Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Is low fat primal possible? page 5

Makoce is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    It all happened two weeks after switching to primal though. I did have blood work done and he did say I had somewhat of a fatty liver. Is that relevant?
    [ The Path of Healing Journal. ]

"Live in each season as it passes;
    breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit,
    and resign yourself to the influence of the earth."

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Makoce View Post
    It all happened two weeks after switching to primal though. I did have blood work done and he did say I had somewhat of a fatty liver. Is that relevant?
    Yes, liver problems are relevant.

Paradoxically to your situation though, reducing carbohydrates and relying on healthy fats for energy has been shown to help reverse NAFLD.

http://www.liverdoctor.com/liver/fatty-liver/
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 04-09-2014 at 12:55 PM.

TQP
    TQP is offline Senior Member
    I eat LFHC paleo... Primal is by definition low carb, but paleo isn't.
    JOURNAL.

Gelatin/bone broth recipes blog. (Latest recipe: Favorite Smoothies Recipes!)

Professional Style Website. (Latest features: Andrea, Random House Author; Tara, Digital Media Producer)

Sweatpants are a sign of defeat. You lost control of your life so you bought some sweatpants.- Karl Lagerfeld

gdot is offline Senior Member
    Under ANY circumstances - I think you need to stick with some basics here. Dial back the fat and up the starches for a week. Don't worry too much about white rice or brown rice. It's just not that precious.

First you need to get stable. You will still have time to sort out IBS, gall bladder, fatty liver, etc. etc. odds are very slim there is much of anything serious going on. Primary issues show up in your blood work one way or another more often than not.

For all any of us know you have a simple intestinal upset caused by a virus or a bacteria or a change in diet. There really is too much talk, not enough common sense swirling around.

Makoce is offline Senior Member
    Haha yeah, this is going all over the place now.

So.

Homework for the week: More starch less fat, ignore macro obsessing.

Will do!
    [ The Path of Healing Journal. ]

"Live in each season as it passes;
    breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit,
    and resign yourself to the influence of the earth."

gdot is offline Senior Member

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Often, if someone has been avoiding eating fat like the plague, a sudden change to a high fat diet will cause an acute gall bladder problem. I guess what happens is the gall bladder doesn't get much use, sort of gets stopped up, then suddenly here's all this fat and it goes whoosh. Not saying this has happened to you. It probably hasn't.

Also, a dramatic change one way or the other in the diet means all the bacteria in your intestines have to change to a different mixture. Some bacteria are good at digesting fibrous vegetables, others and starchy stuff, etc. You stop feeding some of them what they want and they die. You start feeding some of them a lot more than they can eat, and it takes a little time for them to get numerous enough to help you.

I do believe you can get to a state where your body isn't a "fat burning" body. I was certainly there. It's a strange place to be and I could feel something was wrong with me but I couldn't explain it very well to my doctor. How could I be feeling like I was starving when I was so fat? My doctor (and anyone with an opinion) would just say you need more willpower. Anyway, a period of time low carb force my body out of that state (no willpower required) and now I have better metabolic flexibility now, although I'm still kinda fat and probably always will be.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

thehallowprince is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Makoce View Post
    I switched over to primal over a month ago. I use to eat very low fat high carb which led to binging and feeling hungry every hour with shakey blood sugar crashes. But I had very healthy stools.

Now on high fat low carb I'm very satisfied and can even go 24 hrs without being hungry.

But I think the high fat is giving me serious GI problems.

I have watery diarrhea after every meal for the past few weeks. It's only gotten worse the more I continue to eat primally.

I plan on going to the doctors but I know it's gotta be the fat because I have IBS. I'm basically eating the same foods minus the processed stuff, grains, etc other than more fats oils and fattier cuts of meat

Where do I go from here if so...I like eating this way...
    I experienced this when i started paleo myself. it's the 'low carb flu' and it goes away. your body is adjusting to a drastic change in diet. it's completely normal.

and as for a "low fat paleo" it is possible but in no way sustainable, nor is good for you, nor is it delicious. It's ultimately doomed and pointless.
    March 1st 2010: 308lbs | CW: 219lbs / 18.5%BF | New Goal: 16% BF
    Male. 28. 6'4''. Currently working on them muscles and strength!

"My chest hair caught fire when I was fighting a bear with a flamethrower, how do I get my hair back? - Rivvin

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thehallowprince View Post
    I experienced this when i started paleo myself. it's the 'low carb flu' and it goes away. your body is adjusting to a drastic change in diet. it's completely normal.
    Well, having severe intestinal issues after every meal for weeks on end doesn't sound like 'low-carb flu' to me at all.

and as for a "low fat paleo" it is possible but in no way sustainable, nor is good for you, nor is it delicious. It's ultimately doomed and pointless.
    That's exactly how I feel about HFLC, and I'm speaking from experience.

TQP
    TQP is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thehallowprince View Post

Lol. I am HCLF and I love it. way mrie sustainable than LC for me... Meat and veggies gets old after a while but leaner meat along with yogurt, cottage cheese and fruits of the season never do.
    JOURNAL.

Gelatin/bone broth recipes blog. (Latest recipe: Favorite Smoothies Recipes!)

Professional Style Website. (Latest features: Andrea, Random House Author; Tara, Digital Media Producer)

Sweatpants are a sign of defeat. You lost control of your life so you bought some sweatpants.- Karl Lagerfeld

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast