Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alternative Workouts page

kiwisk8girl is offline Junior Member

Alternative Workouts

Primal Fuel
    Hi Everyone :-)

I'm new here. I read one of Marks posts a while ago on doing the exercise that you love and will do regularly and it really resonated with me. I kind of switch off when I get into a gym, but LOVE other forms of exercise. Looking at the fitness section here there seems to be a lot about lifting weights but not so much about other fantastic forms of fitness. So I thought I'd start a thread about the other great things we do (that we may or may not term 'workouts').

Here's a little about me:

32 year old female
    Live in the Wairarapa, New Zealand
    5'9"
    Weight 290 (down from 323 last Oct - Thank you primal!)

My Fitness week:

Mon: Artistic Skating training - Dance and Figures 1.5 hours
    Tuesday: Baby swim lessons with my 1yr old son, 30 min walk in afternoon
    Wednesday: Walking day - to town and around pushing the stroller 2 hr
    Thursday: Walk to town and back - 40 min, Skate training - Dance and Figures 1 hr
    Friday: Skate Training - Dance 1 hr
    Weekends: Digging garden, fixing fences, mucking out horse paddocks, riding quad bike, chasing baby.

I'd love to hear what the rest of you do!
    I'm also after any and all ideas to work on the legs. Skating needs lots of leg strength and it's an area I can definitely improve on. What do you reckon? Bodyweight type - squats, lunges? any other creative ideas?

Over to you! :-)

OldSchhool is offline Senior Member
    Mainly just gym, I don't go to socialize or waste any time though, as soon as I walk through the doors it's business-do what I have to do and get out.

Stacy15 is online now Senior Member
    I do more than just lifts weights.

swim - outdoors in rivers/lakes when i can
    trail riding on bike
    hike
    play softball and volleyball
    play ice hockey (can't really keep up with kids anymore)
    rollarblade
    ski
    canoe
    sometimes hit a rock climbing wall (since no outdoor rock climbing where I am)
    hunt (lots of walking)

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    Mainly just gym, I don't go to socialize or waste any time though, as soon as I walk through the doors it's business-do what I have to do and get out.
    this but i do more than just gym. i hike lots. average of 6k a day. maybe more. i do 3k every day barefoot on the beach with the dog. i have a 80 odd kg tyre i flip and trap deadlift. i have a barbell i do clean and jerk HIT with. i have clubbells. i hula hoop and i never sit still for long.

OldSchhool is offline Senior Member
    I do enjoy getting out with my girls.

Jefferson1775 is online now Senior Member
    Currently out of breath from playing with my roommate's hound dog . I also like playing sand volleyball when my friends are down for it and usually walk as much as I can on campus.
    In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

This message has been intercepted by the NSA, the only branch of government that listens.

Those woods look great. We have a lot of commercial pine plantations here, but they don't have all the other species of plants in them like natural pine forests. Our native bush is fantastic for hiking though. I went up to the lookout above our own the other day, it's only about a half hour walk, but it's pretty steep and definitely a challenge with a 26lb baby on your back!

Whew Stacy, that's a big list :-) I used to ski a lot when I lived in the south island, but now there are no real ski fields close to us. I sure miss it in the winter

seaweed - That tyre thing is a good idea. I have an old tractor tyre in my shed waiting to be made into a sandpit for H. I might dig that out later and have a go flipping it around. This morning I tried squatting every time I put H down on the floor - with my considerable bodyweight + H's 12kg I'm definitely feeling it now :-P

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    you can do something like BBY too ( body by you by mark lauren. Body by You, Mark Lauren - Shop Online for Books in NZ ) that is pretty good.

for the tyres. how heavy is it? i deadlift mine. i got lots of ideas too from here to adapt to the tyre.
    https://www.t-nation.com/training/un...-bar-exercises

i do love my bush walks but my main issue is taking the dog. most places are very precious about dogs. even my beach i get the odd issue with townies complaining about my boisterous large red dog playing with their dog LOL shortly after he has walked impecably past all sorts of rare and endangered marine mammals and native birds without harassing them! we also get the issue of DOC 1080ing or ferotoxing places too which is way dubious for the dog to be around. So yeah, i tend to more run up and down the beach with the dog and then go walking on the road near me on my own once he's worn out.

PrimalCon New York
    Thanks for the links Seaweed :-) I'll check them out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast