Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: minimalist shoes page 2

zoebird is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I'm always looking for longevity in my footwear.

I can buy ballet flats, and within 3 months -- whether I spend $30 or $300 (and I have) -- I have walked through the ballet flats. I just wear my shoes really hard.

So, I've basically given up on ballet flats. I've given up on vibrams (the classics are done in 6-9 months, usually). I'm really looking for something that I can beat up on, but that doesn't look like a "clunker" or "sporty" shoe. But, it also needs to be cute/chic, and that's a tough order.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I think that Merrel has a line of cute ladies casual shoes that are fairly flat and minimal (especially if you take out the padded insole that is inside.) I have found that they are pretty well-built. Might last you longer.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    if you spend $30 on shoes that last 6 months, that is $5 a month...
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Sonora is offline Member
    In my own little world - but that's OK, they know me here
    Quote Originally Posted by Ariel C. McGlothin View Post
    I've wanted to try RunAmoc's but haven't bought a pair yet. I have made several mocs myself though. They are cheep and pretty easy if you like doing things with your hands.
    Is it possible for you to tell how you make the mocs? Or steer me to a website with directions that are good? I would appreciate it a lot.
    I want to make some footwear for myself, but although I have leather and am good with my hands I do not know how to do it. I love the Lems and would get those, but cannot afford $100 for a pair of shoes!

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    You could try this. simpleshoemaking by simpleshoemaking on Etsy

I found her instructions in her book Crafting Handmade Shoes to be very difficult to follow. But I was able to figure some of her patterns out and have made lots of shoes and sandals. I think if you start with How to Make the Simplest Sandals you can figure out shoes. I started with her instructions for fisherman sandals and have found the "Tuscan sandals" to be the most comfortable sandals I've ever made or worn.

How to Make the Simplest Sandals for Everyone by simpleshoemaking
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

Ariel C. McGlothin is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonora View Post
    Is it possible for you to tell how you make the mocs? Or steer me to a website with directions that are good? I would appreciate it a lot.
    I want to make some footwear for myself, but although I have leather and am good with my hands I do not know how to do it. I love the Lems and would get those, but cannot afford $100 for a pair of shoes!
    I bought some cheep scrap leather from a retailer on Amazon, a roll of sinew, and a cheep leather punch.

Amazon.com: Leather Factory Braided Sinew 4mm 20 Yard Spool-Natural: Home & Kitchen

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The materials cost me about $40 total, and the punch was about another $10. I was able to make two pairs of shoes (4 shoes total) with this, have some leather left, lots of sinew, and have the punch left for future projects. If you already have the leather, making some should be really cheep for you. Oh, and you need a sturdy large needle, I already had some on hand from other sewing projects.

I found a few different websites with directions but didn't really follow any of them. I made two different styles for my two pairs, but I'll explain the easier one which I also like wearing better. I didn't follow this (just found it now actually) but these are very much like mine: Of Dreams and Seams: Making Moccasins! With full How-To...

I did not do the fabric lining, the fringe on the front, or the hard soles. I also just used some shoe goo to attach my "insole" piece of leather instead of stitching it down. Mine are super flexible, but I like them that way. They are just enough to keep little sharp things from sticking into my foot if I'm walking somewhere less than clean, and they look like shoes if you are supposed to be wearing shoes somewhere. But all I have is a thin layer of leather under my foot so it really feels pretty close to being barefoot.

If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask.
    ~Ariel

http://arielcsblog.blogspot.com/

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." - Thomas Paine

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12