Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spaghetti Squash page

mdlaw is offline Senior Member

Spaghetti Squash

Shop Now
    I'm headed to my parents' tonight for dinner, and put in a request for spaghetti squash since we're having spaghetti and meatballs for dinner. I've never had it before. Does it suck? I've read you just cook it for 30-45 mins in the oven and then it'll pull right apart into noodles. My folks are starting to come around a bit on the whole primal thing, so if I can do this in a way that's not totally terrible, it would be good. Also, how is it nutrition wise? I haven't been able to find much either on the forum here or on the general site.

Thanks

tangentrider is offline Senior Member
    As for taste, it's a mild squash, somewhat neutral--making it good as a base for tasty sauce. Cooking method sounds right (I've not had it in a while). According to nutritiondata.com, 1 cup has
    31 cal
    1 g fat
    7 g carb
    1 g protein
    Last edited by tangentrider; 06-29-2010 at 12:59 PM. Reason: clarity
    Started PB late 2008, lost 50 lbs by late 2009. Have been plateaued, but that thing may just be biting the dust: more on that later.

Rivvin is offline Senior Member
    I was mine, poke holes in them, cover them in the microwave and let it rip for about 7 minutes.

Let it cool some, cut it in half and start shredding with a fork.

Mix it with some sauce and its absolutely delicious. It's definitely NOT a noodle, but it's hard to screw it up.

It's almost fool proof.

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    I like it better than spaghetti pasta....and I went into it thinking it was going to royally suck.
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    I prefer Zucchetti. The spaghetti squash was wayyy too sweet for my taste to be a spag substitute. Zucchini sautted in butter and garlic on the other hand, makes a perfect sub for pasta spag.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member
    I prefer portobello's sliced thin and sauteed in butter or bacon grease. The perfect "noodle". (But then again, I always found noodles to be disgustingly bland sauce delivery devices so...)

ColoradoSteve is offline Senior Member
    I love spaghetti squash. So do the kids. Very good sub for traditional spaghetti.

Cut in 1/2. Remove the seeds. Rub meat with a little olive oil. Face down in the oven 30-40 minutes @375.

Use a standard fork to scrape the meat out and you get spaghetti squash. Cover with tomato/meat/meatball sauce.
    Never, never, never quit! -- Winston Churchill

Pessimist is offline Senior Member
    I love it, but as a squash not as a noodle replacement. I just throw the whole thing in the oven for an hour or so, cut it and half, scoop out the seeds (which I then fry up and eat). Butter and cinnamon go well with it. Mmmmmm.
    The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being proven right or pleasantly surprised.

mdlaw is offline Senior Member
    I blew it somehow. 40 mins baking cut side down at 375 and it came out as mush. Tasted alright- almost like sweet corn, but nothing close to strands. Parts were complete mush and others seemed undercooked, and there were only a few sections that even hinted at forming a spaghetti type consistency. Does this sound like it was over or under cooked?

tangentrider is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mdlaw View Post
    I blew it somehow. 40 mins baking cut side down at 375 and it came out as mush. Tasted alright- almost like sweet corn, but nothing close to strands. Parts were complete mush and others seemed undercooked, and there were only a few sections that even hinted at forming a spaghetti type consistency. Does this sound like it was over or under cooked?
    Honestly, it sounds like an odd spaghetti squash. The cooking time seems right (of course, I'm going from a distant memory). Not sure.
    Started PB late 2008, lost 50 lbs by late 2009. Have been plateaued, but that thing may just be biting the dust: more on that later.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast