Thread: Vappid's log - stardate -309274.96 page

Vappid is offline Junior Member

Wink Vappid's log - stardate -309274.96

Shop Now
    Greetings!

Today is Day 6 of my rebirth into a primal lifestyle. I figured I would start keeping this Journal here so that you guys can yell at me when I do something wrong, and tell me how wonderful I am when I do something right. That’s how it works right? In all seriousness though, I’m going to keep this journal so that I can reflect back if I have any tough moments so that I can review how far I have come. I am going to repeat much of what I said in my intro post in the other forum here so that the first post in my journal has some background.

I'm a 34 year old man, I like long walks on the beach. I'm a brand spanking new beginner, my first day of primal was Saturday 4/5/2014. I have managed to cut all grains and grain products from my diet. The first trip to the grocery store on Sunday 4/6 was eye opening.

Over the past 20 years I have noticed a complete change in my behavior and personality. When I was young, I ate fruit, veggies, and meat, and had no sweet tooth at all. I had never tasted fast food or store bought sweets until I was around 13, this is just the way my mother did everything, she wasn't necessarily trying to be health conscious.

I was in the Military from 1997-2001. This is where I learned my love of beer. Since then I have been drinking beer FAR too often. I have come to the unscientific conclusion that I am addicted to starchy carbs, which make me want to drink beer, and vice versa. On days I eat bread of any kind, My blood sugar drops, it makes me want beer, I go home and binge drink, which leads me to the hangover and subsequent carb loading the next day. I have been reading all over the place and have come to the conclusion that carbs just don't work well for me. To be clear, it's not just carbs that make me drink, but it's a trigger.

I spent some time experimenting with my triggers to discover this. Once I did, I started practicing my google-fu to see if other people like me are out there. I really didn't know anything about primal prior to last week. I am going to bust my butt to give it a month and reevaluate how I feel.

Right now I am 5'9 and about 240 pounds. I carry it fairly well as I have lifted many heavy things in my day, but it's still too much weight. All of the years of beer haven't been good for me.
    Right now I’m on day 6 and feeling great! When I went shopping on Saturday I bought a bunch of healthy primal foods and have been eating them all week (Eggs, Chicken, Veggies, Etc). Halfway through the week I started adding up what I had been eating and was startled to see I was averaging around 1400 calories per day and hadn’t really had any cravings. I intervened on my own behalf yesterday and bought some grass fed beef and made a couple of burgers to up the content. Next weeks shopping will be different. I wasn’t eating enough calories or fat. I bought some ketosticks and this morning was the first day I had moved up from “trace” to moderate.

I made some bulletproof coffee this AM using 2 Tbsp. of grass fed butter and 1 Tbsp. of MCT oil. So far I feel great, no digestive issues, tomorrow I may bump up to 2 Tbsp. MCT oil. I didn’t eat this AM but I brought a serving of almonds with me in case I start losing my mind prior to lunch at noon.

Next week I’m going to start the weight program again, the following week my goal is to start the cardio. I can already tell I’ve lost weight (water), I’m looking forward to continuing this. I’ve decided I’m not going to weigh myself, I’m going to do this strictly by how I feel/look. I figure a scale will treat this too much like a diet and a little less like a habit.

Looking forward to the weekend so I can try some steak or a burger with the guac-deviled eggs recipe I picked up here!

TLDR: Hi! Welcome to my head

Vappid is offline Junior Member
    Entry #2

This weeks summary:
    It was 80 degrees, and then that night it was 30. If you don't like the weather in Virginia, wait an hour.

Saturday will make it two weeks since I started doing the Primal thing. I feel great and didn't have any Low-Carb Flu or anything of the sort. I started lifting again on Monday, doing a 3x5 routine. I have been lifting weights off and on for 3-5 years, but have always done legpress in the place of Squats, I was missing out! I have body parts that are sore that I didn't know existed. I also never did Power Cleans or Deadlifts, now I am all over it!

So far I can tell that my pants are loosening up, and I feel better in general. I have managed to up my calories a bit using snacks, but I have yet to really be extremely hungry. This morning I had a BP coffee with MCT Oil and Kerrygold Butter. It's now 1030, and I'm not hungry, so it's gotta be a good thing. I brought some (24) unroasted unsalted almonds just in case I needed to break glass for a hunger emergency.

I have decided that I am going to do weight measurements this weekend as well as take some "before" pictures. I'm guessing I've lost 10 pounds, but I have no proof of that except for my clothes. I know it's water weight, but it makes me happy anyway, so don't rain on my parade.

I went to the Doctor on the day of my first post to get Chantix to help me quit smoking. My quit date is next week and I cant wait! I spoke to the doctor about my plan for nutrition. She was supportive and seemed excited for me. I explained to her that I thought I had issues with regulating my blood sugar, and that I was moving in the primal direction. She wanted me to check back in three months about the diet and smoking, to make sure all is well. We got into a conversation about the food pyramid/recommendations and she agreed with everything I was saying about the Primal lifestyle. It was exciting to get that support from a doctor. I'm probably going to do some sprints/HIIT this weekend in between riding my motorcycle and hanging with family. My boyfriendly duties have dictated that I'm going to the circus Sunday, not too enthusiastic about it.

My ratios for the day are 58% fat, 43% protein, 13% carb. This includes my almond snack, which I'm not sure I will need.

TLDR: Still rockin'

bullymama is online now Member
    Hey Vappid, I'm new to Primal also...started two weeks ago. Sounds like you are doing really well! I'm also a smoker, though not a heavy one...like 4-5 cigs/day on average, but still...
    My quit date is on Good Friday...yikes, that's tomorrow already! I wanted to wish you well with your goal to stop the smoking and keep up the great work!

PrimalCon New York
    Wow, so many changes at once! It sounds like you're taking it in stride

Good luck on everything, especially the smoking...it can be tough, but I quit 18 years ago (after many attempts), and if I can do it, anyone can!
    "Beginning today, treat everyone you meet as if they were going to be dead by midnight. Extend to them all the care, kindness and understanding you can muster, and do it with no thought of any reward. Your life will never be the same again." - Og Mandino

"But I always think that the best way to know God is to love many things." - Vincent Van Gogh

Female, 43 Years Old, Height 5'2"
    SW 213.2, CW 201.8
    Started PB on 3/25/14...11.4 lbs lost in 3 weeks