Thread: Menstrual Migraines? page

kimmie is offline Senior Member

Menstrual Migraines?

Primal Fuel
    Every single month I get a menstrual migraine that starts either just before or just at the onset of my period. It lasts anywhere from 1-3 days. I have a Mirena IUD and don't typically have an ACTUAL period, sometimes nothing, sometimes just spotting.

Does anyone else suffer from menstrual migraines? How did you treat? I never had these pre-baby (and I had a mirena and no periods for 3 years pre-baby).

I talked to my regular physician about it and he just gave me some migraine pills to treat it. I would actually like to PREVENT them instead. I obviously eat primal so I've removed any dietary triggers (sugar, grains, etc) already. I have never, ever had a migraine other than these menstrual ones I get every month.

Kara is offline Member
    The Mirena IUD has a low dose of hormones, right? Is this a new symptom with the IUD? Were you previously on hormonal BC? The reason I ask, if you are taking hormones, one of the side effects is stroke and if you are having any migraine symptoms you should stop taking the hormonal BC. I would check the Mirena side effects and see if it lists this--if it does, discuss with your doctor immediately.

I get migraines all the time from fragranced products, so I am vigilant about avoiding them. But, if you are getting migraines just around the time of your period, then, it's obviously not that. I know my above advice doesn't really help with the migraines, but I still thought it was worth mentioning.

elorajade is offline Senior Member
    I used too, then I started supplementing with krill oil, which is supposed to help balance out hormones. This is my 2nd month migraine free, and mid month anxiety/depression/crying jags/over eating, hunting down chocolate before someone dies a horrible death binges.

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    I obviously eat primal so I've removed any dietary triggers (sugar, grains, etc) already. I have never, ever had a migraine other than these menstrual ones I get every month.
    Menstrual migraines typically, as one might imagine, are triggered by hormonal imbalances between estrogen and progesterone but in my personal experience, they're also strongly influenced by magnesium

Since magnesium is the cheap, easy, safe and since you're likely not getting enough, it's probably worth trying some Mg to see if it helps. If you tend towards constipation, then Mg Citrate is a great option - any will do. If constipation is never a problem, then I'd avoid Mg Citrate, instead going for Mg Malate (over oxide, aspartate etc) You can get it at iherb.com

It's also really important to be sure your'e getting enough D (from sun and/or supplements....see link below). Cruciferous veggies can also help balance estrogens, reducing the strong ones to a more tolerable level - 2c per day of cruciferous veggies is appropriate. I think I also have list below in the links.

Neptune Krill Oil, while pricey, is wonderful for improving progesterone levels and eliminating pms which for you may eliminate your migraines. I have a link for it from iherb below in my docs.

Best,
    Katherine

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

superdeluxe is offline Senior Member
    Hi Kara,
    The Mirena does not contain estrogen, so will not increase risk of stroke. It is safe for women with migraine, even with aura, to use.
    Il faut vivre et non pas seulement exister.

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by superdeluxe View Post
    Hi Kara,
    The Mirena does not contain estrogen, so will not increase risk of stroke. It is safe for women with migraine, even with aura, to use.
    it contains synthetic progestogen:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Levonorgestrel

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Eklecktika is offline Senior Member
    A 1/4 teaspoon of OTC progesterone cream rubbed on the temples was recommended for my sister with PMS migraines. If she did it when she first got the aura, it helped.

YMMV, but it helped her.
    Chief cook & bottle washer for one kid, a dog, 6 hens, 2 surprise! roosters, two horses, and a random 'herd' of quail.

~The ultimate ignorance is the rejection of something one knows nothing about and refuses to investigate~

kimmie is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the suggestions! I'm currently taking 500 mg magnesium daily but I can't remember which "type" so I'll check that when I get home. I'll add some Krill oil in with my fish oil and cod liver oil I already take to see if that makes a difference as well. I also need to make an appointment to get my Vit D rechecked. I was VERY low and they started me on a prescription Vit D. Then he had me just supplement with 4000 IU daily after the prescription ran out. I need to see if that was enough. I did notice that this month, the migraine only lasted one day instead of three. I'm not sure if that's because I've implemented some of the changes or if it's because I took a prescription migraine treatment on the first day (I've never taken a prescription treatment before - always just suffered through).

fortunata1 is offline Junior Member
    I experienced debilitating menstrual migraines until a year and a half ago. Maca totally did the trick, with the added bonus of all but eliminating my cramps and reducing PMS.

About two weeks before my period, I start taking two table spoons a day of raw maca. Once I'm menstruating I stop taking it. Rinse and repeat every month.

Lynmarie is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Vitex (also known as Chasteberry) is what finally worked for me. I had menstrual migraines for years. I tried all kinds of things without luck and then ran across Vitex almost by accident. I don't know why it never came up in any of the searches I did. It's a well documented hormone balancing herb that helps just about any hormonal ailment you can name, including headaches.

Anyway, after taking it for about a month and a half, my menstrual migraines improved greatly, and six months later they're still much better. I still get the occasional headache during my period, but it's much milder. Instead of a string of days where I feel like crap and can barely think straight, I just have one or two slightly iffy days. That's huge for me, after struggling with this for most of my life. It's become a non-issue.

Vitex is cheap, you can buy it online or at a vitamin store near you, and it helps with other stuff too. My periods are shorter and lighter now as well. I hope that helps someone else get relief a lot faster than I did!

Lynn