Limited Time: Grab your FREE Box of Dark Chocolate Almond Bars Get Yours>>Close
Open
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone know of a good device to use for chopping vegetables?

Shop Now
    Never, never, never quit! -- Winston Churchill

I had one of those vegetable chop & measure... pain in the ass to use and pain in the ass to clean! YMMV :-)

Wow I loved the slapchop commercial haha! Never heard of that kind of thing before, but it DID look useful and that guy was so energetic... I should probably go to sleep..

Quote Originally Posted by Doug 3623 View Post
    Damn! You beat me to it.
    Chief cook & bottle washer for one kid, a dog, 6 hens, 2 surprise! roosters, two horses, and a random 'herd' of quail.

~The ultimate ignorance is the rejection of something one knows nothing about and refuses to investigate~

A decent knife. I have a large one with a slightly curved blade, that rocks against the board. Works well. Tried a load of gadgets but they are always a PITA to clean up and some of them send bits flying everywhere. A good knife, and improve your knife skills. (Watch the pros). Struth, veggies for one doesn't take that long. A minute or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Pandadude View Post
    Wow I loved the slapchop commercial haha! Never heard of that kind of thing before, but it DID look useful and that guy was so energetic... I should probably go to sleep..
    Then you should really like the SlopChop RAP.

ITA on the 'developing good knife skills'. It really does change everything about cooking....for the better.

And for the knife: a 6" and 8" Wustof or similar chef's knife simply cannot be outdone.

This is an excellent, inexpensive sharpener ($10)

And this is a phenominal, very expensive sharpener:
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...pener&x=2&y=19

I was actually at amazon, ready to pull the trigger on the $$ one when I saw the cheap on with it's amazing number of positive reviews. Instead of dropping $170, I spend $10 and have been very very happy.

I'd also recommend a Cuisinart Food Processor...at least 11-c but preferably 14c. It's much better than any other FP on the market (though the kitchenaid ones will 'do') and it makes chopping veggies a breeze. I use mine nearly every day.

I keep meaning to get a very nice mandoline slicer as well.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Quote Originally Posted by Fatkid View Post
    I use a knife... it's a crappy knife but it serves me well :-)
    I've tried a lot of those chopping gadgets. The result is that I bought a nice knife and a better hone-- and put the gadgets in the trash. A good, sharp knife is really the only tool you'd need for those tasks.

I buy the fire-roasted fajita veg from Trader Joe's - peppers & onions already rough-chopped and fired. I keep it in the freezer & pull out what I want & chop smaller if I want before putting it in the food.
    Melissa Fritcher - 330/252/150
    http://lessofmimi.wordpress.com
    Trample the weak, hurdle the dead.

Shop Now
    I use me dremel for everything. It really is the all purpose tool. If you're looking for a good tool, I suggest a dremel.