Thread: How to deal with antibiotics? page

tarek is offline Senior Member

How to deal with antibiotics?

Primal Fuel
    I've been sick with a very mild bronchitis for about a month. The only real symptoms are some mild congestion and a productive cough that simply won't go away.

Although it hasn't really gotten worse, it also hasn't gotten much better. I've tried oil of oregano, megadoses of vitamin D & liposomal C, zinc, raw manuka honey, lots of sleep, strenuous exercise, raw lemon juice, Umcka Cold Care, echinacea, ginger, mullein, bromelain, etc. Some of it has helped, but nothing has managed to get rid of it.

I'm going to see a doctor tomorrow, and I'm pretty sure I will be prescribed antibiotics - I've done some reading, and they seem like they might be the best option at this point. If I do end up taking them, how can I mitigate the side effects? I plan on drinking plenty of kombucha and kefir for at least a week after, and maybe adding in some bone broth or pastured gelatin.

Is there anything else I should consider? Thanks for any suggestions!
    Last edited by tarek; Today at 12:05 AM.

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    If you have to take it twice a day (or more frequently) I wouldn't take any probiotics while you're on the antibiotics. You can rebuild your gut flora population when you're done with the abx. If it's only once a day, don't take probiotics until later in the day.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    have you tried using a neti pot and/or lots of steam? like tent your head over a big bowl of steaming water. adding aromatics like lavender or eucalyptus makes it nicer.

bronchitis is mostly caused by a virus and just takes a long time to clear up. it could take a couple months. annoying as hell, yeah, but antibiotics are not needed.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

TheyCallMeLazarus is online now Senior Member
    With a duration like that, it is highly unlikely that it is a virus. A young buck like yourself will typically defeat a viral infection pretty quickly.....that all said, it's not (or shouldn't be, at least) a shoe-in that you will be prescribed AB's.

Most long-term brochitis is caused by the initial immune reaction that your body likely had to an earlier virus. In this case, it is common in young people that the immune system over-reaches, taking defensive measures that last well after the initial antigen has been defeated.

In some cases, a bacterial infection has in fact established itself in the bronchial tubes, as the system may have been initially weakened fighting the virus. This would explain the low-grade mucus build-up you are reporting.....in other cases though, especially in young healthy people, it is actually just that the inflammatory defensive reaction from the causative antigen has remained, going into a sort of positive feedback loop.

My point is that an automatic Rx of antibiotics is completely unnecessary if it is the latter, which it very well may be. A good bet would be a sputum sample, a 6-hour turnaround to culture it in-office, and then a possible AB Rx if warranted. Otherwise, a low grade steroid pulse for just a few days will completely resolve your symptoms, as they could possibly be the result of immune system driven inflammation, rather than an actual bacterial colonization.

Hope this helps. I would perhaps push for a culture. The PCP's I deal with will have their head explode if others Rx antibiotics without a culture (standard bad procedure is to Rx a fluoroquinolone, the most powerful and broad spectrum AB class we have, just because you are too lazy to culture it and use something weaker but targeted = bacterial resistance)

Feel better man. I know that stuff sucks. Bronchitis means no working out really, so it's no fun.
    Last edited by TheyCallMeLazarus; Today at 07:55 AM.
    "The Sheep generally do not like the Sheepdog. He looks a lot like the Wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence.....the Sheep are thus disturbed by the Sheepdog. He is a constant reminder that there are Wolves in the land.

Until the Wolf shows up. Then the entire flock tries to hide desperately behind the one, lonely Sheepdog."

-- Col Dave Grossman

eats.meats.west is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tarek View Post
    I'm going to see a doctor tomorrow, and I'm pretty sure I will be prescribed antibiotics
    Why?

Doc Laz is of course most knowledgable about this and I'd take his advice. I went through too many rounds of AB in my life before finally realizing that you usually don't need them. And without a culture test they are just being cheap and lazy by prescribing them.

tarek is offline Senior Member
    @Lazarus, lots of good info in your post. I was thinking it might be bacterial because I developed some mild sinus congestion about week ago, which wasn't present for the first three weeks. And, like you mentioned, I get over most colds very quickly - last time I had one, I got over it in two days. But I also hadn't considered the possibility of a lingering immune response that you described.

Even if I'm prescribed antibiotics, I can be pretty stubborn, so they might sit on the shelf for a while before I actually take them, haha. I'll definitely try to get a culture test if I can. Thanks for your help!

Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    If you have to take it twice a day (or more frequently) I wouldn't take any probiotics while you're on the antibiotics. You can rebuild your gut flora population when you're done with the abx. If it's only once a day, don't take probiotics until later in the day.
    Good suggestion, I was wondering about timing. Do you think kombucha, raw yogurt, etc. would be enough or should I look into probiotic supplements? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by noodletoy View Post
    have you tried using a neti pot and/or lots of steam? like tent your head over a big bowl of steaming water. adding aromatics like lavender or eucalyptus makes it nicer.
    I actually read a lot about that, but never got around to trying it. I think I might try steaming with the oil of oregano I bought. Might help with the sinus congestion!

gdot is online now Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by tarek View Post
    @Lazarus, lots of good info in your post. I was thinking it might be bacterial because I developed some mild sinus congestion about week ago, which wasn't present for the first three weeks. And, like you mentioned, I get over most colds very quickly - last time I had one, I got over it in two days. But I also hadn't considered the possibility of a lingering immune response that you described.

Even if I'm prescribed antibiotics, I can be pretty stubborn, so they might sit on the shelf for a while before I actually take them, haha. I'll definitely try to get a culture test if I can. Thanks for your help!

Good suggestion, I was wondering about timing. Do you think kombucha, raw yogurt, etc. would be enough or should I look into probiotic supplements? Thanks!

I actually read a lot about that, but never got around to trying it. I think I might try steaming with the oil of oregano I bought. Might help with the sinus congestion!
    How's your energy level? Are you tired/exhausted? I so take action. If it's just a productive cough and sinus dripping but you feel fine - then you probably can continue to fight it if you wish.

When I was, young, extremely fit and healthy I went through two rounds of Bronchitis one each winter for two years. I took neither case very seriously and the second time, after persisting for more than six weeks the entire situation quickly degraded into an infection that took nearly two months to beat. It was a miserable experience and the first time in my life that I was TRULY sick.

Don't take this too lightly just because you are young and strong. Get thee to the doc, make sure he/she verifies for you that the issue is either bacterial, or it isn't, and if so - take your antibiotics.

I HATED the way erythromycin made me feel while I was taking it - but it was better than letting the problem linger. (Erythromycin is the most commonly prescribed antibiotic for Bronchitis.)

I'm just as opposed to the over use of antibiotics as anyone else - but let us not forget their value when needed.