Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Any BBQ'ers out there? BBQ Brisket = FAIL page 2

stockjohn is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I bought a 3.5 pound brisket yesterday. Its not 100% grassfed but it comes from a very good local ranch that's pretty small. I hope this means its a little fattier. I'm going to try to smoke it today or tomorrow. Have you tried again cancer guy? I don't want to screw up a $20 hunk of meat. You said you were going to check with some BBQ forums. Any luck?
    Last edited by stockjohn; 07-10-2010 at 08:31 AM.

a chef friend of mine who does a ton of bbq told me that with grassfed brisket I should cook it to an internal temp of 210. Seems counterintuitive but he said that since over 12 hours of smoking you're squeezing out all the juice anyway, you need to keep bringing the temp up slowly so that the collagen breaks down fully...this is what makes good bbq tender, according to him. My brisket definitely doesn't look as fatty as a cornfed one so I'm going to roll the dice and give his advice a shot. I'll let you know how it goes. Here's what I'm doing:

- 3.5 lb. brisket, dry rubbed
    - 4 hours in smoke at 285 - 300
    - 8 hours in a 290 degree oven, wrapped in foil (I don't feel like standing by the pit all day so I'm cheating)

chasbuddy is offline Senior Member
    One more thought to save time and money. Start your brisket at 175 in your house oven in a large walled tray but inside an oven bag. Put your brisket in this bag and roast in the oven for as long as your thermometer says and you are comfortable....then take outside and finish off with the high dollar wood smoke fire. Its been my experience that any time on the BBQ grill (smoker) over two or so hours makes the taste indistinguishable from those done wholly outdoors. Fat side up always. Wrap the cooked meat in foil and leave on the smoker for the last hour. Then and only then bring it in and trim fat off the back, slice and serve.

That probably would have been a good way to go. I really overdid it. After a few hours on the smoker I left it in a 250 degree oven and went out for the day. When I got back it looked and smelled great but when I went to slice it it pretty much fell apart. Tastes good but the consistency (mush) is pretty unappetizing. It also shrank a whole lot. What started out at a 3.5 lb. piece of meat only seems to be around 3 servings now. Oh well....next time I'm going to keep the heat closer to 200 the whole time...

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/index.html

Lots of advice here on cooking brisket....

cancerguy99 is offline Member
    stockjohn - I have not tried a grass fed again. I need to place another order. Haven't asked anyone on the BBQ forums either. Mine shrunk quite a bit too. Until I know more, I'll pobably stick with at least grain finished brisket. I don't cook them often enough and the time invested is too great to take another chance real soon.

I do my smoking in a Big Green Egg, with a BBQ Guru that controls my pit temp and monitors my meat temps so I don't have to babysit my pit as much. Never tried starting of finishing in the oven so I can't really help you there.

I wil say that even on the BBQ forums, brisket is known to be hard to cook, the lack of fat in the Grass Fed just increases the degree of difficulty.

cancerguy99 is offline Member
    Intresting thread from the BBQ Brethren forum. http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=82160

I may try using a Jaccard next time. http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=60572 I like 'Smoke & Beers' method, not exactly primal but I'm pretty sure there is a law against BBQ'ing without a beer in your hand.
    Last edited by cancerguy99; 07-12-2010 at 10:02 AM. Reason: Adding a link

if there isn't a law against it there should be. Maybe that was my problem...no beer. I put it on the smoker and then moved it to the oven while I worked out. That's pretty poor bbq etiquette.

brians_ona_boat is offline Junior Member
    I know it sounds odd but putting it in a brine for awhile make help it retain some moisture, it works with turkeys and similarly they're lean and must be cooked low for several hours, just a thought.

tulipwood is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    i cook the brisket in the slow cooker then grill it long enough to get some nice char marks...moist and tender inside, crispy brown outside.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast