Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will a primal diet REALLY prevent cancer? How? page

banananutmuffin is offline Senior Member

Will a primal diet REALLY prevent cancer? How?

Shop Now
    I know a young woman who is dying of a brain tumor. She has three kids--the youngest isn't even two years old yet. Her life could be mine in so many ways, and every time I think of her I weep at the idea that something similar could happen to me, and my kids might not even really remember me after I died.

I started living primal to lose weight, but read a lot about it, and believed it was the healthiest lifestyle, too. I remember reading things about how being in ketosis helped cancer to stop/shrink, because cancer cells fed on sugar. Not sure if that's accurate, I skim a lot of heavy science because I don't usually have time/quiet to concentrate when reading.

Do you believe a primal/paleo diet can prevent cancer? If so, how does it work? Is it simply because we eschew processed foods, and by eliminating toxins we're eliminating the majority of causes of cancer? Is it because cancer feeds on sugar, and many (though not all) paleo people eat a low-sugar diet? Is it because there are cancer-fighting properties in quality foods, and most primal eaters choose nutritious food?

I know this is not a one-size-fits-all question. I know there are a lot of variables at play here. I guess I'm just looking for answers to, perhaps, an unanswerable question...
    Female, 40 yrs old, 5', 120 lbs (post-pregnancy)
    Went Primal January 2, 2012!

Paleo Cooking for Cavekids cookbook

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Some cancers seem to respond to low-glucose environments, others don't. I'm sure someone knows more specifics.
    The Champagne of Beards

sketchy is offline Member

Elliot is online now Senior Member
    Polyunsaturated fat (especially arachidonic acid) tends to promote cancer while stearic acid and connective tissue tend to inhibit cancer. Primal diets tend to have more saturated fat, less polyunsaturated fat, and more connective tissue, so this should inhibit cancer.

Except for brain cancer, I don't buy the whole "ketosis fights cancer" idea. Even in ketosis, blood sugar is maintained.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    It's not so much ketosis is the answer (or even that ketosis is primal). It's that our current diet of processed foods, refined grains and seed oils is weakening, sickening and killing us from all fronts. A diet of real food keeps our bodies stronger, healthier and able to fight cancer cells that begin to form.

As far as curing a brain tumor, anything that keeps you stronger rather than weakening you can only help, but don't fool yourself. A brain tumor is serious business and changing your diet isn't going to be a miracle cure.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

GoJenGo is offline Senior Member
    I'm wondering the same thing while feeling quite confident that a diet consisting of whole, unprocessed foods as they are found in nature will only better our attempt at prevention as well as boost our overall health and our body's ability to fight it if, in fact, we do find out we have it. I don't think it's just wishful thinking, either. Less poison = less cellular damage and the craziness that ensues. That's just my take on it, anyway.

I'm planning on going with a ketogenic approach (in addition to all kinds of other fun stuff) if I find myself dealing with it, and thankfully, the LC w.o.e agrees with my body more than anything else ever has.

I'm so very sorry about your friend and her poor babies, that is just heartbreaking. They will be in my prayers, as will you.
    Life is not a matter of having good cards, but of playing a poor hand well.

- Robert Louis Stevenson

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    We all actually get cancer all the time, and then our bodies take care of it right away. We are designed to naturally fight cancer, and properly nourished bodies will have the easiest time of it.

There is nothing cancer-promoting about eating actual food. Especially when you are wise and make it a point to regularly meet or exceed all the currently known micronutrients. If you are actually eating your eggs, berries, fruit, veggies and quality meats and the like, then your cells will have all the building blocks to crush that cancer the day it starts, and you'll never even know it happened!

Of course, there are people genetically predisposed, and they ought to focus all the more on these real food ways of eating.

If I got detectable tumors today, they might be from the years I spent in the paint shop four years ago, from all the other weird chemicals my body has absorbed over the years - the factors are too many to count. By all means, I should have cancer by now based on all the really weird chemicals my skin has absorbed and the years I spent wandering homeless in the sunlight eating fast food and sporting a non-stop red sunburn that just peeled all day every day. Or the special "zero contact with human skin EVER" chemicals that I have had contact with repeatedly. It's all a roll of the dice.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

TQP
    TQP is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    We all actually get cancer all the time, and then our bodies take care of it right away. We are designed to naturally fight cancer, and properly nourished bodies will have the easiest time of it.

There is nothing cancer-promoting about eating actual food. Especially when you are wise and make it a point to regularly meet or exceed all the currently known micronutrients. If you are actually eating your eggs, berries, fruit, veggies and quality meats and the like, then your cells will have all the building blocks to crush that cancer the day it starts, and you'll never even know it happened!

Of course, there are people genetically predisposed, and they ought to focus all the more on these real food ways of eating.

If I got detectable tumors today, they might be from the years I spent in the paint shop four years ago, from all the other weird chemicals my body has absorbed over the years - the factors are too many to count. By all means, I should have cancer by now based on all the really weird chemicals my skin has absorbed and the years I spent wandering homeless in the sunlight eating fast food and sporting a non-stop red sunburn that just peeled all day every day. Or the special "zero contact with human skin EVER" chemicals that I have had contact with repeatedly. It's all a roll of the dice.
    Yup. The whole ketosis fights cancer stuff is just not true. There are also n=1 stories of veganism curing diseases...but at the end of the day, it's pretty much all BS.
    JOURNAL.

Gelatin/bone broth recipes blog. (Latest recipe: Popsicles!)

Professional Style Website. (Latest features: How to Remix a Pant Suit; Courtney, Fashion Editor)

"A sense of humour and a little lack of respect: that's what you need to make a legend survive."- Karl Lagerfeld

banananutmuffin is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the thoughts. I understand that, well, there's no SINGLE direct cause of cancer. If only it were that simple.

I guess I've been wrestling with this a lot lately. Another friend of mine who has spent her adult life trying to eat right and feed her kids right has recently thrown up her hands and basically said, "Whatever." She knows people who are athletes and "healthy" eaters (based on CW), and now they're being diagnosed with various health conditions. She's like, "Why try when it's all a craps shoot?"

I guess some of it is my age. I'm turning 40 in a week (!!!!!), and all my friends are around my age, and so I guess I'm going to start seeing a lot more of us get sick or weaker or whatever as time goes on. We're at an age where cancer is still uncommon, but not unheard of. (My Dad is 73 and is always sadly talking about how his friends are dying off).

I sometimes think that trying to get proper nutrition is a little like trying to control something that is uncontrollable. Futile, but gives us a feeling of power.

Then there are other times I live by the philosophy: Life's a craps shoot. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't play the odds.

Anyway, thanks for letting me ramble. I know there aren't any answers really. I'm just looking for thoughts and ideas.
    Female, 40 yrs old, 5', 120 lbs (post-pregnancy)
    Went Primal January 2, 2012!

Paleo Cooking for Cavekids cookbook

vh67 is offline Senior Member
    My advice to anyone searching for answers about cancer and nutrition is to do your own research. I used this site as the starting point but most of the cancer threads here just devolve into major sh!tfests. Different kinds of cancers are different. When you research focus on the type of cancer you are interested in knowing about. There are great forums for specific types of cancers that are moderated by people who actually know something about the type of cancer involved. I found those to be far more helpful getting information. But here I have gotten wonderful emotional support.

From what I have read, cancer and nutrition research is still in its infancy. To make definitive statements one way or the other is premature. Everyone needs to do their own research and make their own decisions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast