Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Question Re: Squats For Tall Mo'fos page

zizou is offline Senior Member

Question Re: Squats For Tall Mo'fos

Primal Fuel
    So i'm BACK IN THE GYM and i have a question regarding barbell squats for tall ass people. I'm like 6'4 and i find squatting to be uncomfortable most of the time. I position the barbell on my traps behind the neck, which could well be wrong, i've heard it's meant to be lower, but because of my long and gangly frame i find it just really awkward all together.

So i'm wondering, to avoid any damage to my back or something, are taller people better off focusing on deadlifts and perhaps front squats?

Need some opinions, i am also worried that it's just my particular form and lack of concentration the couple times i've done squats, because before my long break i think my form was better, and the squats felt less awkward. I think these last 2 times ive gone gym, i've felt like my back was bending too much.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    I suppose that the length of femurs related to the length of your torso have more to say than how tall you are per se! I am 6.2, long legs and relative shorter torso, so my squat never became that good. I am pretty good at leg press though and my deadlift is decent also! Just wait a Little now before all those short legged dudes pop up to tell you how fantastic it is to do squats, no matter what...
    Whoever fights trolls should see to it that in the process he does not become a troll - for when you gaze long enough into the computer screen, the computer screen will gaze back into you!
    - Gorbag Nietzsche

I believe in 'if it feels natural' so i might have to conceide on squats unless it is just my form that's hampering my efforts. I feel it just sits uncomfourtably and my arms are too long or something..

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, you can post a video and see if you’ll get some constructive feedback here. In my case squat has always been more of a lower back exercise, but I do them from time to time anyway, high bar, trying to take the lower back out as much as possible, which is a rather futile task…
    Whoever fights trolls should see to it that in the process he does not become a troll - for when you gaze long enough into the computer screen, the computer screen will gaze back into you!
    - Gorbag Nietzsche

Exactly, i understand it works your core, and requires engaging it, but like you, my lower back might be copping a bit too much, and not enough on the legs which is the focus?

I think i will treat it in similiar manner as you, stick with it for time being perhaps and just work on technique but if not much going for me, then it's better safe than sorry.

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    I think giving up on squats just because you're tall is silly. I know a dude who's 6'8", played college basketball, and is a competitive strongman. He squats around 700.

Train them. You'll be better off getting better at them than giving up "because I'm too tall".

That's the "I'm not fat; I'm big boned" argument, just in squat form.

Sent via lightsaber

cookie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    I think giving up on squats just because you're tall is silly. I know a dude who's 6'8", played college basketball, and is a competitive strongman. He squats around 700.

Train them. You'll be better off getting better at them than giving up "because I'm too tall".

That's the "I'm not fat; I'm big boned" argument, just in squat form.

Sent via lightsaber
    +1
    sorry, i think we were built for squatting. this sounds like an issue of just getting comfortable with form. it might take a while, but i think you shouldn't cop out. work on your form. go back to using no weight until your form is perfect.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Well, Gorbag's certainly got my number on this one. I do have short legs, and I do think squats are valuable, but the internet has enough words in it about why squatting is a good idea, so I'll refrain from typing yet another treatise to the "king of all exercises."

If you want to do them, post a video as he suggested and we'll try to help. If you want to be told you can't so you have an excuse not to do them, you won't get it from me, but you can probably still live a (mostly) happy and productive life.
    The Champagne of Beards

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    There are lots of posts out there in the interwebz about people having problems with squat. Everyone of all shapes and sizes has some sort of problem, especially at first, but even further along. You just have to work on correcting it.

Recently someone posted a video of a competition between 4 lifters doing squat, as many as possible in a certain amount of time. The powerlifter was really tall and gangly. The bodybuilder was tall and build well. The weightlifter was short, thin and perfectly proportioned. The strongman was short and overweight. The tall and gangly powerlifter won the contest. His size was not a handicap at all.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

quikky is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Yeah, there is no anthropometry that can't squat properly. Some are simply more built for it (short legs), some not so much (long legs).

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast