Page 30 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2028293031 LastLast

Thread: This Forum Has Changed A Lot page 30

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by MEversbergII View Post
    Dunno, I am the guy with the cha logogram for an avatar...

Are you active over at TeaChat at all?

M.
    No I am not. Though, I have lurked there a few times.

I'm sure I could easily and quickly become one of their respected "tea experts" if I wanted to be.

Or would they call me a blasphemer for trying the "yerba mate" thing (and loving it)?

[/InternetFame]
    "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Jefferson1775 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    My nephew went into the Marines. He signed up at age 17. I can't believe they let you make decisions like that at that age. At first it seemed like a really good thing for him. He looked so handsome after basic training, too. Then he went to Iraq. He came back pretty unhappy and messed up. It seemed like maybe he was ruined. But he turned around after getting some help and now he seems so happy and he's even going to college so he can become a counselor and help other Marines who come home with PTSD.
    About a year ago, I was waiting to get a haircut at a place in my hometown. A group of ladies was in there, and one of them had her son with her. He's a few years older than me, but we made some videos together for a class in high school, and I remember him as being very hard working and having a good sense of humor. He had apparently gotten back from Iraq (served in the Marines) a few months earlier, and the ladies were thanking him for his service and telling him what a good influence it would have on his life.

He left to go run an errand, and as soon as he went out the door, his mom started talking about how he had changed for the worse. She said that he was having a hard time adjusting back to civilian life and wished that he had never joined in the first place. And the other ladies said they were thankful that none of their sons had enlisted.

People in my small part of the world are such hypocrites about the military. They'll thank veterans for their service and hoop and holler when soldiers are recognized at sporting events. But in private, they'll talk about how everyone that's seen combat just isn't right in the head and hope that none of their children decide to join. They'll also claim that they're Christian and worship the Prince of Peace, and then go vote for war-mongering politicians at every damn election.
    In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

This message has been intercepted by the NSA, the only branch of government that listens.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    My nephew went into the Marines. He signed up at age 17. I can't believe they let you make decisions like that at that age. At first it seemed like a really good thing for him. He looked so handsome after basic training, too. Then he went to Iraq. He came back pretty unhappy and messed up. It seemed like maybe he was ruined. But he turned around after getting some help and now he seems so happy and he's even going to college so he can become a counselor and help other Marines who come home with PTSD.
    Awesome for him.

MEversbergII is offline Senior Member
    I still wish they could have stuck my ass in a tank or something where I didn't need legs.

Make use of me.

M.

RittenRemedy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson1775 View Post
    About a year ago, I was waiting to get a haircut at a place in my hometown. A group of ladies was in there, and one of them had her son with her. He's a few years older than me, but we made some videos together for a class in high school, and I remember him as being very hard working and having a good sense of humor. He had apparently gotten back from Iraq (served in the Marines) a few months earlier, and the ladies were thanking him for his service and telling him what a good influence it would have on his life.

He left to go run an errand, and as soon as he went out the door, his mom started talking about how he had changed for the worse. She said that he was having a hard time adjusting back to civilian life and wished that he had never joined in the first place. And the other ladies said they were thankful that none of their sons had enlisted.

People in my small part of the world are such hypocrites about the military. They'll thank veterans for their service and hoop and holler when soldiers are recognized at sporting events. But in private, they'll talk about how everyone that's seen combat just isn't right in the head and hope that none of their children decide to join. They'll also claim that they're Christian and worship the Prince of Peace, and then go vote for war-mongering politicians at every damn election.
    I just think that I work hard to preserve their rights to be simple minded. I think the same thing when I get kicked out of hooka bars for being a baby killer, just slightly more pissed off.

Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson1775 View Post

everyone that's seen combat just isn't right in the head
    truth. I know a ton of veterans from several different conflicts and NONE of them are right in the head. NONE of them. not one exception. you can't participate in actual combat and be the same afterwards. so as a consolation, we (as a society) kiss their asses and hold their hands, just hoping we can bribe them with enough freebies and discounts to keep them from killing civilians. don't get me wrong, I have the utmost respect for soldiers and veterans, but the majority of combat veterans have no chance of being successful members of society. sadly, once you sign those papers, uncle sam gets you for the rest of your life, whether you realize it or not

MEversbergII is offline Senior Member
    I know some combat vets. They're pretty fine. Better than most, even.

M.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I was the only one in my family to tell my nephew to his face that I was happy for him that he joined the Marines and I meant it. We're not a family of military people and I'm not a rah-rah patriot or anything like that. I thought he would get to see other places in the world and have an amazing adventure. I felt bad for him that his experience was so damaging and that he struggled when he returned. And being a college student he's still got a tough road ahead of him what with how they front-load young people with so much college debt these days. But I'm still happy for him. We all have our paths to follow and it's good to see him succeeding after taking a different path from most. That's success in my book. I work at a university and see a lot of people who are probably just going through the motions, following a safe script that's been laid out for them. They look sort of lost. My nephew took his life by the balls, made his own decisions even though they were unpopular, and came out the other side. Something to be celebrated.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MEversbergII View Post
    I know some combat vets. They're pretty fine. Better than most, even.

M.
    same, with the exception of one guy. he was a class clown in school, caught up with him after he got back from afghanistan. his demeanor was off and i kept getting the urge to back away slowly

everyone else though? happy or at least content, with famillies and jobs
    beautiful
    yeah you are

Over the next 90 minutes, I want to show you that all of your problems can be solved with my penis.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Probably not particularly relevant (because old is obviously not relevant), but the few Vietnam vets I knew came back disillusioned and with the feeling that Uncle Sam had screwed them in the butt without buying them dinner first. I didn't know any truly loony ones, but the ones I knew probably weren't going to become mainstream lackeys fersure. Most of them became people who know how to screw the system and I can't say that I didn't admire and learn from them.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Page 30 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2028293031 LastLast