Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Eating Healthy A "Mental Disorder" page

PoisonApple is offline Senior Member

Eating Healthy A "Mental Disorder"

Shop Now
    These people are insane.

http://www.naturalnews.com/029098_or..._disorder.html

(NaturalNews) In its never-ending attempt to fabricate "mental disorders" out of every human activity, the psychiatric industry is now pushing the most ridiculous disease they've invented yet: Healthy eating disorder.

This is no joke: If you focus on eating healthy foods, you're "mentally diseased" and probably need some sort of chemical treatment involving powerful psychotropic drugs. The Guardian newspaper reports, "Fixation with healthy eating can be sign of serious psychological disorder" and goes on to claim this "disease" is called orthorexia nervosa -- which is basically just Latin for "nervous about correct eating."

But they can't just called it "nervous healthy eating disorder" because that doesn't sound like they know what they're talking about. So they translate it into Latin where it sounds smart (even though it isn't). That's where most disease names come from: Doctors just describe the symptoms they see with a name like osteoporosis (which means "bones with holes in them").

Getting back to this fabricated "orthorexia" disease, the Guardian goes on to report, "Orthorexics commonly have rigid rules around eating. Refusing to touch sugar, salt, caffeine, alcohol, wheat, gluten, yeast, soya, corn and dairy foods is just the start of their diet restrictions. Any foods that have come into contact with pesticides, herbicides or contain artificial additives are also out."
    Proud Bangmaid since August 2009

fufonzo is offline Senior Member
    I think I'm getting this. Maybe work will let me take some disability leave.

Funkadelic Flash is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fufonzo View Post
    ...Maybe work will let me take some disability leave.
    LOL!

Hi, I'm Funkadelic Flash and I'm an orthorexic...

ETA: When you look at the wikipedia article, it makes a bit more sense. It's not just people who eat healthy, but those who eschew fat, raw vegans, etc. Basically, people who "think" they are doing something healthy, but in reality are hurting themselves and usually end up emaciated in the long run.
    Last edited by Funkadelic Flash; 06-29-2010 at 08:06 AM.

invino77 is offline Senior Member
    this study must have been funded by the bog corp food lobby.

PoisonApple is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by invino77 View Post
    this study must have been funded by the bog corp food lobby.
    That's what I'm thinking, because no study in the world will find healthy eating bad for you. Its how we evolved...
    Proud Bangmaid since August 2009

chia is offline Senior Member
    just another way for pharmaceuticals to market something to make money on... it's so pathetic its laughable...

Pessimist is offline Senior Member
    Well the journalist certainly lets his or her bias known.

However being obsessed and controlled by food/dieting/exercise is legitimate. This is just another form. If you start restricting and having panic attacks and breakdowns over your food because it doesn't fit into your ideals, you may need help-despite the tone of overly sensational journalism.
    The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being proven right or pleasantly surprised.

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member
    This is definitely a real disorder. I've met people that will completely panic, melt down, having a full on anxiety attack because they are terrified of xyz in their food. It's definitely not healthy to be frightened of food or obsessed with "health".

chia is offline Senior Member
    actually, you're all so right. It's one thing to do the best we can...but people that have ocd tendencies or full out disorders, can be teetering on the precipice of being overly fanatical. I see it often..... also those that tend to be perfectionists can quickly cross the line.

Katie82 is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by lil_earthmomma View Post
    This is definitely a real disorder. I've met people that will completely panic, melt down, having a full on anxiety attack because they are terrified of xyz in their food. It's definitely not healthy to be frightened of food or obsessed with "health".
    +1
    I've been there during my vegetarian and low fat days. I was almost paranoid about what was in my food. Not fun. Thankfully not anymore, the PB completely takes the fear away from eating for me.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast