Thread: Modified Xero sandals page

sbhikes is offline Senior Member

Modified Xero sandals

Primal Fuel
    Thought I would post this since someone recently said their Xero sandals broke and also because long time ago, DIY barefoot sandal projects were a feature of paleo.

I recently bought some Xero ready-to-wear sandals. I simply just do not like the Tarahumara-style with the thing between the toes. Also, apparently they had some kind of manufacturing problem early on and my pair broke. So I also fixed the part that broke. The fact that they broke turned out to be a great opportunity for a DIY project since there was no fear I would ruin them. The end result is way more comfortable than the original sandal.

modified xero sandals - Imgur
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

lotusberries is offline Senior Member
    That's great! I've wanted to buy some Xero sandals for a while now but I've hated every pair of sandals that I've owned that have had that strap between the toes. Those look really comfy.

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    I thought I was the only one who didn't like sandals with the strap between the toes. I just started wearing my xeros and I was hoping that I'd eventually get used to it. Thanks for the tutorial, if I can't get used to the strap I'll know what to do.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

I actually wore them hiking today. The bottom of my feet are a little sore, but otherwise they worked fine. If I didn't have so many homemade sandal projects lying around, I might get some of their DIY kits and make even more sandals. It's kinda fun.

M!chael is online now Member
    It were mine that broke :-(

They sent some replacements which l hiked 14 miles in last week end, feet were sore (but not blistered) Plan is to do a 6 mile walk on Friday, then maybe try another long one the following week. I think they will be great when my feet get used to them and toughen up a bit. The thing between the toes doesn't bother me and I'm not into DIY projects. The new ones are a size smaller which helped keep them tight.

Michael
    Last edited by M!chael; 04-15-2014 at 11:57 PM.

Wow, that's a long hike to do for your first time wearing them! I wore mine for about a 7 mile hike and the bottoms of my feet were pretty sore from rubbing against the rubber, almost like a blister was almost there, and between the toes on one foot was a little tender. I wore socks, too.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Here's my old DIY ones. They are actually more comfortable than the ready-made ones. The key to making these wearable for me is to get the pressure off between the toes, but keep it there so that you don't trip over the front flap of the sole.