Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Question Re: Squats For Tall Mo'fos page 2

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by zizou View Post
    Exactly, i understand it works your core, and requires engaging it, but like you, my lower back might be copping a bit too much, and not enough on the legs which is the focus?
    Yeah, lower back gives out before legs getting enough strength stimuli and also impact overall recovery since hammering lower back hard will affect CNS more than anything else, that again leads to more recovery needed for all of your other training etc…
    Whoever fights trolls should see to it that in the process he does not become a troll - for when you gaze long enough into the computer screen, the computer screen will gaze back into you!
    - Gorbag Nietzsche

zizou is offline Senior Member
    I'll put more effort into getting the form down pat, and getting the brain pattern solidified. I do squat below parallel, i might just get around to posting a video, in the meantime anyone got a good guide from the web or a video on proper squatting?

thehallowprince is offline Senior Member
    I am 6ft4in myself. I just started squats this month. They kick my ass... leave my muscles very sore. But this is only because I haven't been doing them. Done properly they won't fuck with your knees or back or anything. I use a squat-rack. I can't squat very much (yet) but as I continue to eat right and train right my numbers will go up.

Don't use your height as a crutch. What is a few extra inches!?
    March 1st 2010: 308lbs | CW: 219lbs / 18.5%BF | New Goal: 16% BF
    Male. 28. 6'4''. Currently working on them muscles and strength!

"My chest hair caught fire when I was fighting a bear with a flamethrower, how do I get my hair back? - Rivvin

Nekron is offline Senior Member
    The internet is so goddamn retarded when it comes to squats its not even funny anymore.

When someone says that squats arent as useful for tall people its not at all about getting strong or not. Of course you can get a reasonably strong squat even with a suboptimal build for it. Its not about fear of injury either.

Thing is, its a fucking back exercise for people with the wrong proportions which makes doing both squats and deadlifts completely pointless unless you are trying to become a powerlifter with an official record. Its not about pussying around because your back cant take it, its about getting shit done for your legs before your back is completely exhausted.

While heavy back squats may be a good exercise for many strength trainees it sure does not follow that it is an optimal lower body exercise for EVERYBODY – by far so! My lower back is pretty strong but it will always be the weak link when squatting, no matter what I am doing. So people with disproportional anatomy for doing back squats may indeeed be much better off doing something else for their lower body. Saying that everybody simply MUST squat for lower body strength, no matter what, is dogmatic and beyond stupid, even when it comes from strength “gurus” like Rippetoe or others…
    Whoever fights trolls should see to it that in the process he does not become a troll - for when you gaze long enough into the computer screen, the computer screen will gaze back into you!
    - Gorbag Nietzsche

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nekron View Post
    The internet is so goddamn retarded when it comes to squats its not even funny anymore.

When someone says that squats arent as useful for tall people its not at all about getting strong or not. Of course you can get a reasonably strong squat even with a suboptimal build for it. Its not about fear of injury either.

Thing is, its a fucking back exercise for people with the wrong proportions which makes doing both squats and deadlifts completely pointless unless you are trying to become a powerlifter with an official record. Its not about pussying around because your back cant take it, its about getting shit done for your legs before your back is completely exhausted.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    While heavy back squats may be a good exercise for many strength trainees it sure does not follow that it is an optimal lower body exercise for EVERYBODY – by far so! My lower back is pretty strong but it will always be the weak link when squatting, no matter what I am doing. So people with disproportional anatomy for doing back squats may indeeed be much better off doing something else for their lower body. Saying that everybody simply MUST squat for lower body strength, no matter what, is dogmatic and beyond stupid, even when it comes from strength “gurus” like Rippetoe or others…
    I think you guys are missing the point here. everyone should squat. it is an essential motion for our anatomy. that doesn't mean you need to load the bar with maximum weight. it could mean sets of 10-12. it could mean bodyweight squats. it could mean grandma getting up and down from a chair. it doesn't mean you need to compete in a lifting meet. it is a motion that we should all be doing for health and mobility. if you want to strength train your lower body in other manners (leg press, extensions, etc) then go for it. but make sure to squat up and down throughout the day.
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    I think you guys are missing the point here. everyone should squat. it is an essential motion for our anatomy. that doesn't mean you need to load the bar with maximum weight. it could mean sets of 10-12. it could mean bodyweight squats. it could mean grandma getting up and down from a chair. it doesn't mean you need to compete in a lifting meet. it is a motion that we should all be doing for health and mobility. if you want to strength train your lower body in other manners (leg press, extensions, etc) then go for it. but make sure to squat up and down throughout the day.
    Maybe you are missing the point Rug? Nobody, I think, denies that a squat is a natural movement and should be done for mobility! The issue though is loaded back squatting that goes close to failure for improving lower body strength, 5 or 15 reps, the impact on lower back will still be devastating and seriously affect the rest of your strength programming and recovery if you have the wrong anatomical build! And it will not tax your legs as good as other movements either, so it will simply not be optimal for all people doing it…
    - Gorbag Nietzsche

quikky is offline Senior Member
    My lower back is pretty strong but it will always be the weak link when squatting, no matter what I am doing. So people with disproportional anatomy for doing back squats may indeeed be much better off doing something else for their lower body.
    You can deadlift more than you can squat. The deadlift taxes your lower back far more than a squat. So, how can you deadlift a heavy weight, but not squat a lighter weight with even less lower back involvement?

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    Maybe you are missing the point Rug? Nobody, I think, denies that a squat is a natural movement and should be done for mobility! The issue though is loaded back squatting that goes close to failure for improving lower body strength, 5 or 15 reps, the impact on lower back will still be devastating and seriously affect the rest of your strength programming and recovery if you have the wrong anatomical build! And it will not tax your legs as good as other movements either, so it will simply not be optimal for all people doing it…
    did you actually read what I wrote? like, all of it. you told me i'm missing the point, then agreed with what I wrote
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

Quote Originally Posted by quikky View Post
    You can deadlift more than you can squat. The deadlift taxes your lower back far more than a squat. So, how can you deadlift a heavy weight, but not squat a lighter weight with even less lower back involvement?
    No, back squatting taxes lower back more for me, always been so. But I am very careful also with deadlifting, it’s a strong medicine that should be used very sparingly when you get stronger! Basically; exercises that seriously hammer lower back will affect all your training and hold back recovery…
    - Gorbag Nietzsche

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast