love. I could not have imagined doing that 6 years ago. If I had found primal back then I would have made such a faster recovery.

Out of all of that, the only thing I deal with now is a small bit of shoulder pain that I can usually track to something I have been eating or stored tension, about 75% less female problems, and my stomach only really gets upset if I eat too much sugar/carbies over a week or two (like on vacation).

Diet I would say made up about 75% of my path to recovery. Learning better ways to deal with stress and tension makes up about 25%.....Yoga, meditation, energy awareness, learning how to breath, taking time for myself, things like that.

No matter what I have to eat well though...that has been the core to my recovery.

Egoldstein is offline Senior Member
    Meadow, great numbers, particularly trigs and HDL. Can I ask how long from when you made the major switch away from gluten (and sugar) that you started feeling improvement?

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    My doc office uses Quest....but this doc in particular seems much more up to date on Vit D and always discusses his recommendations and thoughts rather then the labs. It is probably the longest conversation we have since everything else comes out fine and he is really a big proponent on extra Vit D.
    He sounds wonderful and informed. Great thing to have in a doc.....yet suprisingly difficult to find.

It also sounds as if he knows about the problem with Quest (see my d doc below for the issues with Quest) which is why he wants your numbers higher. Quest has never bothered to 'norm' their test to the gold standard. Dividing 51/1.3 gives you 39.23. In terms of the numbers that are used when talking about optimal outcomes from the huge body of D literature, the 39 is your actual number rather than the 51.

Commonly (though with exception), it takes 1000 IU of D3, to raise 26(OH)D levels by 10 ng/mL. So if you want to get to, say, 60 ng/mL, adding 2000 IU per day to your current sun/supplement regimen would be appropriate. Then in the fall as UVB exposure possibilities drop off, it's generally appropriate to move to supplementing 1000 IU per 25 lbs body weight per day.

Wishing you all the best....and congratulations on the excellent results.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast