Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Broken Jaw Diet - Would Grok Survive? page

fitislandgirl is offline Junior Member

Question Broken Jaw Diet - Would Grok Survive?

Primal Fuel
    Hi guys!

I underwent jaw surgery on June 1st and am currently wired shut for the next 3 weeks. I'm on a no chew diet and everything has to be in liquid form. Basically a lot of protein shakes, fruit and veggie juices. This entire experience has got me wondering about Cavemen. What would happen to Grok if he had a broken jaw? Would a broken jaw be a death sentence? If not, what would Grok eat? I would really like to get back to being primal during this entire experience but I'm finding it really rough. I'm being told to eat a lot of blended ice cream with puddings and tons of sugary crap. I'm dying to crunch on some veggies and meats! I'm in need of a rescue here please.

Thanks!

Kimmy
    Last edited by fitislandgirl; 06-28-2010 at 02:42 PM. Reason: Typo

Molecular Grokologist is offline Senior Member
    Nah, he would have just eaten pastes of meat/fat/fruit like loose pemmican, I suspect. Paleo man (woman) also had no trouble making soups in animal hides too, so that would have nourished him. Your problem is that your jaw is wired shut instead of just bound close to your head. Don't forget that smoothies don't need to exclude veggies and even animal products. Butter and cod liver oil actually work pretty well in a lot of smoothies. Use whole milk yogurt and greens. Add egg yolks. The sky is the limit!
    Give me liberty. Exploration of other options will be vigorously discouraged.

Wondering something sciencey? Ask me in my Ask a Biochemist Thread

rozska is offline Senior Member
    I always add some kind of veggie to my smoothie. Generally I go for more "tasteless" ones though, because I want to taste the berries and yogurt more. So I'd recommend cucumbers and zucchini, though the one I made a couple days ago using a red bell pepper was actually pretty good. Needed to "sweeten" it though by adding a spoonful of vanilla. (Don't know why adding vanilla to things tricks my tastebuds into thinking something is sweet, but it does.)

As for Grok -- pre-masticated food was common for babies switching off breast milk. Plus, without modern hygienics, Grok probably lost his teeth early, and would have to exist on stews and such.

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    He would have most certainly died because there would have been no way to take care of it. A broken jaw doesn't fix itself.

Anyways, be glad we have modern medicine (with all it's flaws) and I wish you a speedy recovery!
    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Molecular Grokologist is offline Senior Member
    @rozska

Hunter-gatherers have great teeth, even when they do very little to maintain them. K2 sufficiency for the win.

@ rphlslv

Really, you can't just bind up a mandible fracture and expect it to heal on its own? I mean, unless you crack the damn thing in half...

Of course, I may be making an exhibit of my ignorance here.
    Give me liberty. Exploration of other options will be vigorously discouraged.

Wondering something sciencey? Ask me in my Ask a Biochemist Thread

Katie82 is offline Senior Member
    Coconut milk
    bone broths
    veggie juice
    Nut butter blended into smoothies

Zo
    Zo is offline Senior Member
    I suggest making a soup with blended squash or sweet potato with bone broth and coconut milk and add some very very finely shredded chicken to get your protein minimum in (which is probably only 45-60g/day).

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member
    I couldn't chew for a few weeks and did a lot of soups with soft poached eggs or egg drop style soups, veggie/berry smoothies with protein powder and egg custards. Hope you're chewing on a nice big steak soon!!!

Mike Alzen is offline Senior Member
    Man that sucks. I would probably make bacon and eggs and try to blend it until it was liquidy. I have no idea if that would work. My kitchen skills are.......minimal.

thejoegernaut is offline Junior Member
    I just had my wires removed from jaw surgery on the 27th, so I know how it feels. The time really does fly, though. An added bonus is that you may lose a significant amount of fat. Muscle will be lost, too, but that comes back quite quickly.

I used a lot of marinara, spinach, kale, coconut milk, almond butter, cacao powder, acai powder, berries, coconut water, and whey protein. I also found an awesome recipe for a pudding-type drink: 2 bananas, 4 raw eggs, and cinammon to taste.

Good luck with everything!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast