Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Are Legumes Really That Bad? page 4

maurile is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Best article I've seen on this topic: Legumes are paleo.

maurile is offline Senior Member
    "The evidence for wild legume consumption by humans is as strong as it is for any plant food consumed during the Paleolithic." -- Stephan Guyenet

FrenchFry is online now Senior Member
    I think J. Stanton from gnolls.org has not been a big fan of legumes because some contain a non-proteinogenic amino-acid called canavanine. If you read about it, it does not sound very good ...
    but which legumes contain it, which ones don't, I can't say and this won't stop me from eating beans once in a while

LindyCG is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FrenchFry View Post
    I think J. Stanton from gnolls.org has not been a big fan of legumes because some contain a non-proteinogenic amino-acid called canavanine. If you read about it, it does not sound very good ...
    but which legumes contain it, which ones don't, I can't say and this won't stop me from eating beans once in a while
    I am far from an expert on this, but my quick googling indicated canavanine was only in alfalfa sprouts and not all legumes.

Gains is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by john_e_turner_ii View Post
    Based on studies, anyone that eats legumes eventually dies. Avoid them if you can to prevent death.

Based on studies anyone that eats ANYTHING (or doesn't) evenually dies.

let me know when you discover the diet to immortality.

Juliemama is offline Senior Member
    Help me out here, guys. So if you soak your beans does it make them easier to digest? I generally avoid them, due to bloating/gas, but if they are in a particular dish that I MUST have I eat em. They taste fine to me, just swell my belly up, so I don't eat them very often. I would assume the the more they have been cooked (soaked, cooked, refried, etc) they would be easier to digest?

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Juliemama View Post
    Help me out here, guys. So if you soak your beans does it make them easier to digest? I generally avoid them, due to bloating/gas, but if they are in a particular dish that I MUST have I eat em. They taste fine to me, just swell my belly up, so I don't eat them very often. I would assume the the more they have been cooked (soaked, cooked, refried, etc) they would be easier to digest?
    I find that LONG soaking (like 24 / 36 hours) really does help with side effects - in that there ARE no side effects...

Nice info here (and useful links FROM this page)

How To Cook Beans in a Pressure Cooker Cooking Lessons from The Kitchn | The Kitchn

AMonkey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FatIsAwesome View Post
    Yeah... but I'm talking about eating them unsoaked (ie canned beans). If I'm going to be eating beans it's going to be out of convenience. I'm sure as hell not going to spend 24 hours preparing them, they aren't worth that amount of trouble.
    Canned beans already have some level of soaking, since they are in a can of water. And if you find putting a bowl of legumes in water overnight "trouble" then it's a wonder how you survive at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Juliemama View Post
    Soaking should help, but some people can't tolerate legumes at all.
    Last edited by AMonkey; 04-28-2014 at 02:05 AM.
    http://lifemutt.blogspot.sg/ - Gaming, Food Reviews and Life in Singapore

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    I think the problem with legumes is that a) many people do not properly soak them, including factories that put cooked beans in cans. And b) many people believe they are an adequate protein source, which they are not. Other than that, they're an okay food to eat, not particularly high in nutrition, and somewhat high in calories, at least the way they are often eaten.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

Demosthenes is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I love beans, but if it's been a while since I have eaten them they will definitely make me flatulate no matter how they are prepared. If I'm eating beans on a daily basis for a while then it will go away. It seems to be one of those foods that has special gut flora requirements. Then again I have a very forgiving digestive tract. I can eat all the grains, dairy, and beans I want without issue.
    Love, peace, and bacon grease.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast