Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: 5 Reasons Bodyweight Training Is The Best! page 4

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by DennyB View Post
    Rich just curious, can you do a platform pistol, or a pistol rollup?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
    If those are what I'm sort of imagining them to be (sorry, not immediately familiar with the terms), then yes to both.

I can pistol on a raised surface, like a box or DB flat bench where I don't have to hold my other leg up quite as high as a pistol on the floor. I used to do them on Bosu balls, with the black (flat) side up, before I knew much better. I was doing sets of at least 10 with each leg. Is that what a platform pistol is?

I can roll up from my back, plant one foot next to my ass, leave the other extended in front of me, and stand up. Is that what pistol rollup means?

Despite the impression I apparently give off around here, I'm not a big fat powerlifter who squats 600 lbs. I'm a medium-small, relatively mobile and agile Brazilian Jiu Jitsu dude who has added 15 lbs of LBM and ~300 to my PL total (spread among the 3 lifts) in a year and a half of intelligently programmed barbell lifting and shocked myself with the effect of the additional strength on my Jiu Jitsu game. Aren't the recent converts always the biggest zealots? I'm just following the rules
    The Champagne of Beards

Canuck_Cam is offline Member
    I've decided to move to a bodyweight exclusive style (maybe test big 4 once a month with barbell).

Al, I bought your book and have been enjoying going through that.

I will try to remember to report findings/feelings periodically.

Quote Originally Posted by Lockstock View Post
    I think an all around approach to strength and fitness is appropriate.

Barbell training is without a doubt the best way to achieve basic all round strength, but body-weight stuff has it uses.
    For me, body weight circuits are a killer and burn me out after a set, so there awesome for conditioning.

As for strength, as Rich has said, there really isn't a bodyweight equivalent to a 300lb squat, but in saying that, is a 300lb squat the same as a perfect pistol squat with a kettle bell in hand? Id argue the latter has a lot of balance and co-ordination issues involved for it to be a perfect rep and therefore isn't just about "how much can you lift" but how much stability and balance and flexibility you have.

In any case, neither is better. It depends on ones goals and how much you wanna put into it.
    Me? I love pull-ups and pushups and pull-ups is about as far as I go in the body weight department, but that's because I have different goals.
    Good summary, LS. Well said.
    The Champagne of Beards

DennyB is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    If those are what I'm sort of imagining them to be (sorry, not immediately familiar with the terms), then yes to both.

I can pistol on a raised surface, like a box or DB flat bench where I don't have to hold my other leg up quite as high as a pistol on the floor. I used to do them on Bosu balls, with the black (flat) side up, before I knew much better. I was doing sets of at least 10 with each leg. Is that what a platform pistol is?

I can roll up from my back, plant one foot next to my ass, leave the other extended in front of me, and stand up. Is that what pistol rollup means?

Despite the impression I apparently give off around here, I'm not a big fat powerlifter who squats 600 lbs. I'm a medium-small, relatively mobile and agile Brazilian Jiu Jitsu dude who has added 15 lbs of LBM and ~300 to my PL total (spread among the 3 lifts) in a year and a half of intelligently programmed barbell lifting and shocked myself with the effect of the additional strength on my Jiu Jitsu game. Aren't the recent converts always the biggest zealots? I'm just following the rules
    The platform pistol I had in mind I found on yayog, (i tried to find it on youtube but couldnt). It was a video example of a guy stepping up onto something about the height of a dinner table from the ground, A truly amazing body weight exercise if you ask me!! Would you be able to do this?

The pistol rollup is less impressive but IMO still a impressive exercise, essentially in the demonstration the guy lowers himself to the ground in a pistol, rocks on his back and lifts himself back into standing position add a jump at the end to make it more fun!
    Can you do this?

Not trying to give you a hard time, just trying to figure out what body weight exercise is harder than being able to squat the amount of weight you can squat.
    Last edited by DennyB; 04-11-2014 at 05:41 AM. Reason: end quote

not on the rug is offline Senior Member
    The platform pistol I had in mind I found on yayog, (i tried to find it on youtube but couldnt). It was a video example of a guy stepping up onto something about the height of a dinner table from the ground, A truly amazing body weight exercise if you ask me!! Would you be able to do this?

The pistol rollup is less impressive but IMO still a impressive exercise, essentially in the demonstration the guy lowers himself to the ground in a pistol, rocks on his back and lifts himself back into standing position add a jump at the end to make it more fun!
    Can you do this?

Not trying to give you a hard time, just trying to figure out what body weight exercise is harder than being able to squat the amount of weight you can squat.
    If you can squat 2x your bodyweight, you're pretty strong. There probably aren't many (if any) lower body bodyweight exercises that someone with that strength ratio couldn't do. Most of those exercises would build strength in an untrained or moderately trained individual, but those advanced bodyweight exercises require equal amounts of strength and skill. A person who can pistol squat can't learn how to squat 2x bodyweight in an hour or two. A person who can squat 2x their bodyweight can be taught a pistol squat in a few minutes.
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

Yeah, I can step right up onto the desk in my office or a dinner table 1-footed. I don't think that's a very difficult exercise, to be honest. The thing I was imagining is more difficult for sure.
    The Champagne of Beards

Al_Kavadlo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Canuck_Cam View Post
    Al, I bought your book and have been enjoying going through that.
    Right on! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    A person who can squat 2x their bodyweight can be taught a pistol squat in a few minutes.
    In theory, this seems like a reasonable assertion. However, as someone who has taught the pistol (or at least attempted to teach it) to hundreds of people, some of whom could squat well over 2x bodyweight, I can tell you that this is not usually the case. I've seen some incredibly strong people struggle with the balance, mobility and/or skill-specificity that the pistol requires.
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

not on the rug is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Al_Kavadlo View Post

In theory, this seems like a reasonable assertion. However, as someone who has taught the pistol (or at least attempted to teach it) to hundreds of people, some of whom could squat well over 2x bodyweight, I can tell you that this is not usually the case. I've seen some incredibly strong people struggle with the balance, mobility and/or skill-specificity that the pistol requires.
    right al. I was exaggerating to make a point. Teaching the skill/balance is a lot quicker of a process than building up 2x bodyweight strength. A person with lots of strength can learn the pistol skill much more quickly than a weak person could squat 2x bodyweight. If you already have 2x bodyweight strength, it's the pistol skill you need to learn; you already have the strength to do it. Does that make more sense?
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    A person with lots of strength can learn the pistol skill much more quickly than a weak person could squat 2x bodyweight. If you already have 2x bodyweight strength, it's the pistol skill you need to learn; you already have the strength to do it. Does that make more sense?
    Bingo.
    The Champagne of Beards

d-roc is offline Member
    Pistol is a real difficult skill to learn for me.
    Heavy squats no issue, easy to learn.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast