Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: grassfed beef prices in New Jersey? page

JimA2985 is offline Member

Cool grassfed beef prices in New Jersey?

Shop Now
    Hey all,

I'm just trying to figure out what a fair price to pay for grassfed beef is. I'm in central New Jersey, and it looks like it varies a lot. There's a local farmer near me that sells it for $18 a lb (way out of my price range). It looks like Stop and Shop's "Nature's Promise" brand is much closer to regular grain fed prices, but I'm not sure if that's actually completely grass fed or not.

So my question is: Is there anyone from my area that can tell me what price-range I should be looking for? I'm willing to shop around and do some research, but shopping for decent meat is still relatively new for me so I won't even know if I'm getting gouged or not.

Thanks!

Jim

marktripp is offline Senior Member
    Wow, I'm glad I don't ;ive in jersey. I can get grass fed organic beef in maine for 2.09-2.75lb hanging weight. The 2.09 yeilds about 50% and the 2.75 yeilds about 60-72%. I'm not sure what it is if I just wanted to walk in and buy 1 steak.

JimA2985 is offline Member
    Lol, thanks... but that's why I'm asking! The one local farmer I've been too so far is the $18/lb guy. But frankly, he's right outside of Princeton, which is an expensive area, so I think that might have more to do with property taxes than with the actual cost of the meat.

tac99us is offline Member
    I'm in Philly suburbs. Direct from farm I get a quarter grass-fed steer share, the cost comes out to approximately $300. Half the meat is ground beef the rest is roasts and steaks. It works out to average approximately $3.00lb.

you should be able to do better then $18/lb . try http://www.eatwild.com/products/index.html

EReardo1 is offline Junior Member
    I'm from central jersey too- everything seems to be more expensive here, especially anything organic. your probably better just ordering your meat online.

AntonG is offline Senior Member
    I work in princeton and go to the whole foods here on my way home from work. Obviously you cant get half a cow for real cheap or anything but they have good cuts. grass fed sirloin is a little much at like 9.99 but if you get sirloin TIP its 6.99 lb. also my new favorite: grass fed ground beef. they charge 6.99 lb and its basically mostly chuck and other trimmings ground up there at the store. not like conventional ground beef which is carcasses ground up all together. thats where ive been going and so far so good.

Pessimist is offline Senior Member
    I feel your pain. I have three organic butchers near me and the lower end beef in all of them is $18 a pound. I can't afford that very often. It *is* super yummy though!
    The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being proven right or pleasantly surprised.

stevew2023 is offline Junior Member
    I'm in South Jersey and I'm finding prices are around $15 lb regardless if it's from a farm or Whole Foods. I have not priced in bulk yet. Anyone in the area want to Cowpool???
    Steve

Wanderer is offline Junior Member
    My local farm is cheaper but still expensive compared to supermarket grain fed meat/chicken (which I don't ever buy or eat....haven't in a long time). What would concern me about any so called grass fed meat purchased in a market or by a brand name is that the laws are very loose on what you are allowed to call grass fed and free range. Some are grain finished and others may spend limited time eating grass but sill allowed by law to be called grass fed.

My local farm charges $9 per pound for chicken which I find expensive compared to the 5 lbs I used to get for a similar price, of Purdue or other crap chickens. I just bought ground beef at the same farm (grass fed and finished) for $5 per pound. That is a big mark up compared to the dollar and some change per pound in the supermarket (grain fed). Granted my farm meat/chicken is cheaper than the Jersey stuff it seems. I'm in PA

Katie82 is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    The lowest I've seen it here in CT is 6.00/lb for ground beef and stew beef but 18.00/lb + for steaks or anything else. It's expensive. I buy Natures Promise brand a lot, it's not grass fed or even organic but they don't use hormones or antibiotics. That's the only difference but still worth it because the price is almost the same as conventional and in my store is always on sale so it's actually cheaper. There's nothing wrong with that. Funny, I see Grass fed ground beef in my local whole foods all the time and they say it's "local" but it's from NJ! and it's 7.99/lb so you should be able to get it atleast that cheap in the actual state of NJ

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast