Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Raspberry foraging in the suburbs page

Mermaid is offline Member

Raspberry foraging in the suburbs

Shop Now
    I found some raspberries in my neighborhood the other day and they were soooo good. It was my first modern forager experience in many, many years. When I was a kid we used to find crayfish under rocks in the stream, but we didn't eat them so I'm not sure that counts. But we did eat lots of mulberries and we ran around for days with purple feet as a result!

Going back for more raspberries today. I wrote about it on my blog: http://realbuttersbetter.blogspot.com
    Mermaid

fufonzo is offline Senior Member
    Were they wild or from a neighbour's bush? We used to have a raspberry bush in our backyard. It was delicious.

Last year we found some wild cherries downtown Montreal when I visited a friend, so that was pretty neat (I hope they were cherries).

Definitely wild! More on the wildness in my blog post. I have yet to find cherries, though. I love cherries. I told my husband's grandmother about the berries and she said "Are you gonna make jam?" I said I didn't have enough but really even if I did I would probably just freeze the surplus. Even before going primal I never understood why people would add sugar to fruit, much less cook it. It's so delicious in its natural state. Why change that?
    Mermaid

shannon is offline Senior Member
    cool. we also have been foraging for berries in the neighborhood. it's the first time for me. our girls are always on the lookout for wild berries. we actually have a mulberry tree in the back yard so i know where to look when i can't find them pick up a wild berry/foraging book at the library and scout out your area. you'd be suprised at all the edibles out there. stay wild!

kimmie is offline Senior Member
    My 2.5 year old, dh and I went foraging for blackberries last night. The little guy ate until he was stuffed and his hands and face were smeared purple He was so happy and proud when he learned how to find the bushes himself and pick them himself. We had so much fun. I told dh it was very Grok of us.

Funkadelic Flash is offline Senior Member
    My parents have about 60 ft^2 in their backyard filled with raspberry vines. They went on vacation for the last 5 days and since I only live about 30 minutes away from home, I got asked if I could pick the raspberries a few times while they were gone. My reward? Free* raspberries!!!

Now I have 3 gallon-sized, ziploc bags full of raspberries in my freezer. YES!!! I love summer.

*Of course I had to drive home and pick them, but a small price to pay.

Khrystyna is offline Senior Member
    Wow are they ready where you are already? I'm in the south of Ireland and ours are miles off yet! I was so delighted when I moved into my house to find wild rasberries growing like crazy in the hedgerows, looking forward to doing a batch of homebrew with them this year.
    My primal adventures:
    http://foodfloraandfelines.blogspot.com/
    Cooking, nutrition, gardening, foraging, preserving, photography

Mainer is offline Senior Member
    Raspberries haven't quite ripened up here yet, either have the blueberries. Have some wild raspberries and quite a bit of wild blueberries on our property and the surrounding acreage, major blueberry farm up behind us further up the mountain. It's a waiting game right now, glad to see others are enjoying the picking right now but must admit a bit envious!
    You'll never see the light if you're in someone else's shadow, or said another way, life is like a dog sled team, if you're not the lead dog, the scenery never changes

Picked a bunch more this evening after a walk on a mountain trail a few miles from our house. They were EVERYWHERE along the trail. My nonprimal friend didn't seem visibly annoyed when I stopped multiple times on the walk to eat "just one more," but she only tried one and refused to eat another. Huh? After she drove home I went back on the trail and filled up my little berry bucket to take home. Still leery of snakes (we have copperheads in these parts), but thankfully no encounters. Only ticks, spiders, chiggers and LOTS of berries!
    Last edited by Mermaid; 06-29-2010 at 07:44 PM. Reason: spelling. weird keyboard
    Mermaid

Khrystyna is offline Senior Member
    What are Chiggers? Wow wild blueberries now that must be something else, we have nothing so nearly exotic where I come from.
    Last edited by Khrystyna; 06-30-2010 at 04:18 AM.
    My primal adventures:
    http://foodfloraandfelines.blogspot.com/
    Cooking, nutrition, gardening, foraging, preserving, photography

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast