Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Are Legumes Really That Bad? page 7

Timthetaco Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannakb View Post
    What's being said is that legumes aren't the best source of protein, not don't eat them they are worthless.
    You sure? I read that all the time.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Timthetaco View Post
    You sure? I read that all the time.
    Some people say that, yep. Not me though. For protein legumes are suboptimal at best. But they have other uses.
    "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Nellodee is offline Senior Member
    So, which foods have the amino acids missing from beans? Does it vary by bean? :P

Same question for other legumes, like soy.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nellodee View Post
    So, which foods have the amino acids missing from beans? Does it vary by bean? :P

Same question for other legumes, like soy.
    Grains, mostly. =\

So for true primal vegetarian, that's going to mean a LOT of white rice since the other grains aren't really so hot nutritionally. Hell even white rice isn't the greatest, but at least it's not full of the anti-nutrients common to other grains.

Soy is a complete protein, but hopefully you're not eating skads and skads of it regardless.
    "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

AMonkey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    Your comparison is not apt. You didn't add in the caloric load from the complementary grains that are necessary to make the beans/lentils a "complete" protein. Because yeah, food combining in the same meal isn't necessary, but if you don't get the complimentary source of aminos at some point, your muscle can't use the legumes to assist with muscle building. It needs ALL of the pieces eventually.

That was, I think, SB's point about caloric load. She was considering the whole package necessary in a legume-heavy diet to achieve the complete protein profile man needs to build and maintain muscle.

It's like all the people here saying "why should I have gelatin in my post workout sake? It's not a complete protein!" Well, no, but it will still build your muscles if you get a few of the missing pieces (basically minute amounts of tryptophan) from other dietary components within the same day as well.

And also, if quibbling over 31 calories is a sticking point... You're worrying about calories TOO much. There is a limit.
    Whether or not protein is complete or it is mostly irrelevant as far as I'm concerned, which was what I was trying to point out. If you are on a healthy diet you will be eating meat enough that sources of incomplete protein aren't an issue.
    http://lifemutt.blogspot.sg/ - Gaming, Food Reviews and Life in Singapore

Hannakb is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AMonkey View Post
    Whether or not protein is complete or it is mostly irrelevant as far as I'm concerned, which was what I was trying to point out. If you are on a healthy diet you will be eating meat enough that sources of incomplete protein aren't an issue.
    But all the protien in legumes response are in reply to a vegetarian asking why it's not a complete protein

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Nellodee is offline Senior Member
    Beans should be complete proteins. I think I'll write my congresspeople in the morning; we'll get this all sorted out.

But seriously thanks for your help guys

The fact that their lacking in methionine is a good thing. If people were to switch some of the protein foods their eating now for legumes you'll probably be improving glucose tolerance and heart disease risk.

MEversbergII is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nellodee View Post

Hey! Hope you're well

Eating meat was never really an option here. Vegetarian 4 lyfe maybe. Or at least 4... the foreseeable future lol. Beans super great yes.
    Oh ok. Try out banana-egg pancakes for an egg solution; helped me out for sure.

M.

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I have just cooked some chickpeas (yesterday, in a pressure cooker - they'd been soaked for 36 hours) and left them to cool overnight. This morning I opened the pressure cooker to transfer them to a bowl to go in the fridge. The liquid they'd been cooked in had "gelled" like chicken stock does. Has anyone had this happen?? I couldn't bring myself to throw it out, so I will use it in hummus, or a soup, as it MUST have some goodness in it?

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast