Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: just got a juicer, page

Kingofturtles is offline Senior Member

just got a juicer,

gimme ur fav recipes for breakfast, ladies and gents.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    My husband and I make this juice each day:

2 kinds of big, green leaves -- chard, kale, dandelion greens, bak choy, collards, etc

2 kinds of herbs -- i prefer cilantro and parsley. Parsley is easy to get, if you can't get cilantro, then double parsley, and if you can get a second herb, like mint, then go with that.

1 small green leaf -- we usually use spinach here, but you can use arugala, any kind of green (wheatgrass) or sprout (sunflower seed or mung bean), or even just lettuce. a lot of folks seem to like romain lettuce in their juice.

1 cucumber regular sized or 1/2 telegraph cucumber (extra long cukes).

5 celery ribs

1-2 inch ginger (depends upon how much ginger you like)

1 lemon (i keep the peel on, but some people say take all the peels off citrus. I don't find that necessary.)

Now, generally speaking, we buy the first two kinds of greens in bunches, and those bunches are large enough to divide into thirds (3 days worth). Then, once juiced, we divide this juice in half between my husband and I.

I then add, because my diet is high carb and I prefer what it adds to the flavor,

1 small green apple (or other apple or pear, depending upon availability)
    1 grapefruit peeled (or, a kiwi fruit, unpeeled; or orange, peeled; or other fruit that may be available such as pineapple or similar).

This makes about 10 oz of green juice each, and then I add the apple/grapefruit and that can take it up another 4-6 oz in general.

Carrot and apple is also quite popular, as is carrot and orange. I find them too sweet, but might put a carrot into my green juice on occasion.

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    I like to juice about 4 celery sticks, 2 carrots, 1 beet, half a cucumber and a 1 inch piece of ginger (organic, with the peel on). This is the basic juice, to which I will add (not all together but as and when) either some dandelion greens, or parsley, or a crisp lettuce, rarely a very crisp apple is a pleasant addition.

gdot is offline Senior Member
    I much prefer to blend the whole fruit/vegetable into a smoothie so I can also get the beneficial fiber.

codered5 is offline Senior Member
    Great! Now, figure out a way to use it as a blender to include the fiber as well or return it.

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gdot View Post
    I much prefer to blend the whole fruit/vegetable into a smoothie so I can also get the beneficial fiber.
    I juice in order to AVOID the fibre - too much of it I find very far from beneficial! There is quite enough in my cooked veg and raw fruit.

OneBigDude is offline Member
    I drink a shake every morning for breakfast at work. I put 3 cups of spinach, 1/2 cup of blackberries, 1 scoop of chocolate egg white protein, and 8 oz of almond milk. The egg protein makes it really cholcolatey, thick and frothy like a melted frosty

Quote Originally Posted by OneBigDude View Post
    I drink a shake every morning for breakfast at work. I put 3 cups of spinach, 1/2 cup of blackberries, 1 scoop of chocolate egg white protein, and 8 oz of almond milk. The egg protein makes it really cholcolatey, thick and frothy like a melted frosty
    Sounds delicious.

I do mine with all veggies and fruit, always with some of the contents from frozen - occasionally with protein powder - but mostly with some seeds such as chia or walnuts or even almonds - add some water and blend away.

I find that lot's of people around here are very negative towards the PUFA in almonds - while I study that further I'm mostly concentrating on Walnuts, and Chia Seeds.

<enter the hoards who write off seeds as dangerous>

OneBigDude is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gdot View Post
    Sounds delicious.

I do mine with all veggies and fruit, always with some of the contents from frozen - occasionally with protein powder - but mostly with some seeds such as chia or walnuts or even almonds - add some water and blend away.

I find that lot's of people around here are very negative towards the PUFA in almonds - while I study that further I'm mostly concentrating on Walnuts, and Chia Seeds.

<enter the hoards who write off seeds as dangerous>
    This is my first week using almond milk. I usually blend with coconut milk instead, but the almond was on sale!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by OneBigDude View Post
    This is my first week using almond milk. I usually blend with coconut milk instead, but the almond was on sale!
    Cool deal - sales are a great excuse for some variety in the routine!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast