Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new study results: animal protein increases risk for diabetes page

Gwen is offline Member

new study results: animal protein increases risk for diabetes

Primal Fuel
    Too much animal protein linked to increased diabetes risk | Fox News

what say ye?

My first reaction is 'bullshit'...but that's just based on personal experience (not long term, admittedly) and so much positive real results for HELPING people WITH diabetes....

discuss.

bob loblaw is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwen View Post
    Too much animal protein linked to increased diabetes risk | Fox News

what say ye?

My first reaction is 'bullshit'...but that's just based on personal experience (not long term, admittedly) and so much positive real results for HELPING people WITH diabetes....

discuss.
    Another crap article based on loose correlations.

But, the funny part with this one is that the difference is actually quite small. The people who consumed the MOST animal protein only got Diabetes 17% more often than those in the LEAST quintile. That's not much, considering how many cofounders usually go along with eating lots of meat. (obesity, smoking, inactivity).

Honestly, the age of correlation based "science" articles sickens me. But it's here to stay, because it gets people to click on the article.

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    There are just too many possible unknown variables for this study to be conclusive. For example: what else was being consumed by the study subjects along with the high protein intake, adherence, accuracy of reporting, the source and quality of the meats and dairy, stress level, genetic predisposition, etc.

Yet, Dr. Hu, who was not even involved with the said study advocates for consuming nuts, legumes and whole grains in order to minimize the risk of developing diabetes. I'm somehow not following the logic there.

"The association between animal protein and diabetes risk appeared to be strongest among obese women."

I highly doubt the animal protein alone could have caused obesity in those women. Also, high animal sourced protein does not equate high fat.

Anyway, I don't think consistent high consumption of muscle meat is a good idea, and don't eat much of it and often, but not for the reasons they point out.
    Last edited by Graycat; 04-15-2014 at 10:13 AM.

WeldingHank is online now Senior Member
    Former type 2 chiming in. I have always eaten animal proteins, even when I was eating tons of processed stuff. Once I cleaned up the crap from my diet(with more animal proteins) and got in some movement, viola! no more Type 2 diabetes.

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwen View Post
    My first reaction is 'bullshit'...but
    Go with your first reaction.

Elliot is online now Senior Member
    Correlation is not causation!

Gwen is offline Member
    Ha! I'm learning. Reading up a lot today on epidemiological studies. veddy interesting.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, is that "high animal protein diets in isolation," or "high animal protein diets with processed grains (especially wheat), seed oils, and lots of sugar?"

Also, exercise? Lifestyle factors? And does animal protein include gelatin sources? Gelatin is known to be protective, so it could confound results.
    "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Gwen is offline Member
    Right off the bat, I noticed they kept mentioning 'processed meats', which in and of itself was a big red flag. Even still, yep, I'm still learning how to decipher studies...let alone the fact of who might be funding them.

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Folks with metabolic syndrome have trouble with energy production and increased appetite for everything ya? Choosing to spotlight one nutrient seems arbitrary without some deeper analysis.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast