Thread: What are some of the best/fattiest fish? That also make good almond flour fish stix page

robss is offline Senior Member

What are some of the best/fattiest fish? That also make good almond flour fish stix

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    My go-to fish was usually talapia because it makes amazing almond flour fish sticks and goes so well with tartar sauce, but i found out that it's not a very fatty/omega 3 rich fish. What are some types of fish that are fatty and make good fish sticks/go well with tartar sauce?

Grol is offline Senior Member
    Salmon, sardines, herring, anchovies, tuna are a few with very high omega 3 fats. None of them seem like good fish stick material to me. Tilapia is a trash fish though. I quit eating it too. Halibut is pretty expensive compared to Tilapia, but it's great. Cod is my typical fryer, but it isn't super fatty; way better than Tilapia though. It is the great British fish and chips fish and I go through a couple pounds a month. Pollock is real affordable if available where you are and a better source of 03 than cod. There's a few species of rock fish that are super tasty and far better than Tilapia. Really, just about anything is better. Super fatty and fish sticks? You're going to have to find what's best in your area.

Bostonbully is offline Senior Member
    I always go with cod or haddock when making fish sticks but like Grol said they aren't fatty fish. Pop a fish oil pill and make some cod fish sticks.

Rosegin is offline Senior Member
    How do you make these fish sticks? Do you bake or fry them?
    ~Sandy

strom is offline Senior Member

Grol is offline Senior Member
    Well, they live in and eat sewage where they're farmed. Farmers keep them down stream from catfish and prawns because they consume the waste. That's a trash fish. They're omega 3/6 ratio is about the same as bacon (not good, the worst market fish). I was eating a ton of it too. Nice taste, nice price, not worth it to me. I am trying to eat as clean as I can. My fish consumption is hopefully balancing my 03 ratio. Tilapia does not help. There are some excellent American tilapia farmers, but please to avoid the Chinese and South American farmed Tilapia.

nickh is offline Junior Member
    I live in Toronto. Every fish monger whom I've asked has said that all tilapia is farmed these days. I avoid farmed fish because of the potential antibiotics and other unnatural additives that are in farmed fish food.

I wasn't aware of what Grol said: that tilapia are kept downstream from other seafood, and eat their waste.

vivilee is offline Member
    Is Basa fish OK? I heard they are raised like cat fish. I can't find a source that tells me the O3 content.

tamo42 is offline Senior Member
    More specifically, tilapia eat the algae and other microorganisms that feed on the waste of the upstream fish. Dunno if that helps you at all though .

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    As a general rule, any fish that lives in *cold* water is going to have fattier tissues - simply to stop itself freezing solid
    Hence mackerel, herring, salmon.....

Tropical fish on the other hand...meh.

What about local river fish? Maybe not so oily but "free range" and cleaner perhaps?