Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Keepin' It Real.....Out of the Ashes of Denial page

K-Tel Records is offline Senior Member

Keepin' It Real.....Out of the Ashes of Denial

Primal Fuel
    49/F, ex-Navy, currently your favorite IT person at work.

I started weight training in the early 90's (when 24 hr Fitness was Family Fitness), went pretty strong until the early '00's, then off and on.

Started Crossfit in 2010. Started Paleo because of a challenge presented at our box...the person who lost the most BF% after 30 days of eating Paleo won $100. We had to log all meals online, support each other, etc....I won the $$. I found Paleo easy to follow (meat, veggies, fruit, nuts, seeds, some dairy and good oils....how simple is that) and I had lots of energy. Continued on after the challenge.

I ended a 7 year relationship in Dec. 2011, but was miserable way before then. It showed. I slacked big time on workouts. Quit the box. Settled in for some carb comforting. Tried to ride things out, hoping it would get better. It didn't.

I had no drive to do anything. I would wake up mornings and think "ugh.....AGAIN?!?" It was all I could do to just go to work. I would snack at work, then come home and comfort-snack some more, while watching movies and wishing I didn't have to live in TODAY.

I finally got into enough pain to do something different. Went to the Dr. and explained HONESTLY what was going on with me. We worked out a plan of action, agreeing on the bare minimum to see if that would help. That was about a month ago. Thank goodness for the Dr. and thank goodness I had the willingness. I feel like i've done a 180, and I feel like i'm "back". *sigh of relief*

So I want to document and be honest about it so I can keep accountability. I started back this past Monday 4/14 (walk/run 3.1 miles 3x/week and weight training 3x a week). Because I read the START HERE on the MDA home page, I was able to take some action before I "started". I cleaned my kitchen of all non-Paleo items, went shopping and cooked up some meals for the week.

I have access to a nice park with hiking and running trails, and i'm still a member of 24 hr. Fitness. I work with law enforcement, so I have access to their gym. They have a lot of old school weights, squat racks, etc (trap bar deadlifts...my favorite) so I go there during lunch hour, and save 24 for the weekends or when i'm not at work.

Starting measurements (i'm not into the whole weigh yourself thing):

Neck: 13 3/4"
    Shoulders: 44"
    Chest: 36"
    Waist: 32"
    Stomach: 37 1/4"
    Hips: 45 3/4" (ugh)
    Thighs: 26" (yeah, that's EACH )
    Bodyfat: 30.1% (I use the old Accumeasure bf calipers. Not perfect, but when I see the # going down I know i'm doing it right)

Monday WOD: 40 minutes weights (squats, deadlifts, bench press) My rep range is usually 5-6 per set.

Tuesday WOD: walk/jog around the park trail once (3.1 miles). Also made myself get up and run tickets helping people during the workday. Walked up and down all stairs, set up some workstations, etc

Wednesday WOD: 40 minutes weights/bodyweights (OH presses, chest dips, standard pushups, 5 sets of 5)

Thursday WOD: i'm going to do another walk/run around the park, 3.1 miles, after work.

I've been eating Paleo all week. I made a ground beef/ground lamb/eggplant/garlic, onion, etc. casserole i've been eating, it's gone as of just now. I've also been eating sauteed boneless/skinless thighs, tilapia loins I got from Costco, swiss chard, some apples (fruit in moderation, but I still have a sugar withdrawal headache).

Vappid is offline Junior Member
    Another Navy type! I'm a new guy too, so welcome! Feel free to give me a yell if you ever need motivation. I was ordnance on the Ike from 97-2001.

Sounds like you have a good plan, keep us updated!

bullymama is offline Senior Member
    Just wanted to say "hi", K-Tel Records! I just started eating Primal (not totally Paleo as I still have a little dairy), for the past two weeks. I'm thoroughly enjoying all the great foods. Your eggplant/beef casserole sounds delicious!!

Sounds like you're off to a great start and looking forward to hearing about your journey

Saturday....and i'm off all next week!! yeahhhhh

Anyway, yesterday wasn't all that great. I was extra stressed out at work. We are still under fire due to software programs that don't like playing with the upgrade to Windows 7. Fielding hundreds of questions (how do you do this and that....the urge to say "Google that mofo" was in my thoughts all day. I had a sinus headache and didn't feel like working out or doing anything Paleo or Primal related. So I caved and had a bag of Vic's Lite Popcorn and a bar of Godiva dark chocolate 72% for "dinner". ugh....

I woke up this morning not feeling that bad though. Live and learn. Even if it means just walking away from my desk, I have to take the time out during lunch to workout. When I do, it relieves a lot of stress and enables me to handle the 2nd half of my day more constructively.

Breakfast: Large coffee with 1T. coconut oil and cream. Lunch: 1 boiled egg and 1 gala apple. Dinner: 10 oz. sirloin steak. baked eggplant drizzled with olive oil. Snack: Israeli sunflower seeds, 1 serving.

justpeachy is online now Member
    Welcome, K-Tel! Don't worry if you hit a few bumps as you get started. Sounds like you had a great day yesterday and you're already back on track. Hope you have a great week off. I am beyond jealous!

Quote Originally Posted by K-Tel Records View Post
    Starting measurements (i'm not into the whole weigh yourself thing):
    4/17/2014:

Neck: 13 3/4"
    Shoulders: 44"
    Chest: 36"
    Waist: 32"
    Stomach: 37 1/4"
    Hips: 45 3/4" (ugh)
    Thighs: 26" (yeah, that's EACH )
    Bodyfat: 30.1% (I use the old Accumeasure bf calipers. Not perfect, but when I see the # going down I know i'm doing it right)
    4/22/2014:

Neck: 13 1/2"
    Shoulders: 43 1/2"
    Chest: 34 3/4"
    Waist: 30 1/2"
    Stomach: 35 1/2"
    Hips: 45 1/4"
    Thighs: 25 3/4"
    BF: 28.6%

Woo-hoo!

I've been lifting 3x a week (squats, deads, overhead press, bench presses, pullups, 8 rep max per set) and jog/walk 3.1 miles 3x per week.

Eating plenty of meats, vegetables, some fruit, heavy cream in coffee (and I just bought some Kerrygold to make that bulletproof coffee. I've had it 2x and it really helps with energy levels AND is satiating. I'm not hungry until around noon.) almonds, coconut oil, EVOO. And bacon. I've added in some unflavored/unsweetened grass fed whey protein.

I'm not counting calories. I'm eating until i'm full. To be honest, I don't want to count right now. The inches are moving and that's all i'm concerned with. I feel leaner and stronger since i'm back in the gym and walking the trails looking at all the other people walking/running is very motivating. I feel as if i'm "back." *sigh of relief*

I love eating this way. I'm not deliberately denying myself food, as I want to be able to support my weight training sessions. I love lifting heavy, and compound movements are my way to go, as i'd rather hit it hard and heavy, get in and get out. I'm watching tv in the evenings and not wanting to binge, not thinking about snacksnacksnackcomfortcomfortfeelsorryformyself, lather, rinse, repeat. YAYY

Wow, your measurements look great!

When you drink the bulletproof coffee, is that in place of eating breakfast? i'm curious about trying it myself but wonder if i'll still want some solid food to eat in addition. I don't do well with just having liquids for a meal.

You're doing great and I love how upbeat and positive you are sounding…very inspiring!

I don't eat breakfast, I do an IF style of eating. I'd rather eat one big azz meal (1000+ cals) then a smaller meal (600-700 cals) later on in the evening. I like the bulletproof coffee because it is satiates me and i'm not starving by the time I eat my first meal of the day. Also it tastes super creamy and I don't feel deprived. I just shave off the 200 cals from the butter from either one of those big meals I have.

Okkk.....so i've been enjoying my week off "staycation" from work. I'm in my 2nd week of working out and eating Primal/Paleo. I'm glad I took this week off, as most of the recipes i've tried out have been time consuming. I'm getting a chance to work out a schedule for cooking food and prepping it for a normal work week. I go back this Monday.

Now, for THE.LIVER.INCIDENT. I bought some beef liver telling myself (after my mom used to make us sit there for hours until we finished our plate of liver, kidneys, beef tongue and other tasty delights) that that was all in the past, I will LOVE liver now and, sauteed with bacon, onions and mushrooms will rocket me into offal heaven! So I had coffee with Kerrygold butter in the morning, went to the gym and worked out, then had a protein shake (grass fed whey) an apple, and some almonds. I was shopping around all day, got home that evening and was starving.

I rushed through the cooking process, smelled wonderful, etc. Sat down to eat and.....ugh. I tried to fake myself out but I.HATED.EVERY.BITE. Cotdamit, about and hour of prep/cook and I was still starving! I ended up shoving it all in the garbage disposal and throwing some chicken drumettes in the oven. I ate a bighuge chunk o' watermelon, some cashews and 2 scoops of grass fed whey in water while waiting for the drums to cook, then was full due to all the water and ended up putting the chicken in the fridge *sigh*.

Anyway, today I had coffee with Kerrygold butter and a little heavy cream. Lunch was a grilled turkey burger and a salad (homemade with the veggies I got from 99 Ranch Market, dressing was EVOO/Dr. Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar). I went to this AWESOME place called Revival Market in the Heights (Houston, TX). They had all kinds of Paleo/Primal friendly stuff, and I had been dying to visit there for a while. I bought 3 Epic bars, 3 organic lemons, some grass fed ground beef, a nice chunk of 87% dark chocolate (to the tune of $7.95) and a pint of half and half. For dinner I had my homemade "pho" using the beef broth I had made this past weekend, the thinly sliced rib eye, some fresh basil leaves and a half of the package of shirataki noodles. It was great, and a complete 180 of the dinner I had lastnight! For dessert tonight, I had a square of 87% dark chocolate. Now i'm sitting watching some Antenna TV and reading journals! Tomorrow is Friday and the last weekday of my days off, and I enjoyed them!!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    It's so funny reading your food journal b/c I'm finding that you and share a fondness for similar foods! well, maybe i shouldn't say "fondness" but like you, I'm telling myself that I "like" liver! I have been eating either beef or chicken liver 1-2x/week. For me, I found that when I fry the beef liver with some bacon, it tastes better. I've heard that you can soak the liver in milk for an hour prior to cooking and that strong-livery flavor won't be as bad. Also, have you tried chicken livers yet? i like the taste a bit better. Sorta milder. You can also combine chopped up liver with ground meat and make a meatloaf or just stir fry everything together.

The first week of going primal i was going nuts with my food prepping. I would come home from work only to find myself spending an hour or more cooking dinner. I didn't like that. So now, on Sundays usually, I will prep all the veggies for the week...wash them, cut them up, roast or steam them, and store them in baggies/containers. I have lots of proteins in the freezer or fridge so usually that part of the meal is easier to prep.

I also buy shirataki often. I just pan fry that in a tad of fat with some garlic.

Sounds like you had a great staycation!

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast