Thread: 5 RM weight for 20 + reps ! page

OldSchhool is online now Senior Member

Exclamation 5 RM weight for 20 + reps !

Drop sets have been around since god was a lad but sometimes they get forgotten and more often than not they are used in a way that makes the exercise easier instead of harder !

Let's explain that last part, most people I see drop the weight down before they really hit true momentary muscular failure and they also drop it down by more weight than they need to.......both of these actions serve to make the exercise easier instead of harder.

Yesterday I used them on the leg press, I started with 540 lbs and did maybe 5 slow strict reps to failure, my wife then removed one 45 lb plate which allowed me to get maybe another 4-5 reps, after another 45 lb plate was removed I squeezed out another very tough 4-5 reps.....I continued till I failed at rep 22 and could stand the pain no longer.
    For a few minutes I was physically unable to get up out of the seat and once I stood up the nausea started. For the following few minutes I retched, fighting hard not to mess up the nice gym floor.

My legs remained shaky for about an hour and they left me feeling physically drained. There is no way that I could have done a second set and even if there was it would have been surplus to requirements as that one set had already done it's job.

I find these work best on machines as you can just remove weight from one side at a time, obviously you have to remove from both sides when using a barbell !

Give them a try and let me know what you think.

This is one of my favorite old clips of Bertil Fox using them on the Bench Press:

Jefferson1775 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSchhool View Post
    For a few minutes I was physically unable to get up out of the seat and once I stood up the nausea started. For the following few minutes I retched, fighting hard not to mess up the nice gym floor.

Give them a try and let me know what you think.
    OS, you really know how to sell them, haha.
    In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

This message has been intercepted by the NSA, the only branch of government that listens.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    I have pretty good strength endurance at the moment and I am using 20 plates on the leg press machine for the top set. I usually start the set with my legs in a frog stance aiming for 12 good reps before lockout on top. When close to failure I stop at top and rest for around 10 seconds and then I go for 8 more reps. So comes another 10 seconds of rest and changing foot position to low on the wagon, like I should do heel raises and I shoot for the same numbers of reps and rest. And finally I put my legs in the middle and do the same, hitting butt and hamstring harder. Usually the reps of such a giant set range total 50–60 reps. Then I strip off two plates and do the same, pausing for around 20 seconds, and then another set…
    Being just an old fashioned guy myself; I’m beyond tired of all these fragile mama boys (and girls!) with powder in their gluteus and soft pillows under their arm pits that cannot recover from their 3 days a week abbreviated “strength” routine…

mdoc is offline Junior Member
    Not to be a complete spoilsport (cos what you describe does sound fun!), but with such extreme muscular limit-pushing and getting to the point of feeling physically ill, how does one dodge the risk of something like rhabdomyolysis? I.e., how to recognize when you've gone too far??... Genuinely wondering.

4Ever Young is offline Junior Member
    mdoc,

For an experienced trainee the drop set described will not lead to anything like that. If you attempted to do several more sets in this manner then it could I guess. But done correctly you will not even remotely want to do a second go around. It may sound fun but trust me, if you are doing it correctly it is not fun in the least. Its a brutal experience through and through.

Quote Originally Posted by 4Ever Young View Post
    mdoc,

For an experienced trainee the drop set described will not lead to anything like that. If you attempted to do several more sets in this manner then it could I guess. But done correctly you will not even remotely want to do a second go around. It may sound fun but trust me, if you are doing it correctly it is not fun in the least. Its a brutal experience through and through.
    Well said !

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mdoc View Post
    Not to be a complete spoilsport (cos what you describe does sound fun!), but with such extreme muscular limit-pushing and getting to the point of feeling physically ill, how does one dodge the risk of something like rhabdomyolysis? I.e., how to recognize when you've gone too far??... Genuinely wondering.
    So much crazy training I have seen and done for almost forty years, I've never experienced this yet, never even heard about it before I read about it in these forums! Stay hydrated and you’ll be fine…
    Being just an old fashioned guy myself; I’m beyond tired of all these fragile mama boys (and girls!) with powder in their gluteus and soft pillows under their arm pits that cannot recover from their 3 days a week abbreviated “strength” routine…

Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    So much crazy training I have seen and done for almost forty years, I've never experienced this yet, never even heard about it before I read about it in these forums! Stay hydrated and you’ll be fine…
    Same here buddy, I think it's a condition invented by the Cross fit crowd !

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Is that Bertil Fox documentary any good?