Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Are Legumes Really That Bad? page

FatIsAwesome is offline Member

Are Legumes Really That Bad?

So in Robb Wolf's The Paleo Solution, he lumps grains and legumes into the same category, basically saying avoid them completely.

But, while I understand why grains are bad I'm not 100% on why legumes are so bad.

Yes, they have phytic acid which prevents nutrients in the legume from being absorbed BUT phytic acid doesn't actually leech existing minerals from your body or anything, it just renders the legumes nutritionally empty.

Here's the thing though, as long as you are eating lots of meat and veges you should be getting plenty of good micronutrients so it's ok to indulge in "filler calories", stuff that has low micronutrient value.

Is there anything really wrong with eating legumes sometimes? More specifically, the canned kind, like Chilli Beans, Baked Beans, Kidney Beans, etc.

Keen to hear your thoughts on this. I'm currently in the process of refining my diet to only exclude things that are actually bad for me, not just things that don't conform to the paleo way.

picklepete is offline Senior Member
    Lumping the whole family together can be misleading.

• Soy and peanuts are pretty bad if you care about O6 fat, endocrine disruptors, immuno-reactive proteins, and dubious growing conditions.

• Starchy beans can be digestively unkind and most folks don't need the filler calories. Coaxing them out of their storage phase of life with soaking or culturing is probably wise--I would skip the canned ones. Baked beans in particular tend to have a long ingredient list. Though frozen green peas are immature and very low in these toxins.

• Pea pods, green beans, mung sprouts, and other low-energy parts are all groovy.

Legumes are seeds and seed foods range from harmless to harmful but none of them are really beneficial IME. Plenty of other options for filler calories.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Hedonist2 is offline Senior Member
    I eat Eden Foods organic, soaked, canned (BPA-free) beans. Easy, cheap, healthy food.
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

My MDA Friday success story - Stubborn Senior's Testimonial

tonydeluce is offline Member
    Hi is there any info available on how and how long they have been soaked?

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

LindyCG is offline Senior Member
    Search around for what wholehealthsource.blogspot.com and Chris kresser say about legumes. I've been soaking my black beans for 24-36 hours (some people say 12-24, some say up to 48 hours), then cooking and cooling them to maximize resistant starch. I soak then in warm water (just slightly warm, not boiling to start), and just leave them in a covered pot on the stove to soak. I've also seen references to adding a little vinegar to the water but idk what that does.

I love black beans and lentils, and only excluded them from my diet to stay low carb. I'm not eating low carb anymore so I'm back to eating them on occasion.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I figure that if I have to soak or process something for 24 hours to make it okay to eat, I might as well just leave it in the store. When the heck did everyone get so addicted to beans? Tasteless little blobs of squish.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Hapromeen56 is offline Junior Member
    I am with JoanieL on this aspect, I do not understand all the love for beans. I have never found a bean that I felt I could not do without. I understand that they are a rich source of protein and readily available, but I could cut them out of my diet forever and not miss them.

tonydeluce is offline Member
    I am with you but if Eden ' s Organic black beans have been properly soaked they would be a nice treat every week or so and a decent source of RS...

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Alfi56 is offline Senior Member
    Hell, I eat tofu and peanut butter in moderation.

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I love beans - delicious, nutritious and easy to prepare. Just cover with water, leave for 24 hours, rinse and then cook until tender. I use a pressure cooker which makes it all much quicker. Cold, they make delicious salads with a vinaigrette and plenty of garlic and herbs. Hot, they are wonderful in stews and casseroles, also as an accompaniment to main course. Hummus is a delight and peas pudding (I'm from the North East of England, where peas pudding is pretty much a staple) is almost a miracle food. It appears on most dinner tables frequently - and so many people in the north east reach a very fit and healthy old age!

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast