Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal of a High Tech Grokette page

rozska is offline Senior Member

Primal Journal of a High Tech Grokette

Primal Fuel
    Hey ya'll -- *waves*

I love the high tech world and living in an urban area (not the suburbs, the city) and yet I also love camping, hiking, getting into nature, using fewer chemicals, and so on. Couldn't pay me to live in the sticks, off the grid (been there, done that, sold the ranch.) Give me five different grocery stores, a dozen coffee shops, 100+ quality restaurants, all in walking distance, and I'm a happy grokette. (I live in Seattle, BTW.) My day-job is in a different state. I telecommute. I generally travel to the office once a month, for about a week. I drive maybe once a week -- walk everywhere else all the time.

Stats:
    Female
    Single -- only living with my cat
    H/W: 5' 2" and about 135
    Meds include thyroid, bio-identical estrogen and progesterone, as well as testosterone.
    Supplements include 5000 UI Vitamin D per day (naturopath discovered I had very low vitamin D levels. This amount keeps it in the healthy range. I have my levels checked once every 6 months.)
    5-HTP -- seretonin pre-cursor -- my happy pills
    HMC -- keeps my allergies in check
    Calcium, a good multi-vitamin, and now, fish oil.

Back in 2006 I was diagnosed as pre-diabetic -- blood sugars way too high. My naturopath (who saved my life, honestly, in so many ways) recommended a restricted diet: protein and veggies. No sugar, no grains.

The good things about this diet: I'd had headaches all my life. Maybe 3-4 days a month I would be headache free. This diet cleared up all of those. (The first time I "cheated" with a piece of cake, the headaches returned within 20 minutes.)

I only stayed on that diet for about 6 months. I was doing the no-fat version of this diet, hungry all the time, and had no support.

Fast-forward to this year. I've never really eaten the SAD -- if I did buy bread, it was the artesian variety that had ingredients I could understand, not chemicals. Would occasionally have rice or pasta. Spaghetti sauce poured over broccoli was my idea of heaven. But I ate out a lot. I needed to save money this year, so I started cooking more, which led to more pasta, popcorn, etc.

I've had a rough year, physically. First I injured my shoulder/ribs and couldn't really use my left hand for about 6 weeks. Then I came down with atypical walking pneumonia. Then a sinus infection (which I'm still on antibiotic for.)

I generally don't get sick like this. I really wonder if part of it is diet -- I'd slipped far from the primal ideal.

For the past month I've been mostly following PB. (Mostly because I have to be out of town for about 1 week/month for the day job, in the last month it was closer to 2, and it isn't always easy following PB on the road.) However, I've already cleared it with my boss that I don't have to travel for the next 30 days.

Which means the 30-day challenge is on!

As well as going 'poo-less. (The hair will be the second post -- this is getting long enough!)

I'd like to lose 10 pounds. I need to get back to feeling strong. I have very practical strength. I see a personal trainer once a week (or will again, soon!) According to the X-rays I have a severely degenerated L4-L5, complete with bone spurs. Instead of surgery or pills, I took the long view: I have really strong core muscles. Pushups, pullups, situps, weights and squats mean no lower back pain. I also do yoga once a week. The other days, my goal is to walk or run at least 30 minutes per day.

My meals this week have included BAS for lunch every day, either eggs with onions, mushrooms, broccoli and yellow pepper or a smoothie for breakfast, and either lamb or pork (both naturally raised, minimally processed) with brussel sprouts for dinner.

I'll start recording my progress more formally in later posts. For now, this is the start.

groquette is offline Senior Member
    Awesome start :-)

I'll probably pop in now and then and see how you're doing on your 30 days challenge. I'm finishing one up tomorrow, and might start another. It's been fun!

About the hair:

According to my mom, when I was 2 years old, I told her that she was to never cut my hair again. Period. She agreed, but only if I agreed to never cry when she fixed it. Bargain struck, I didn't cut my hair beyond a trim from that time until I was 27.

Then I chopped it all off. Short. Not quite a buzz cut, but off my ears and neck. Could spike it up in a faux hawk. Kept it that way for 20 years.

About a year ago I decided to see what would happen if I went a year without cutting my hair. Imagine my surprise when, instead of extremely straight, boring, do-nothing hair it turns out I have perfect princess ringlets? (I think it's because my thyroid condition is finally being treated.) Going from such a "butch" cut to curls that I thought could only be achieved through massive amounts of product and time was quite a shock -- I laugh frequently when I look in the mirror. (The Universe is messing with me. )

One of the things I noticed was that my curls were *much* better the second day after I washed my hair. (The first day I'd have some curl, but not the ringlets.)

So honestly, a big part of going 'poo-less for me is vanity. I want to see if I can have my beautiful ringlets everyday.

Today is day 4 of no 'poo. This morning I did the baking soda/ACV wash -- result, some curl, no ringlets. It surprised me that I could go 4 days without my scalp getting really greasy and itchy. I probably could have gone longer, but I was too curious about the baking soda and ACV. This afternoon I'll go get a boar's bristle brush. Then not do anything more than water and brush for at least 5 days, this time.

So in addition to posting about food and exercise, expect posts about hair as well!

Eklecktika is offline Senior Member
    You may have found it already, but I too have new curls revealed thanks to dessicated thyroid! My godsend has been www.naturallycurly.com.

Just avoid the diet forums....you'll want to scream. :-)
    Chief cook & bottle washer for one kid, a dog, 6 hens, 2 surprise! roosters, two horses, and a random 'herd' of quail.

~The ultimate ignorance is the rejection of something one knows nothing about and refuses to investigate~

Thank you! I'm glad yours has been fun. I looked at your journal -- i'm not cutting my coffee/tea as part of my challenge. I only have one cup a day, and it's never sweetened with sugar, so I figure that's okay.

groquette is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, a challenge should be personal -- no good reason to go and do what would be challenging to someone else, or worse: be so challenging you'd want to drop out. I only cut out coffee very recently, and only because of the headaches. Otherwise I'd probably indulge with some heavy cream.

As part of the 30-day challenge, here's what I'm trying to achieve:

Fat: 100 g
    Carbs: < 50 g
    Protein: 76 grams/day

Calories: 1200 - 1500

Today's stats:

Fat: 88.5g
    Carbs: 45.9g
    Protein: 84g

Calorie count: 1286

As for the rest:
    1. Eat lots of animals, insects and plants.

B: bacon, eggs, onion, mushrooms, yellow bell pepper
    L: BAS with hard boiled egg, yellow bell pepper, cucumber, honey-mustard dressing
    D: Pasture-raised leg of lamb steaks, broiled. Mushrooms cooked in butter. Brussel sprouts with butter. "Sauce" of almonds, basil, olive oil and balsamic vinegar.

2. Move around a lot at a slow pace.

I'm still recovering from a sinus infection. I took a short walk this afternoon. I called into about 2 1/2 hours worth of meetings, and probably stood for half of the time.

3. Lift heavy things.

During one of my breaks I did 10 pushups, as well as 20 bicycle crunches and 10 squats, as well as a bit of down dog, plank, etc.

4. Run really fast every once in a while.

Not today. Maybe later this week, when I feel better.

5. Get lots of sleep.
    Slept in this morning, an extra hour. I think I'm still recovering.

6. Play.
    Yes! My kitty insisted we play today. And I knit some. And I played online with a friend. Plus a game of Sudoku.

7. Get some sunlight every day.
    A very little bit walking outside.

8. Avoid trauma.
    So far so good.

9. Avoid poisonous things.
    Again, so far, so good.

10. Use your mind.
    Day job is always useful for this. As well as writing.
    Last edited by rozska; 06-29-2010 at 08:00 PM.

30_06_2010

Today's stats:

Fat: 90.9g (goal: 100g)
    Carbs: 57.4g (goal: < 50g)
    Protein: 96.2g (goal: 76g)

Calorie count: 1405

As for the rest:

B: Yogurt, berries, coconut milk, protein powder, cucumber, coffee with half & half
    L: BAS with hard boiled egg, yellow bell pepper, cucumber, honey-mustard dressing
    D: Pasture-raised pork chop, first marinated in orange, basil and olive oil, then fried. (OMG so good.) Steamed broccoli with butter and garlic.

I'm still recovering from a sinus infection. I took a short walk this afternoon, wearing huarache sandals. Moved very slowly but still probably did too much.

3. Lift heavy things.
    Still recovering. According to my chiropractor I need to be going even more slowly than I have been.

Not today. Maybe later this week, when I feel better. I did run slowly for 1 block.

5. Get lots of sleep.
    Not so much today. Downstairs neighbor had screaming fight with his GF around 12:30 AM, waking me up, then kitty required attention around 6. So only about 5 hours, with good relaxing rest before and after.

6. Play.
    Yes! My kitty insisted we play today, as always. And I knit some. And I played online with a friend. Plus a game of Sudoku.

A very little bit walking outside.

8. Avoid trauma.
    I went back to see the chiropractor today. It's a little trauma, but my shoulder will feel so much better for it.

So far, so good.

10. Use your mind.
    Day job is always useful for this. Wrote 500 words this AM, will write another 1000 later this evening.

Thursday evenings are part of my 20%. My friend M and I go try a new restaurant, then go to a coffee shop or a tea shop and write.

Tonight we had Salvadorian food. Really good, but I can't even guess at what the calories or carbs were. I feel completely fat and bloated. I think I'm adapting to low carb. Will drink lots more water tonight, as well as more Vit C. So no stats for dinner. Breakfast and lunch were good --

B: Scrambled eggs with cottage cheese, red bell pepper, fresh basil and shredded cheese
    Coffee with a spoonful of coconut milk and half & half.
    L: BAS with cucumber, red bell pepper, fresh basil, bacon, almonds, honey mustard dressing

As for the rest:

Followed this through most of the day, not so much for dinner.

I'm still recovering from a sinus infection. I took a short walk this afternoon, up to the library then to the restaurant. I felt fine until I was almost to the restaurant -- felt my energy level just drain. I'm feeling so much better, but still not 100%, I guess.

3. Lift heavy things.
    A little. Took the garbage out (and it had kitty litter in it, so it was heavy!) Moved a box to basement storage, and pulled my desk out of the closet for the first time in almost 3 months. (Have to lift the portable desk from the closet to the living room, then back when I put it away.)

Not today. Maybe later this week, when I feel better.

5. Get lots of sleep.
    Finally! Yes! Went to sleep around midnight, woke up with the alarm at 7, and was *awake*.

6. Play.
    Yes! My kitty insisted we play today, as always. I played online with a friend, and dinner with M is always playlike. Plus a game of Sudoku.

Not actually possible today -- cloudy all day.

8. Avoid trauma.
    I was successful at this today.

The less we say about dinner the better.

10. Use your mind.
    Typed up 700+ words this morning. Will do another 1200+ this evening. Worked hard at the day job, which requires brain and focus.

11. Good hair day?
    Mostly. Some ringlets. The top of my hair feels much more greasy than it looks. The ends, I think, are still semi-dry (which is also why I only have partial curls.) I continue to be amazed at how well my hair is doing without shampoo. Seriously. Shocked.

Tomorrow I go out to dinner with a different friend, then to a party. Saturday is another friend's birthday party. I'm going to come up with some plans for dealing with both of these.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Still here -- just haven't been posting. Or had any time to post.

Friday breakfast was as usual -- eggs, bacon, veggies. I went into the local office for the day job. (My day job is actually located in CA, and I telecommute.) They had Indian food brought in for lunch. The "vegetable" curry was actually made of lumps of lentils. No actual vegetables to be found. I ate a couple of mouth fulls of beans, mostly just meat. Dinner was brisket with a ton of yummy fat. I think I grossed out my dining companion by eating almost all of it. (^_^) Plus a huge salad. I ate one cookie at the party that night -- made from dark chocolate and almonds, very low carb, actually.

Saturday I drove from Seattle to Portland for a friend's birthday, then drove back. Breakfast was bacon and eggs. Lunch at the party was a salad with the inside of a calzone (lots of smoked ham). Had a small piece of home made strawberry shortcake -- lots of real whipped cream and strawberries, with a little bit of shortcake. Dinner was a package of cashews. Kind of a fail for moving and eating, though I did get some writing done.

Sunday I ate breakfast out (had nothing left in the fridge.) Had eggs and bacon, with a few spoonfuls of grits. I also had to write 5000 words to keep up with my writing challenge. On the break I took in the afternoon I walked 5 blocks (downhill) to the farmer's market, then 5 blocks (uphill) carrying two canvas bags full of heavy groceries -- a frozen chicken (organic, free range, had been fed some grains during the winter, but mostly foraged for food), wild foraged morel mushrooms, organic Walawala onions, a huge head of lettuce, some grassfed hamburger, etc. Then I walked three blocks to the co-op for another large canvas bag of food. Then I went to the Safeway for the things I'd forgotten or couldn't get elsewhere. I kept telling myself I was foraging. (^_^) Didn't eat lunch, wasn't hungry, had a caprice salad late afternoon, and the rest of the lamb with some brussle sprouts for dinner. So I moved, carried heavy things, and ate pretty well.

Today I'll be back on track. I have an eggplant dish that I want to use with some of the chicken (if it's thawed!) I can also make up the hamburgers. I'm kind of set for the week for food, though I will be going out to eat at least twice for dinner.
    If I don't live my dream, who will?

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast