Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Six Month Primal Lifestyle Adventure page

Six Month Primal Lifestyle Adventure

Primal Fuel
    Intro:
    Around the beginning of 2010 I ordered The Primal Blueprint and thought "I'd like to do this for six months and see what happens." Unfortunately, I did not stick to this thought and my weight has bounced around. I've been low as 218lbs and high as 245lbs in the past six months. I have grown tired of these fluxucations, not being happy with how I look and feel, and most of all, never sticking to anything I start. Whether it is workouts, diets, lifestyles, hobbies, and etc., I always give up because of laziness.

I sat down the other day and made a list of everything I've started to do or promised myself I'd do and failed. I intend to start working on these things now and make as much progress as I can over the next six months. I know I will not be able to accomplish all of these things over the six months but I want to lay the foundation to finishing them all someday. These things range anywhere from paying off my school debt to getting my weight down to 215lbs.

So the first thing I plan on going back and accomplishing will be to stick to The Primal Blueprint for six months Several other things I want to accomplish fit in with this:

1. Weigh 215lbs again - 215 is a special weight for me. It is how much I weighed at the start of the second semester of my sophomore year of college. Soon after that semester started, I went into a major tail spin of eating and drinking that cause me to balloon up to 265lbs by Christmas. I have tried for the past three years to get my weight back to 215 pounds but never have gotten there. Getting back to 215 pounds would be a major victory for me. I eventually hope to get even lower than that but that will come in time.

2. Quit drinking Monster Energy Drinks (Low Carb) - They are bad for me and can get expensive

3. Quit drinking caffeine - I have be reliant on caffeine for the past five years. I need to get energy from my new lifestyle.

4. Quit eating and drinking (other than water) in my car - I eat out too much and the majority of it is fast food. That crap is eaten in my car 90% of the time. If I stop eating in my car, I know I will be able to cut a lot of that crap out of my diet.

5. Win my division at the Submission Hunt - I train Brazilian Jiu-jitsu several days a week and have been doing this for over three years now. In the past, I competed in several tournaments and have placed in the top three of all the tournaments I have entered. Over the past year and a half I have not competed because I told myself I wanted to get in better shape and into a lighter weight class. Well, that never happened and I haven't competed since December of 2008. The next Submission Hunt tournament is in October of this year and I plan on going and winning!

6. Get my parents to workout - I currently live with my parents and have been meaning to get them working out/living a healthier life for years. Why not get them to do this along with me and the entire family can benefit?

So those six things (plus living a the Primal Lifestyle) over the next six months will be what I plan to focus on. If I am able to accomplish something before the six months is up, I'll add a new thing from my list!

Stats and Pics:

Workout Plan:
    This is never set in stone but here is what an "ideal week" would look like:

M - YRG (AM), Lift (PM)
    T - BJJ
    W - YRG (AM), BJJ (PM)
    Th - YRG (AM), MMA/BJJ (PM)
    F - Lift (AM), BJJ (PM)
    S - BJJ
    S- Rest

YRG = Yoga for Regular Guys
    BJJ = Brazilian Jiu-jitsu
    MMA = Mixed Martial Arts

My goal is to do the following:

1) Lift x2 a week
    2) YRG x3 a week
    3) BJJ x3 a week

A lot of it depends on how my body is feeling. BJJ/MMA can beat me up pretty bad some days and I might need a day off or two after a hard practice.

Nutrition:
    The Primal Blueprint, of course!

Supplements:
    I don't take anything fancy now days. Just the following:

Whey, multi, fish oil, and calcium.

Monday, June 28th, 2010

Basics
    Hours of Sleep: 8
    DOMS: None

Training
    Workout Type: YRG
    Energy Pre-Workout: Okay
    Exercise:

YRG - 20 Minute Workout

Workout Length: 30 Minutes
    Energy In Workout: Okay
    Notes: I really did not want to work out today. I put it off until 10 PM before I made myself do something and it felt great once I got it done.

Supplements
    6 MaxGXL
    3 Fish Oil
    2 Calcium
    1 Multi

Diet
    Every third day I will track my calories and see where I am at.

Random Thoughts
    Today was the first day in over two months I didn't stop by a gas station and buy a Monster Energy drink! It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. A lot of times I will wake up and it is the first thing I crave.

Tuesday, July 29th, 2010

Basics
    Hours of Sleep: 9

Training
    Energy Pre-Workout: Good
    Exercise:

YRG - 20 Minute Workout

Energy In Workout: Good
    Notes: I got this workout in about eight hours earlier than yesterdays, haha.

Supplements
    6 MaxGXL
    3 Fish Oil
    2 Calcium
    1 Multi

Diet
    I went out for supper but kept it Primal. Cooked salmon and mixed veggies, yum!

Random Thoughts
    I didn't make BJJ tonight. I had a work meeting that kept me late. I'll be in the gym tomorrow afternoon though.

Wednesday, June 30th, 2010

Basics

Training
    Workout Type: No Gi BJJ Class
    Exercise:

No Gi BJJ Class - 60 Minutes

Workout Length: 1 Hour
    Notes: We worked submissions and escapes from mount this afternoon. No open rolling after, I had to get back to work and everyone else went to the beach.

Supplements
    3 MaxGXL
    1 Fish Oil
    1 Multi

Diet
    I ate like a pig before going to bed. I felt like shit all afternoon, woke up, and hit the fridge. For some reason, this happens almost every Wednesday night. I need to keep myself busy or get to bed earlier to prevent this.

Random Thoughts
    Around 3 or so in the afternoon I got the worst headache I've ever had. My stomach felt terrible and I had to go home early from work. I got a few hours of sleep and I felt 100% better...weird. Anyways, after this I ended up getting a Monster from the gas station, ugh.

Thursday, July 1st, 2010

Basics

Training
    Workout Type: MMA and No Gi BJJ
    Exercise:

MMA - 60 Minutes

No Gi BJJ - 75 Minutes

Workout Length: 2 Hours and 15 Minutes
    Notes: -

Supplements
    6 MaxGXL
    3 Fish Oil
    2 Calcium
    1 Multi

Diet
    2,260/114.7/76.0/189.2

It looks like I need about 20-25 grams more of protein.

Random Thoughts
    Another Monster down the hatch...I woke up and it was the first thing I craved. Funny, I had one the night before. On Monday I didn't have one and Tuesday I had no urge to get one. I've heard the ingredients in those drinks are addictive....

Friday, July 2nd, 2010

Basics

Training
    Workout Type: Walking
    Exercise:

Walking - 30 Minutes @ ~130 BPM

Notes: I really didn't feel like doing YRG today...or lifting. I know I need to get my kettlebells out but for some reason I am not motivated to lift, ever. I need to lift at least twice a week!

Supplements
    6 MaxGXL
    3 Fish Oil
    2 Calcium
    1 Multi

Random Thoughts
    No Monster today!

Thursday, July 8th, 2010

Basics

Training Session One
    Exercise:

YRG - 20 Minute Workout

Training Session Two
    Workout Type: MMA and No Gi BJJ Practice
    Exercise:

MMA Practice: 1 Hour
    No Gi BJJ Practice: 1 Hour

Workout Length: 2 Hours

Supplements
    6 MaxGXL
    3 Fish Oil
    2 Calcium
    1 Multi

Random Thoughts
    I'm back on the band wagon today. I was a turd the past few days and ate crap and didn't do anything physical. Hopefully I can avoid a spell like that again.

slowcooker is online now Senior Member
    I see a 205'r hiding in there.. stick to it.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Friday, July 9th, 2010

Basics
    Hours of Sleep: 8

Training Session One
    Exercise:

YRG - 20 Minute Workout

Training Session Two
    Workout Type: Lifting and Cardio
    Exercise:

Upper Body Strength Training - 30 Minutes
    20 Minute Walk Outdoors @ ~130-145 BPM

Workout Length: 50 Minutes
    Notes: It felt great to strength train again. The last time I hit the weights as over two weeks ago, doh! The weather was nice out and I went for a walk around town after for some extra cardio. I did learn that the Vibram Five Fingers and pavement do not mix. Ouch!

Supplements
    6 MaxGXL
    3 Fish Oil
    2 Calcium
    1 Multi

Diet
    2,036/88.0/69.6/219.5

I am going to track my calories daily from now on.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast