Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any BBQ'ers out there? BBQ Brisket = FAIL page

cancerguy99 is offline Member

Any BBQ'ers out there? BBQ Brisket = FAIL

Nothing like a good TX style brisket cooked low and slow, I even get my rub from a place I went when I lived in Houston. I've done pretty good with the corn fed briskets but my attempt with a grass fed brisket was a failure. I think it may just be too lean.

I set my pit to 215 and pulled the brisket after about 16hrs at an internal temp of 181. I was going to go for 185 but as it was I almost had jerkey. I did a corn fed last week and pulled it a about 190 and it came out fine.

My thoughts:
    Forgot to brush with olive oil before putting on the rub, not sure how much this would have helped.

Next time shoot for a lower internal temp, since I can always leave it on longer but I can't undo the damage of overcooking.

Anyone have any thoughts?

I'm going to post this on some BBQ forums I belong to also.

Thanks!
    CG99

Grol is offline Senior Member
    CG99, you obviously know what you're doing. I smoke a lot of meat and opened this thread sure to give you an easy answer, but you're just going to have to experiment a little with the temps. Grass fed brisket may benefit from a few hours in foil like some serious smokers do their ribs. Just a thought.

stockjohn is offline Senior Member
    Lately I've been doing Texas style dry rubbed beef ribs instead of brisket but yeah, the grass-fed stuff overcooks a lot faster. I never put olive oil on it but I don't trim any fat off the cap when I do brisket. Usually I'll preheat it in the over at 150 just to get the surface fat to melt a little and then I put the dry rub on. Throughout the smoking process I never go above 250 and on average I'd say that the middle of the smoke box stays around 200. Last time I did it I only left it on for 12 hours and then wrapped it in foil and let it rest for a half hour. It was perfect...nice smoke ring and everything.

mikebike is offline Senior Member
    Why did you go for such a high interal temp?

Rivvin is offline Senior Member
    Well, I usually cook my Briskets to a much higher internal temperature than I cook a steak just like cancerguy did his but thats usually because it takes that much for a Brisket to start to break down and not be tough!

However, I am guessing his was so lean that it ended up being overkill. If you are going to keep smoking with those lean cuts, I suggest taking it off about an hour or two before it would normally be finished, wrap it up in foil tightly with a splash of apple juice, and then set it in a closed ice chest for the remainder of its cooking time. This will really help loosen it up.

edit: This is how I also do my ribs... 3 hours smoke, 2 hours sitting in foil with some apple juice, 1 final hour of smoke.

The same principal can be applied to a brisket, just modify the times accordingly!

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
    That's WAY too high of a temperature as your "jerky" observation confirms. I don't need to have ever done a brisket to know that!

THE very best website on all things grilling is www.amazingribs.com .

I've developed a no-added-sugar-no-fructose rich, robust BBQ sauce. I'll post it if folks want. Family and friends want me to cook ribs whenever they visit.

Rosegin is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OnTheBayou View Post
    That's WAY too high of a temperature as your "jerky" observation confirms. I don't need to have ever done a brisket to know that!

THE very best website on all things grilling is www.amazingribs.com .

I've developed a no-added-sugar-no-fructose rich, robust BBQ sauce. I'll post it if folks want. Family and friends want me to cook ribs whenever they visit.
    I'd like that recipe, please.
    ~Sandy

stockjohn and Rivvin - you guys are right on, I set my BBQ Guru to a grate temp of 210 with the probe close to the brisket, most BBQ'ers will recommend an internal temp of 185 to start checking for 'doneness'. I cook on a Big Green Egg and I did pull it and let it rest in foil for about an hour. I don't usually add anything but the dry rub for corn fed brisket. Looks like I'm going to have to alter for grass fed. Maybe even inject it. It turned out that there was vaery little marbeling and most of the fat was on the outside.

OnTheBayou - This is one of the people I borrow suggestions from http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogs...3/brisket.html
    I also use advice from ElderWard. 185 - 195 is not too high a temp for a fatty brisket, you have to break down the fat. for a not so fatty grass fed, it ws too high. IF I try again I'll shoot for 175 but I may just stick with the corn fed for my briskets and do some thing more Primal for my pork shoulders.

I'm going to check in with the BBQ Brethren and see if anyone over there has experience with grass fed.

Thanks for the tips folks, keep them coming.
    CG99

PMAC is offline Member
    Buy this book by Stanley Fishman (ironic last name) Tender Grassfed Meat: Traditional Ways To Cook Healthy Meat it covers a multitude of ways to cook grass fed beef.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks, I'll check it out. I hope to one day be as good at cooking the grass fed as I am the corn. Not that I can take my show on the road.

Quote Originally Posted by PMAC View Post
    Buy this book by Stanley Fishman (ironic last name) Tender Grassfed Meat: Traditional Ways To Cook Healthy Meat it covers a multitude of ways to cook grass fed beef.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast