Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hungry in the morning? page

sibylsybil is offline Senior Member

Hungry in the morning?

Shop Now
    Hail, fellow bacon-eaters! I seek your aid!

I've been primal for 3 weeks now, and wake up hungry nearly every morning, even though I feel satiated when I go to sleep. it's frustrating because I go the the gym right after waking, and don't want to hear my stomach complain about how it wants food while I'm working out!
    basic background: I've been eating 20-35g of carbs a day, 50-70% fat, and 1,400-1,500 calories. My journal is in my signature, and it shows the specific foods that I'm eating.

I'm a 20-year old female, 5'6'', started at 130lbs and the scale now says 126, but I assume that's mostly water weight. I still drink a can or two of diet coke a day, but that's my only "cheat". My exercise is 1-3 miles of walking, 30 mins of elliptical 3-5x a week, and a short kettlebell workout 2-3x a week.

I feel great most of the time, but when I wake up, RAWRRRR! I feel like a bear coming out of hibernation! What can I do to tame the beast?
    Life consists with wildness. The most alive is the wildest. (Thoreau)

Fatkid is offline Senior Member
    This may sound a little obvious...but when I wake up hungry I usually eat something... that seems to help.

hah. well, yes, that would be the ideal solution, but I go to the gym directly after waking up, and I'd rather not share my stomach contents with the rest of the gym, either, if you know what I mean. and unfortunately, because of my work schedule, I can't really go to the gym at any other time.
    Life consists with wildness. The most alive is the wildest. (Thoreau)

Jedi is offline Member
    what are your goals? 125-130 is a VERY HEALTHY weight for 5'6 female unless you have very little muscle mass.

Jadebb1 is offline Senior Member
    Im new here, too, and this may be the blind leading the blind......but with myself what I have recently discovered is if I flip/flop my cardio ratio to weight training this diet seems to make me less hungry (I think it might be a cortisol thing). I am doing much more HEAVY lifting and less cardio (it was a challenge for me, as I used to run 5 miles every day) - Now I am running one day a week (to prove that I still can) - I'm calling it a "fun day"). When my cardio frequency creeps up, I find myself STARVING. Even the slow stuff.

For the first time in my life I am putting on muscle tone!!!!

Hope this helps.....

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi View Post
    what are your goals? 125-130 is a VERY HEALTHY weight for 5'6 female unless you have very little muscle mass.
    well, I'm at about 23% bodyfat--at least according to various online calculators using tape-measures-- so I'd like to get to 20% or so, but I don't know if that's a reasonable goal--I'm pretty new to this.

chia is offline Senior Member
    have a spoonfu of coconut oil. that will diminish the hunger pangs and give you great energy for your workout. easy! watch all of that cardio.... instead you should maybe substitute a circuit of lunges, pushups and pullups (assisted). keeps your heart rate up and down...works your whole body including the core.

Egoldstein is offline Senior Member
    At your height/weight, I think aiming for 20% BF by gaining strength and muscle would be good, rather than trying to drive the scale down, and carbs are already quite low. I agree with the above posters, increase strength training (intensity not time) and decrease cardio.

Pessimist is offline Senior Member
    What I do is either make myself a cup of coffee (I find it is a great appetite suppressant) or grab a handful of nuts before heading out. Something small just to shut the stomach up
    The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being proven right or pleasantly surprised.

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I think your body gets used to what ever you make a habit of. These days, I'm into daily IFing and I don't eat until the evenings. I'm not used to having breakfast, lunch, or snacks anymore. I do drink the hell out of green tea all day though.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast