Thread: Deadlift issues page

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member

Deadlift issues

Primal Fuel
    I used to be able to pull a lot on deadlift and my method was step up to the bar and rip the weight off the floor. I pulled up to 285, no issues, standard form.

I went to a new gym and have deloaded to work on form and what the hell.... my deadlift has gone to shit unless I pull sumo. I did 205 on Friday and it was horrible. On my second pull, the bar came up crooked and ouch on my back. This is the third time this has happened. It's like my left side gets to the top before my right side once the weight gets a little heavy. I've done light weights for reps and don't have this issue. I don't have the problem sumo. I'm grabbing the bar centered.

So what gives? Right now I am doing Wendler and my other lifts are getting stronger. But my deadlift has become a vortex of suck.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    One tip from "Supple Leopard" that helped me was after you get in position to lift the bar, put tension into it before you actually start to lift the bar from the ground. Like the bar should be bending before you finally initiate the lift. That helps from and injury prevention standpoint. I'm not sure why your max has gone down. Did you switch to doing sumo more or less exclusively? There are lots of possible explanations.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    One of the Starting Strength coaches suggested that I do a heavy double, then drop 10% and do AMRAP. This doesn't fix your form issues, if that's what it is, but for me, the extra volume has helped me hugely. I was stuck at 170 and getting worse rather than better at it. I also started using a belt and that has helped a lot. I pulled 190 last week and it felt easy. Soon I will do 200, yay!
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 195 x 3

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    I'm guessing too much volume. 5/3/1 volume is great for squats, possibly too much for deadlifts, and maybe not enough for the presses.
    The Champagne of Beards

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    I'm guessing too much volume. 5/3/1 volume is great for squats, possibly too much for deadlifts, and maybe not enough for the presses.
    Yeah, we used to either do a lot of reps at a light weight, or a heavy weight for one or two reps, with rest. On a set of 5, I do put the bar all the way down, reset my grip and pull. May just need to start working to a heavy 1 rep on heavy day, do speed pulls ordo high reps androtate thru those.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!