Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primal Camping Menu page

Meadow is offline Senior Member

Primal Camping Menu

Shop Now
    We went camping over the weekend and I decided to only bring primal grub, period. Normally I bring lots of processed and carby items just to make it easy, but now that my husband is on board with living a primal lifestyle, it was time to step it up.

We did not backpack in, so our meals were based off having a cooler and a grill to cook on. I still kept dishes and ingredients very minimal, I was quite happy with how little work I had to do while camping.

Overall, I think it was a success. Just took some forethought and was really not that hard. Check out the links for more detail.

Here was the menu I came up with on short notice using almost all items we already had, and here were some photos and thoughts on the results.

I am already planning our next trip.....must use the fire more....

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    Wow, that sounds like a great idea and a lot of fun. I'll have to give that a shot at some point.

Marisa is offline Senior Member
    Great looking stuff! This comes in very handy since I'm going on a multi-state roadtrip in mid-July (first vacation since becoming Primal!) and we'll be doing a lot of cooking on our camping stove. Thanks!

Marisa, one good one for portable breakfasts is just hard boiled eggs. If we had gone longer I would have had a bunch of those in the cooler as well (hubby is not a big fan).

Marisa is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadow View Post
    Marisa, one good one for portable breakfasts is just hard boiled eggs. If we had gone longer I would have had a bunch of those in the cooler as well (hubby is not a big fan).
    I'd love to make/take a bunch of hard boiled eggs (just started eating them after 10+ years of eating only scrambled...and nothing else) but I'm worried about keeping them cold in our cooler that's going to be in the backseat or trunk. We'll be driving in California so I'm unsure how hot it will get and I don't know how often we'll get to "ice up" the cooler (I think we'll pre-cook meat as well, or cook and eat ASAP after we buy it). Is there a minimum temperature the eggs would need to be kept?

I think you would be surprised at how long ice will last in a cooler. If you wanted to be extra careful you could have two coolers....one with say drinks and your snacks/meals for the day that you open often, and another with meats and more perishables that you open less frequently. My husband is a hunter, so he often times has to store meat in coolers for days and on long road trips, and he has had no problems. You can buy large 'blocks' of ice, which melt much slower. We like to put in our big cooler a couple solid blocks, and then surround everything with loose ice. We drain the water off daily, but even in really hot weather a few bags of ice and a block of ice will last 3-4 days. Just try to not open it very often. Snug the more perishable stuff like raw meats and such down close to the ice.

As for hard boiled eggs, I have eaten them when they have been in my purse for 8 hours without cold......I like to take them on airline trips.

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    I always take multiple coolers too when I go camping. That and I freeze a bunch of water bottles to help make them stay cooler longer.

Mainer is offline Senior Member
    You are now on my cool list, very creative and adventurous
    You'll never see the light if you're in someone else's shadow, or said another way, life is like a dog sled team, if you're not the lead dog, the scenery never changes

Carnivore is offline Member
    Thanks for sharing this! I just cut and pasted the whole list and am off to look up recipes. We're going camping next weekend so this is very timely!

MeatMe216 is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    duck and bacon skewers?!?!?! HOLY EFF. I love you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast