Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is low fat primal possible? page

Makoce is offline Senior Member

Is low fat primal possible?

I switched over to primal over a month ago. I use to eat very low fat high carb which led to binging and feeling hungry every hour with shakey blood sugar crashes. But I had very healthy stools.

Now on high fat low carb I'm very satisfied and can even go 24 hrs without being hungry.

But I think the high fat is giving me serious GI problems.

I have watery diarrhea after every meal for the past few weeks. It's only gotten worse the more I continue to eat primally.

I plan on going to the doctors but I know it's gotta be the fat because I have IBS. I'm basically eating the same foods minus the processed stuff, grains, etc other than more fats oils and fattier cuts of meat

Where do I go from here if so...I like eating this way...
    [ The Path of Healing Journal. ]

"Live in each season as it passes;
    breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit,
    and resign yourself to the influence of the earth."

gdot is offline Senior Member
    The most basic idea of primal is 'whole food', not necessarily high fat. Although the food pyramid is clearly based on lots of dead animal matter.

Could you think about moderating your proportion of fat intake before throwing in the towel completely?

Elliot is online now Senior Member
    protein and fruit seems primal

Definitely not throwing in the towel! Maybe adding more fruits and carbs to even out the spectrum? I already eat loads of protein. I'm not quite sure how macros work. I'm kinda afraid of carbs now that I've found something that's working for me in the hunger department, especially with the "fat burning" thing. But I'm completely ignorant to all this so far since I'm only a few months in.
    The increased portion of veggies is kicking my digestive ass too.

All my foods in my journal.
    Last edited by Makoce; 04-08-2014 at 09:54 PM.

Mazin Mark is offline Junior Member
    My personal opinion is that, depending on your unique genetics, you function more optimally with different macronutrient ratios compared to other people. I recommend experimenting with tweaking your macronutrients (carbohydrates, protein, fat) to see what your body responds best to.

gdot is offline Senior Member
    You might do well to add a couple of simple starchy foods such as banana, potato, a little rice, etc. etc. Try one or two servings a day to see how it goes.

I'm usually happy to see people add fruits in general - I believe they are pretty important.

But only after you are more stable? It sounds to me that you may be not fully adjusted to so much plant material just yet?

Definitely gonna play with macros and eat more foods that I have been moderating. As long as my hunger stays where it is I don't mind my macros since I'm trying to maintain anyway.
    And no plants and fats seem to hate me. Which is most of what I eat haha

zizou is offline Senior Member
    Just moderate it all, have a good blend of everything, enough focusing on macros and start living life. It should fall in place by itself, just stick to approved and nourishing foods. Eat to taste and desire if you're feeling it. No not chocolates and whatnot, when you retune your body it will eventually look only for the good stuff. If you feel like fatty steak, have it, if you feel like more carb based meal, have the potatoes,rice etc.

edennperez1 is online now Senior Member
    I don't have IBS but I had to settle with a lower fat primal because I just didn't feel good eating all that fat. I need a nice mix of some fatty meats sometimes and some lean meats sometimes. I just feel better that way. And I'm not afraid of carbs (fruit, rice, potato - in that order) on lower fat days. I go with what my body feels.

tomi is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Having IBS complicates things........... I've been battling IBS-D for most of my life - but the past 7 years have been a nightmare. I switched to Primal a little over 2 years ago. The first 6 months I was spot on strict without a single cheat, except for alcohol. The diarrhea problem never got better.

High fat will definitely make IBS-D worse. And you can most certainly eat a low fat content and still be primal. Go for lean cuts of meat - eat chicken breasts instead of the darker fatter parts. Go easy on the added fats when cooking or adding salad dressings. I've finally found a love for Balsamic dressing

Try adding fermented foods. Do you take digestive enzymes? A good broad spectrum digestive enzyme is important when dealing with IBS since digesting seems to be the main problem. Also - a good probiotic.

I'm no expert and don't have the answers........ but I've been getting loads of GREAT advice from others on this forum who have dealt with digestive troubles. I read a LOT - always searching for a new approach. Currently I am focusing on eating 100% primal with the low fat meats and easy on the butter/oils/fats.

As for the veggies kicking your butt........... try to eat them well cooked - and even pureed for a bit (see the Specific Carbohydrate Diet for more info on that)

Good luck............ come by my journal and we can try to work on this together if you'd like!
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast