Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Falling Apart at 26! page

IHeartJuicing is offline Junior Member

Falling Apart at 26!

Primal Fuel
    Hey all, this is my first post besides my intro but I am so fed up with my body right now. I could really use some advice to improve how I eat. I will go a few days low carb then it all just goes downhill. I will eat a little bit of wheat or something because I am scared of causing a reaction to it if I go without for too long. Then I will think hey, I feel fine, I can eat all the wheat/carbs I want. This phase has been going on for a couple days now and I feel like I hit a wall.
    Currently I wake up at 2 am and work until around noon. Work is on my feet in 35 degree temperatures, so I am always sore and freezing. I eat tons of snacks at work but I always have a deep hunger pit in my stomach. Snacks are usually fruit or protein bars, sometimes vegetables. It's hard eating a leftover dinner so early! I also recently bought a gym membership and sessions with a trainer and even though I bring my bag with me, I rarely find myself going.
    I tried to give up coffee because I want to start trying for a baby in the near future, but that was miserable. I now find myself drinking coffee at home in the mornings and getting a sweet Starbucks drink on my way home. It's like my body is dying for sugar. I had to leave the gym today because I got that deep hunger feeling along with some lightheadedness. I ended up scarfing down a box of Dots which I now regret. Is this possibly hypoglycemia?
    I also have had acne issues for the past couple years that really irritate me. I have been trying to treat it with Estroblock but I wonder if it is a blood sugar or digestion problem as well? I know I need to get my diet under control but it is so hard. Even if I eat a healthy meal I find myself not satisfied until I have something from the drive through. I also have pretty regular heartburn and ALWAYS feel like I have to fart. (TMI I know!) I am at a healthy weight and I need to get the rest of myself in gear. Any advice would be much appreciated!

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like not doing Primal isn't working out so great for you. Maybe you should give it a try. Eat real meals, ditch the snacks, eat some fat, and let the wheat go. Good luck.
    The Champagne of Beards

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Sounds like not doing Primal isn't working out so great for you. Maybe you should give it a try. Eat real meals, ditch the snacks, eat some fat, and let the wheat go. Good luck.
    Yup. Try primal....as written. 30-60 days. Then report back.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 04-10-2014 at 01:44 PM.

Will do!

kathleen is offline Senior Member
    Ditch the wheat. It was the best decision I ever made.

Add: Animal products. Eggs and bacon for breakfast. Seriously. It will keep you full for hours! No need to snack.

Also give your body a few weeks to adjust. You will be hungry at first but eventually will transition into a more bearable hunger that goes away if you ignore it. Drinking a lot of water helps, too.

No snacks. If you must, snack on jerky.
    Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
    Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
    Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
    F/23/5'9"

26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

kiwisk8girl is offline Junior Member
    Hi,

I had the same issue when I first started. I was fine for the first day or two and then got SUPER hungry. I caved the first couple times and then found out what worked for me. EAT. I filled my fridge and pantry with lots of real food and every time I was hungry I ate - If I couldn't cook then; cold boiled eggs and Mayo, fruit, veggie sticks with pesto, nuts, jerky. If I could cook then; Any sort of meat, veggies cooked in butter, scrambled eggs, steamed mussels - anything primal really.

The important thing was eating lots of real food. After about 3 days of feeling like I was stuffing myself stupid the hunger went away and I only felt like 2 meals a day (for me mostly breakfast and lunch). I think that it was my body needing the nutrients and switching from carb burning to fat burning. I've been eating primal for the last 6 months (so just a short time really) and I still go through the odd couple days here and there where I just need to eat a lot, but there are other days where I am not hungry at all.

I know it can be hard to fit meals around weird work schedules, but I recommend packing your bag with lots of primal snacks and working out some cook at home meals that you REALLY love so that on your drive home you're so focussed on looking forward to eating your curry, ragout (insert favourite primal foods here) that you fly past the starbucks.

Anyway, that's what worked for me. I hope it helps :-)

Wildrose is offline Senior Member
    Everyone else has said most of what I would say. I'd just add one thing, don't try to get off coffee while you're getting off wheat. Coffee isn't horrible for you anyway, as long as you're not drinking a whole pot. Make your own and don't get the Starbucks sweet stuff. Or just get the Starbucks unsweet stuff...

kathleen is offline Senior Member
    I still drink coffee...black. It takes a while to acquire a taste for plain coffee, but actually it's really refreshing thrown over ice. It's easy to transition by adding just milk (no sweetener) to the coffee. I find full fat milk to be sweet enough on its own.
    Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
    Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
    Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
    F/23/5'9"

26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

Thanks guys! I didn't even realize about the no snacking. If I have regular plain coffee with me I am okay but as soon as I see the Starbucks I start dreaming of those good drinks. I will work on it and see if all this craziness passes

jenna is offline Member
    PrimalCon New York
    You sound like me back when I started. I used to hit Starbucks everyday after work. Yes, they knew me on sight. Avoid Starbucks like the plague. It is a huge trigger for me and it sounds like for you as well. Next, read the book, do exactly what it says for at least 30 days. Don't cheat. You aren't going to develop a sudden wheat allergy just by eliminating it for x number of days. If you react to it after the 30 day run it means you ALWAYS had a problem with it and it was just quietly killing you instead of an immediate reaction that had you running to the bathroom.You can do this. If you're hungry, eat. If you're bored eat something new. Make sure your meals are large enough and that will help kill the snacking. You can do this. It's not magic, most people on this forum have gone through something similar when starting out. The only thing I would say about the forum is that there are people on here who have been experimenting on themselves for a long time, they don't eat strictly primal. That is fine for them, they already tried out the strict primal and have tweaked for their specific bodies. You don't get to do that yet, so ignore the tweaking advice until after you've done at least 30 days by the book. Good luck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast