Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Question Re: Squats For Tall Mo'fos page 3

not on the rug is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    No, back squatting taxes lower back more for me, always been so. But I am very careful also with deadlifting, it’s a strong medicine that should be used very sparingly when you get stronger! Basically; exercises that seriously hammer lower back will affect all your training and hold back recovery…
    have you tried high bar back squatting? for me, high bar position always felt more comfortable and taxes my lower back way less.

I agree with deadlifting and squatting being used sparingly. I don't know how anyone can do either more than once a week. I mean, I could squat or deadlift 2-3 times per week, but only if I did nothing but eat and sleep the rest of the time. the effort needed and the recovery periods are just too much
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    have you tried high bar back squatting? for me, high bar position always felt more comfortable and taxes my lower back way less.

I agree with deadlifting and squatting being used sparingly. I don't know how anyone can do either more than once a week. I mean, I could squat or deadlift 2-3 times per week, but only if I did nothing but eat and sleep the rest of the time. the effort needed and the recovery periods are just too much
    Yes, high bar, and I have been squatting on and off for many years, but if I really want to train my legs I do leg-press or hack-lifts with various stance! I am sure that I could squat 370 pound for reps but that would ruin the rest of my training for a couple of weeks…
    Whoever fights trolls should see to it that in the process he does not become a troll - for when you gaze long enough into the computer screen, the computer screen will gaze back into you!
    - Gorbag Nietzsche

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    did you actually read what I wrote? like, all of it. you told me i'm missing the point, then agreed with what I wrote
    Ta daa! You've been Gorbagged!

Nobody agrees as argumentatively as him. He's the king. Long live the king.
    The Champagne of Beards

not on the rug is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    Yes, high bar, and I have been squatting on and off for many years, but if I really want to train my legs I do leg-press or hack-lifts with various stance! I am sure that I could squat 370 pound for reps but that would ruin the rest of my training for a couple of weeks…
    do you do hack squats with a machine or with a bar? I used to do them occasionally with a bar. I would imagine that they would tax your lower back as well though
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Ta daa! You've been Gorbagged!

Nobody agrees as argumentatively as him. He's the king. Long live the king.
    I am so used to disagree with all the nonsense that comes from you guys that I sometimes can forget to turn off the autopilot when we agree…
    Whoever fights trolls should see to it that in the process he does not become a troll - for when you gaze long enough into the computer screen, the computer screen will gaze back into you!
    - Gorbag Nietzsche

do you do hack squats with a machine or with a bar? I used to do them occasionally with a bar. I would imagine that they would tax your lower back as well though
    My gym have a good hack-lift machine so I use that, but I do a bit more leg-press than machine hacks. Yep, hacklift with a bar can be an interesting exercise as well..
    - Gorbag Nietzsche

zizou is offline Senior Member
    I think you guys are missing the point here. everyone should squat. it is an essential motion for our anatomy. that doesn't mean you need to load the bar with maximum weight. it could mean sets of 10-12. it could mean bodyweight squats. it could mean grandma getting up and down from a chair. it doesn't mean you need to compete in a lifting meet. it is a motion that we should all be doing for health and mobility. if you want to strength train your lower body in other manners (leg press, extensions, etc) then go for it. but make sure to squat up and down throughout the day.
    I like this post. If i do it at a light weight i will get more benefit than not doing it at all. Get some mobility in some of the joints that wouldnt otherwise get any.

If you do squat as a mobility drill go ass to grass and try to sit in the hole for a short while…
    - Gorbag Nietzsche

June68 is offline Senior Member
    My 2 cents - I'm 5'9" and my low back is highly involved when I squat. To the point where it was hindering weight progression. As a solution, I don't squat as deeply which tucks my tailbone under and reduces the natural lumbar curve. Keeping my back in this formation eases the pain and I can squat heavier and longer. Granted, it's still a work in progress, but the exercise doesn't bother me like it used to. Basically I go as low as I can before I need to tuck my tailbone to stay balanced. Somewhere past thighs parallel to the floor and my butt touching the floor.

FWIW.
    5' 9" 44 YO F
    PB start June 2, 2012
    Pre PB SW = 180 (no scale at home, Mom's scale January - 153lbs!)

PB Journal

James Ming is offline Senior Member
    lemme see you squat, squat, squat, squat
    lemme see you squat, squa-squat, squat, squat

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast