Thread: Medieval sauce thickening--with meat!

Medieval sauce thickening--with meat!

Shop Now
    Well, I was just reading amazon.com reviews for a cookbook called Sauces (by James Peterson), and a reviewer mentioned that in medieval times, people thickened their sauces with pureed meat. That pretty much solves the problem of wanting to add flour to pan sauces for a thick gravy.

Have you tried this?...I'm curious.

would it work with any kind of meat?...

if you try it give a heads up plz

that's basically what giblet gravy is. I do it with hearts and livers. Just puree them raw in the cuisinart and add them directly to gravies. For more refined sauces I just use really reduced beef or chicken stock instead.

That's hardcore.
    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

I have this book, if you'd like I can find that passage for you.

He is one of my favorite cookbook authors and Sauces is a great book. His book on soups is incredible and many of them are primal. And his Vegetables book is also very good.

Quote Originally Posted by Rivvin View Post
    I have this book, if you'd like I can find that passage for you.
    if it isn't too much trouble, please do... ... if it is too much trouble... I'm sure I'll forget about it quickly enough

I think it works with blood also, and marrow. Both get kind of gelatinous when heated.
    Mermaid

Blood skeeves me out a bit, but the organs/ground meat/marrow idea is awesome!

DS and I both have celiac, so even before PB, gravy was hard to come by. Hooray!
    Chief cook & bottle washer for one kid, a dog, 6 hens, 2 surprise! roosters, two horses, and a random 'herd' of quail.

~The ultimate ignorance is the rejection of something one knows nothing about and refuses to investigate~

Shop Now
    This post came in handy tonight. I made liver for the first time in a bazzilion years when my mother would fry it into shoe leather and make me sit at the table till I finished it or till bedtime.

Even with a great sounding recipe, it was gross. My eldest ate it. The husband nibbled on it. THe youngest almost hurled on the table.

I pureed the rest of it with some water and poured it into muffin cups and it's current freezing for my next stew, soup or gravy making needs!