Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arikara6's Rumblings of the Inner Sanctum page

Arikara6 is offline Senior Member

Arikara6's Rumblings of the Inner Sanctum

Shop Now
    I've been wanting to start one of these for FOREVER - and I've finally gotten a large enough break where I can sit down and nug away at a computer.

For the basics, I got back from a short-tour deployment in Feb/March to Afghanistan, and was disgusted with myself. I worked in the S3/Ops shop for the deployment, so I made sure a desk didn't float away for 8 months. Hardly any sunlight. Not much sleep. Ate nothing but crap (when you're away from your family and doing what I did - comfort food takes on a whole new meaning).

Just before I flew, I had been diagnosed with high-blood pressure, told that I'd be on BP meds for the rest of my life (I'm 32 for crying out loud!).

I worked out as best I could while I was gone, ran a bit, lifted a LOT, and took suppliments to help power me through a lack of sleep in the gym.

When I got home, I was 274 pounds, my run time was crap, and my blood pressure was out of control (did I mention that I was not great about taking my meds?). I looked like a walrus - I was not happy. My stress levels were out of control, my marriage was being affected (read into that as you like). Life was NOT good.

I started to Crossfit with a buddy of mine - and in doing dietary research, I found the Paleolithic diet. One thing lead to another and I found Mark's website. Ordered the book on Kindle the same day, and read it on leave while sitting on a beach in Florida. By the end of leave (beginning of April) I was ready to take the plunge.

Today's the 28th of June. I weighed in at 244 (that's 30 pounds) and 3 inches off my stomach - and a few weeks ago, my BP was normal. I haven't taken meds in almost a year. I'm feeling great, and looking great.

I got my first set of Vibram Five Fingers 2 weeks ago - and I ran for 40 minutes in them today (I had been running barefoot up until now). I've got a blister the size of a quarter on my big toe, but otherwise I feel GREAT. What comfy shoes! My wife hates them (and mostly anything remotely Primal -long story for another day) but they are AWESOME! Once my feet and calves toughen up a bit, I can see BIGTIME mileage getting put away with these puppies! I enjoy running again!

Anyways, look forward to detailing the rest of the road here. Looking for maybe 200 - 220ish with a 36 or smaller waistline (pretty good for being 6'4" I think).

Look forward to seeing you all around!

And with dinner complete - there goes another day. Costco has this great deal on pre-cooked steak (isn't the best meat cut I'm sure, but it's easy for a hectic lifestyle). Had some for breakfast and lunch, along with carrot sticks and blueberries and then my wife made this AWESOME garlic chicken with green beans for dinner. For dessert, I had almonds, dark chocolate (just a little 60%) and more blueberries. That, with the 40 minutes on the track with the vibrams makes for a pretty damn good day.

I'm missing Crossfit (and really anything related to the lower back in terms of lifting) tomorrow - and have been for the last two weeks. I had a bad squat turn into a "good-morning" and pulled a muscle back there. It's been hurting like hell ever since - kind of hoping it goes away soon. I miss all my PT buddies at lunch.

Back still hurting - I ended up visiting a massage therapist. Felt a little better, went to the gym, and then tweaked it again. Still...it IS feeling better. I'm thinking I'm going to give squats a try (light) early next week. We'll see.

I fell off the wagon for about a week last week, when I was having a rough week at work, and had my in-laws in town (they are the Anti-Christ - most evil people EVER). They are both horrifically overweight (dad is 420, mom is 260ish) and emptied my house of just about everything that had to do with food. Work has been KILLING me lately - just really stressful with 2 training units in town.

Anyways, all that stress complete, I got back to it this week, and have dropped back down to 244. I've taken it easy with the lifting and I've been doing a bunch of elliptical work (not terribly primal, but it's easy on the back), so rehab is going well.

I had a protein shake for breakfast (running late) which worked well, some slow-cooked beef for lunch and an apple, turkey for a snack, and spaghetti meat sauce with green beans for dinner.

Had a GREAT workout this morning. FINALLY got the weekend off from work! Took the kids to school, then hit the gym, and my back felt pretty well all considered. Planning on restarting Crossfit this week now that I'm feeling better. Man oh man am I glad that back thing is done with!

Had an incredible lunch too, with this awesome "Hub Cap Cobb Salad" from a local resteraunt. Avocado, lettuce, tomato, chicken, bacon, hardboiled eggs, onion, spinach, etc. Finished it with a cookie (which isn't the greatest) but it was nice to take the kids out. Wanted to hit the zoo too, but it was closed. Maybe tomorrow.

I need to figure out how to get my kids into more vegetables.

The cookies are f**king with me. Has anyone experienced, what I can only describe as, stomach tremors after trying SAD carbs again? It's not painful, but I feel like utter crap. Anyone know what's going on?

XYZ
    XYZ is offline Senior Member
    It's your stomach telling you not to do that crap again.

I'm not sure. I know that the few times I've eaten a lot of bread since I've been out here I was screwed up for about a day. It's really easy to stay away from the grains because of that. Now if I could just get the stupid sugar back under control.

You hit the nail on the head about comfort food on a deployment. Gah!

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member
    Arikara,

The last time I had wheat was at a Giants game this spring. Everyone was having hot dogs, so I succumbed. I promised myself I would just eat the dog and leave the bun...but I caved

Had the trots the whole next day. Bleah.

We're PREGNANT! WOOHOO!!!

I'm back in the gym, doing cleans with 185 (not my heaviest, but not bad). Mixed it up with some of my buddies - just a good gym day all around.

Pretty good PB day too for what it's worth! Woooo!

So, it's been a bit...almost a month since I've posted anything of note anywhere on here...and now I'm back. I wish I could say that I was good whilst I was MIA, but that isn't the case. I caved...BAD. I could make all sorts of excuses - work stress, pregnant wife who isn't primal AT ALL (*sigh*), difficult times with extended family - but it all adds up to the fact that I'm an emotional eater. Life gets a little tough (and I mean, seriously, who isn't dealing with something or other on a daily basis?) and I find myself turning to those ridiculous comfort foods that got me here in the first place. Pathetic.

I was down around 240 just before summer leave, and have gained back about 9 of that since. I have been off and on with the strict eating, and then this past week have just fallen apart. I was doing great with the Primal fitness, and sort of self-destructed on a colossal scale this past weekend (no sleep, eating crap - just couldn't get up the gumption). Today was it - I'm sitting here, feeling sorry for myself, and saying no mas.

So, I'm back. Tomorrow morning I step on the scale, and I come back for a little accountability. I remember losing the first 25, and rolling into the Squadron Ball in the Dress Blues I wore 10 years ago and thinking I was hot stuff. I want that back. See you all tomorrow.

248. 8 pounds back after the worst crash ever. I haven't been so annoyed with myself in FOREVER. And to compound matters - it's been impossible to get back to the gym for the past 3 days - so I can't even work off the aggression. Rough week.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast