Thread: Hawaiian Purple Sweet Potatoes: Where Can I Buy? page

kathleen is offline Senior Member

Hawaiian Purple Sweet Potatoes: Where Can I Buy?

Primal Fuel
    Last year I was visiting Hawaii (Oʻahu) and they had these super delicious sweet potatoes in the hot case at Whole Foods. I ate these things like every day, no kidding. They are so delicious, so sweet (I know, bad). I'd love to get my hands on these again!

I have intentionally purchased purple potatoes here on the mainland trying to find these, but they are so-not-sweet. They are not the same kind, at all. I have checked Whole Foods around here too, and they don't seem to carry the same stock. I think these purple potatoes are local to Hawaii.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about? More importantly, where can I buy these? Online or otherwise (I am in the Seattle, WA area).
    Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
    Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
    Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
    F/23/5'9"

26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

eats.meats.west is offline Senior Member
    Uwajimaya in Beaverton OR has them so I assume the Seattle store does as well. Maybe not what you are looking for, but too me that are so sweet when slow baked I can barely finish one.

edit - The actual purple ones with the purple skin were available here in Portland around Thanksgiving time and then faded away by January or so. They were sweet but not as sweet as the Okinawa SP. Got them at several different stores.
    Last edited by eats.meats.west; 04-09-2014 at 10:50 PM.

bilbo2 is offline Member
    I got some at the Seattle Uwajimaya a couple of years ago (have not been back there since). Seemed kind of dry and starchy as I recall. Think they were called Japanese or Okinawan purple sweet potatoes--actually the traditional Okinawan diet is well-known to have included the purple sweet potato as a mainstay. Uwajimaya had several varieties of different sweet potatoes. I need to go there and see if they carry natto!

kathleen is offline Senior Member
    Uwajimaya! I should have thought of that, there's one right on my way home from work!

Thanks! I will have to check it out one of these days. I think they would go well as a dessert to appease my non-primal friends.
    Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
    Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
    Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
    F/23/5'9"

26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

Jules_ is offline Junior Member
    I buy them at our local asian market. They have 4 different kinds.

bullymama is offline Junior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Funny, i'm eating one of these right now for lunch! Got mine at 99 Ranch Market but not sure if you have that in your area? it's a fairly large Chinese chain grocery store.