Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eating primal a disorder? According to The Guardian, it is! page

MarkRose is offline Member

Eating primal a disorder? According to The Guardian, it is!

Primal Fuel
    I don't know if this was posted before, but read this:

Refusing to touch sugar, salt, caffeine, alcohol, wheat, gluten, yeast, soya, corn and dairy foods is just the start of their diet restrictions. Any foods that have come into contact with pesticides, herbicides or contain artificial additives are also out.
    Since when was eating healthily a disorder??

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/20...ating-disorder

SheGlowsPale is offline Senior Member
    Oh..I'm gonna get flamed for this.

While, I do eat primal and I dont believe its an eating disorder in anyway and I don't agree that it will make you malnourished or some of the other things in that article say...I DO understand what they are trying to say about people who completely obsess over eating clean. I actually had this conversation with a friend of mine like a month ago about people who are obsessed with eating clean. Personally, obsession over any type of food is unhealthy mentally...whether it be a healthy food or not. It's almost just another excuse for it to be ok to be obsess about something or trading one addiction for another. When it becomes a "fixation" it isn't healthy anymore, and I do know a few people like that. Its not even about eating clean anymore - its just finding something they believe is healthy to become addicted to bc they need an addiction.

Like I said, I do eat primal...I don't eat sugar...I don't eat grains...but I don't absolutely obsess about it like some people I know do about what they will and will not eat. I've watched some of my "eat clean" friends when it comes to food - and it DOES border on an eating disorder. you can eat clean and be careful about what you eat and thats healthy and awesome...but some people do take it too far..its more a mental issue then a "health" issue in my opinion.
    The pain of discipline or the pain of regret? You choose.

Oh look - I made a Journal.

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    Only in a world so backward like ours is eating healthy considered a disorder. Just like that saying, "truth is treason in the empire of lies".
    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rphlslv View Post
    Only in a world so backward like ours is eating healthy considered a disorder. Just like that saying, "truth is treason in the empire of lies".
    Healthy eating isn't and hasn't ever been considered a disorder. It's when the obsession with healthy eating interferes with the ability to lead a happy, full and productive life that it could be considered disordered.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    I will freely admit that I'm obsessed with eating healthy and I'm also obsessed with having my abs all the way defined as well. I'm freaking Ahab on that particular subject right now. As for that being a disorder or problem I'll quote a friend of mine "It's only a problem if you try and fix it."

ColoradoSteve is offline Senior Member
    Having a disorder is all relative. We might consider people that drink a 6 pack of soda every day as having a disorder. They might consider people that drink a pot of coffee every day as having a disorder. I consider people that bike or run 2-3 hours a day as having a disorder and they probably consider me doing crossfit 4x a week as having a disorder.

It's a vicious circle.
    Never, never, never quit! -- Winston Churchill

SheGlowsPale is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoSteve View Post
    Having a disorder is all relative. We might consider people that drink a 6 pack of soda every day as having a disorder. They might consider people that drink a pot of coffee every day as having a disorder. I consider people that bike or run 2-3 hours a day as having a disorder and they probably consider me doing crossfit 4x a week as having a disorder.

It's a vicious circle.
    Ahh...this is quite true. You are definitely right. All perspective I suppose. But I still understand where the article is coming from.
    The pain of discipline or the pain of regret? You choose.

Oh look - I made a Journal.

Steve-O is offline Senior Member
    It's not relative. If someone's obsession with eating healthy makes them miserable, then it defeats the purpose. They either aren't going to live very long because they are too stressed out about it, or they will live a long miserable life--always obsessing. Either way, they are defeating the purpose of eating healthy, which is to help them lead a longer happier life.

ColoradoSteve is offline Senior Member
    Sure its relative. Having a disorder doesn't requre a person to be miserable. If everyone else on the earth only made right turns and I made left and right turns, I would be considered as having a disorder. (I'd also get where I was going faster).

It's an interesting discussion.
    Never, never, never quit! -- Winston Churchill

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoSteve View Post
    Having a disorder doesn't requre a person to be miserable. If everyone else on the earth only made right turns and I made left and right turns .
    No, you'd just be contrary. You woudln't have a disorder

Having a disorder doesn't mean the individual is necessarily miserable (think Narcissistic Personality Disorder), but it does cause impairment.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast