Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primal Garden! What to Grow? page

maurapprimal is offline Member

Smile Primal Garden! What to Grow?

Primal Fuel
    Merry Tuesday Folks.

It's that time of year, and as it's going to get hot soon, I'd like to try and get some plants into the ground before the summer bakes everything. But I can't decide what to try this round. Last year I had eggplant, bell peppers, chives, cucumber and several herbs (though at some point I had far too many bell peppers to go around :P).

So I was wondering what you all have in your gardens this time of year?

MEversbergII is offline Senior Member
    One can never have too many bell peppers!

Tomatoes, especially sauce-suitable ones like Roma, are always handy.

And, of course, basil. Loads of basil.

M.

maurapprimal is offline Member
    Mmm, basil. I did basil last time too. It exploded, the darn plant was 2-3 feet high lol.
    Back from the dead!
    New Starting Weight: 200
    Current Weight: 197
    Goal Weight: 130.

"This is the lesson: never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never—in nothing, great or small, large or petty—never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy." - Winston Churchill

kiwisk8girl is offline Junior Member
    My spring/summer garden has:

Tomatoes - LOTS of tomatoes
    Potatoes
    French Beans
    Snap Peas
    Zucchini
    Butternut Squash
    about 5 varieties of pumpkin
    Strawberries
    Watermelon
    Chili Peppers
    Beetroot
    Lettuce - leafy not headed types
    Lots of herbs - chives, oregano, thyme, cilantro(Corriander), sage, parsley
    radishes

I go with things that are pretty foolproof to grow and that my family eats a lot of. I'm in New Zealand (The Wairarapa) and our climate is a bit like northern california (maybe not quite as hot in summer) I never bother with onions or carrots cause they are super cheap at the supermarket.

We are going into winter at the moment so I'm busy getting lots of brassicas in (caulk, broccoli, brussels sprouts, cabbage) and some leeks - yum!

ekba09 is offline Member
    Just planted here in US northeast. Spinach and peas are in. Green beans, hot peppers and more greens when summer comes. Will also have everyday herbs - basil, chives, chervil and rosemary. CSA provides the rest.

MarielleGO is offline Senior Member
    AT the moment it's only raspberries and strawberries... I still need to renovate the garden but the idea is, carrots, lettuce, beets, potatoes... Probably tomatoes, I really want a cherry tree and we will grow tons of herbs.
    My story, My thought....

It's all about trying to stay healthy!!!!

Calories? Aren't that those little creatures that live in my closet and shrink my clothes at night?
    AN EARTH WARRIOR!!!!

TheyCallMeLazarus is offline Senior Member
    At this point for me, nothing is yet in the beds....I tend to start pretty much everything indoors, as I get really sad if I lose any of my starts. I have to be able to predict my yields in order to know what will be getting canned vs eaten vs sold, so just planting them and hoping for the best germination rate won't work. This year it looks like this:

Raised beds:

-- Tomatoes: long, medium, and short harvest times. I have Chadwicks that will be ready in 37 days, up to huge (softball sized) heirlooms that will take 55 days. This way they come in waves.
    -- Cucumber
    -- Carrots: red and yellow, different times.
    -- Spinach heavy-leaf, baby spinach, bok choy, hardheaded cabbage, kale as the late season cover
    -- Radishes

Fertilized hay plots:
    -- Yellow potatoes, Millwater yams that grow as big as a football, garlic, rocket scallions, thyme as cover

Direct field seeding:
    -- Strawberries, green melons, pumpkins (they have a full acre this year! Hoping to host my own pumpkin patch for kids in the fall), guava (likely won't work)

Trees
    -- Peaches and blackberries are all I can produce on my actual plot. There are wild raspberry bushes a few miles from the house that I found last year, so it doubles as a great hunting spot. A friend's family has been producing apples and blueberries on his land since about WWI, thus I have no real incentive to invest in being able to produce these on day.

On May 1st, some of it will start to go into the Earth
    "They now look to a single and splendid government of an aristocracy, founded on banking institutions, and moneyed incorporations under the guise and cloak of their favored branches of manufactures, commerce and navigation, riding and ruling over the plundered ploughman and beggared yeomanry." - Thomas Jefferson, 1826

MEversbergII is offline Senior Member
    If I'm not required to move AGAIN at the end of the month, I'll see what I can throw down. My neighbor gave me 4 broccoli plants yesterday, though, so I think I'll go and get a pot for them tomorrow. Might also get some herb containers too. I can always throw them out or give them away if I move.

M.

womenainis is offline Junior Member
    Will also have everyday herbs - basil, chives, chervil and rosemary. CSA provides the rest.

oxide is offline Senior Member
    What to grow?
    Cow
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast