Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Coyote hunting page

Stacy15 is offline Senior Member

Coyote hunting

I was invited to hunt coyote. Not sure how I feel about it. I have never hunted anything that I didn't plan to eat. I don't hunt for the sport of it.

On the other hand, coyotes are a big problem. They kill livestock and pets. People want them gone. As does the person that invited me to his land (an older fellow who has a harder time getting out to do it). Because he does have problems with them, I am helping him out (not to say we will even get any).

Does this make the hunt ok? To do it or not....

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    It's fine.

Back home, coyotes are a problem in some areas, but nothing like feral hogs. Whenever I'm back in town, people I know who have big ranches practically beg us to go slaughter as many hogs as possible. They destroy land, kill livestock...bad all around. We usually keep some meat from the best ones, but have no problem leaving the carcasses of the rest out for scavengers.

Hunting a nuisance or invasive species in order to preserve a habitat is a whole different ballgame than food hunting. Different mindsets, for me.

Sent via lightsaber

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    It's fine.

Back home, coyotes are a problem in some areas, but nothing like feral hogs. Whenever I'm back in town, people I know who have big ranches practically beg us to go slaughter as many hogs as possible. They destroy land, kill livestock...bad all around. We usually keep some meat from the best ones, but have no problem leaving the carcasses of the rest out for scavengers.

Hunting a nuisance or invasive species in order to preserve a habitat is a whole different ballgame than food hunting. Different mindsets, for me.

Sent via lightsaber
    True. Guess I need to get in mindset they are a nuisance. Unless I see pups...then I would just be a big ball of mush! Hoping for no pups!!

Also, you can totally eat coyote.

Sent via lightsaber

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    Also, you can totally eat coyote.

Sent via lightsaber
    Never met a meat I didn't like. Does it taste like chicken?

I dunno; I haven't had it personally. It's a good idea to freeze it for a certain amount of time. I remember reading about it on some wild game website or something a while back. Supposedly it's tasty. If you go, eat some and let me know what you think.

Sent via lightsaber

TheyCallMeLazarus is offline Senior Member
    I am pretty split on hunting them for territory, which is what that really entails. Coyotes can kill cows, deer, and they commonly kill house dogs....but in most of the country they are not invasive. Unlike a feral hog, which is only there because Europeans brought pigs a few hundred years ago, a coyote was on all of our land a long time before we were. In many places they were only displaced by wolves, which make coyotes look like choir children.

In my state, there is an initiative to re-introduce wolves. My brother now lives in Montana, where I spend about one weekend a month, and I have seen what wolves around can do. Take a coyote, then add 50 pounds, more intelligence, better pack cooperation. They are worthy of a lot of respect.

I think that it is up to a rancher to keep them out as best they can through fencing, or do what they used to do and have sheepdogs out there to protect them. My neighbor has over 100 sheep on his property, and his 5 sheepdogs have meant zero predator deaths in the past 5 years....and this is a place with bears, coyotes, cougars, with property bordering a forest.

I understand the economic need to not have your cattle die. I just also think that it is incredibly arrogant to spread your cattle out over 100 acres, no real fencing outside of cattle wire, nothing to watch over them, and then get all grouchy when one of them gets eaten by something other than a human. I would not really have a problem with hunting them if they are on the property, after you have sustained losses, but I would have a problem with venturing into backcountry in the rough vicinity of my land, just to kill them indiscriminately....a hog is different for me. Thank god we don't have them here. Thank you bears.
    "Man is born free.....but everywhere he is in chains."

That is my thing. Coyote are just looking for a meal, so are they really at fault for doing what they do. But then again, one of my animals gets taken I'm pissed and want them gone as well.

Actually thinking I might just scout them this weekend. Hear they are not the easiest to hunt anyway...so might not ever become an issue to shoot or not.

Mr. Anthony - if I ever do shoot one I'll be sure to send you a sample.

KV8R is offline Senior Member
    I'm a hunter and normally only hunt for food...except coyotes. I hunt those mangy bastards for the sport and challenge. They get into everything, cattle, pets...everything. They are very crafty and can be very difficult to hunt so if you're up for a challenge, id say do it. It's also a good form of excersize too, out walking and stalking quite a bit.

Markbt is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I work in an office in the middle of nowhere and see them fairly regularly. They were definitelly here before we were, so I'd hesitate to kill them just for fun. I understand farmers not wanting their animals to get killed, and I don't know enough about farming to suggest any better methods to prevent that. When you see a coyote or certain other large predators up close, you can tell there is a level of inteligence there that you don't see it other animals, which I think deserves at least some respect. You can tell why the natives had so many myths about them.

As for house pets, keep them away from the coyotes! I see all these fat, weak, grain fed people walking their fat, weak, inbred, rat sized, grain fed dogs through a field where I also see coyotes almost every day. They let the rat off the leash and let it run around, leaving its grain filled crap all along the trail. Sometimes this happens in early morning or evenings. If a coyote eats that thing, I just see it as nature taking its course.

I'd try the meat if it was offered to me, but it isn't something I'm going to seek out, as I haven't heard of any flavor of health benefits associated with it.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast